Couple of Questions

cuttingedge

I currently live in NY and I have a NYS Pistol License. My family owns a farm in Bucksport, Me. I visit the property several times a year and was wondering if I can bring firearms with me specifically Handguns? What are the laws for traveling with a handgun and also can I shoot on the property that my family owns (Target)?

Thanks

Specifically for handguns:
- if you're a felon, you cannot have a handgun in your possession. Period.
- if you don't have a valid Maine concealed firearm permit (or one honored by Maine), the gun must be unloaded and the ammo separated from the gun (remove the magazine) while in your vehicle.
- exception is if you feel your life (or the lives of those in your vehicle) is being threatened, then you can have a loaded weapon and discharge the same in the direction of the threat.
- an exception for rifles, all rifles must be unloaded while in your vehicle, permit or no permit
- however, Maine is an open carry state, so while not in your vehicle, you can carry openly without a permit (no carry whatsoever in school zones, US post offices, etc.)
- if you do have a valid Maine concealed firearm permit, you can transport a loaded handgun, or 2 or 3 or whatever.
- Maine is a "preemptive State" which means no municipalities can enact ordinances that negate State law...meaning Maine gun laws are what the State says they are, not the individual municipalities.
- Exception to "State preemption", each municipality can determine, for non-life threatening situations, where you can discharge firearms (within city limits, outside city limit, etc). This exception does not pertain to carrying (concealed or openly), only to discharge during non-life threatening yadda yadda you get the idea.
- Maine has a "Castle Doctrine" but not "Stand Your Ground"; however the "duty to retreat" doesn't override "imminent danger", if you "feel" that your life is in imminent danger, you don't have a duty to retreat; otherwise, you need to retreat. Like I said, not cut-and-dry
- If you witness someone about to commit arson (and only for arson/attempted arson), you are at liberty to stop them using whatever means are at your disposal

Shooting on your property:
- this is determined by a bunch of things: what types of property abuts to yours, school zone extended into your property, houses close too close together, road ways on the far end of the property, location of property (within city limits, outside city limits, etc)
- so maybe yes, and maybe no
- generally speaking, large tracts of land designated as farm land should be ok to target practice on since they're normally outside city limits with no schools close by, and neighbors are a fair ways down the road...but check first so that you don't get into trouble with the local constabulary.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/re...heat-iphoneandroid-app/#.UUSc5AfSrn5.facebook
Many laws are on our No Carry Zone, Justification and Important Links page at Home Page

As a two state property owner you may also buy a long gun and or handgun in Maine too. Have your property tax bill and or utility bill. Link Removed

Maine-CWP-Training, your website has an impressive amount of information on it, especially the announcements of upcoming classes, locations and times.

Do you have any plans to consolidate the Maine Laws that pertain to our right to keep and bear arms into the common man's vernacular? I stumble over the legalese of several of our statutes.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back