Could/should a CCW help a Police Officer?

Situation #2 is a little different ..."the suspect charged the cruiser and pointed a gun at the officer, who was still behind the wheel". In this case, the officers life was in imminent danger. In the first example, the officer is going about regular business. Your scenario in the first incident did not indicate that the officer was in any imminent danger, simply that he had the suspects at gunpoint. In the second scenario the officer is being "charged" (attacked) and the suspect is pointing a gun at the officer. who is in a position of vulnerability (still seated).

If you can't see the difference between a BG sitting in a vehicle with a gun in the rear Vs. a badguy charging you with a gun pointed at you then I recommend a refresher course.

I think he's pointing out the non-LEO joined a pursuit, not the actions following...

Being a reserve S.O. Deputy, I would take cover and engage the BGs with my handgun, on or off duty.

If I wasn't a LEO and had a firearm with me, I would do the same. I will not stand around and watch a Officer get gunned down. Unless he is Jason Bourne, he will have problems with 4 bad guys shooting at him.

Training scenario? not likely, there would be police barricades and yellow police tape around the perimeter, or something would be there to alert people to the training.

The Post, Houston, TX
In the finest tradition of armed citizens who take on crime in their communities, Texan Travis Neel helped save a wounded Harris County deputy sheriff's life. Witnessing the shooting by one of a trio of Houston gang members after a traffic stop just west of Houston, Neel--who was on his way to his pistol range--pulled his gun and fired, driving the officer's assailants away. An off-duty sheriff's deputy also came on the scene and joined Neel in covering the deputy, whose life was saved by his body armor. The trio was captured after a manhunt.

I work at the same Dept. I was in Communications, but I was off that day. One of the gang members hid in the back seat area of the SUV and later jumped out and started shooting at the Deputy. He pulled his gun and returned fire and his Glock jammed on him. He crawled under his police car to try and avoid the rounds. He was hit a couple of times. The citizen pulls up and steps out with, i believe, a CZ 75 9mm and shoots at the gang. They take off running into the neighborhood. an off duty deputy comes running up to aid the wounded deputy. a Massive manhunt ensued and they found the bad guys.

The Citizen got an award for saving the Deputy and I believe a Winchester Rep. presented him with a case of 9mm cartridges so he can practice his markmenship. He did scare off the attackers, but he didn't hit a single one of them.

The Glock jammed?!! What?!! How can this be? Oh, man, gotta check my piece...fire it some more....will it jam? What to do? What to do? Oh, wait...I shoot an XD...it's never jammed on me...whew!

Just couldn't resist poking all you "Glock snobs"! :haha: (Geez, jk, jk...lighten up!)

BTW, I'll help LEO whose under fire, any time, any place. Tis the right thing to do.

I was referring to the "live fire training exercise." It wasn't in bold letters, I don't understand where the "hence the bold" comment comes from, no need to snip. Maybe I should re-word my question: what is a live fire training exercise? Except for in the military, I was under the impression that training was conducted with "blanks." After researching, I find that there is that type of training with civilian agencies too, especially law enforcement. So, sorry, my bad, my ignorance.

I was referring to the "live fire training exercise." It wasn't in bold letters, I don't understand where the "hence the bold" comment comes from, no need to snip. .

No...no snipping..."hence the bold" was a reply to Post #21 which was a reply to Post #18...nothing about your question/comments at all. :redface:

Yes, but very cautiously and only after asking or being requested to do so. There was an incident here where a Motorcycle Officer was being over powered by a local dirtbag, and they were struggling over his gun. The officer managed to get a shot off in the guys gut, but the struggle went on as if nothing had happened. A CCW Permitee arrived on the scene and the officer was calling for someone to help. The CCW guy, armed with a 45 auto warned the bad guy to let go of the officers gun or he would shoot. The bad guy continued and the officer yelled, shoot him, shoot him! The CCW guy fired a couple of rounds into the chest area, but he continued to fight. Finally the CCW guy put one in his head and he toppled over. There was the usual news stories about how the Choir Boy "victim" was on his way to the Red Cross to help crippled children and sang in the church choir 7 days a week and gave all of the money he made to feed the hungry and the usual Al Sharpton/ Jessie Jackass crap. But the officer and CCW Permitee were both cleared in the shoot. He was even given a civilian award of merit by the Police Dept.
Whatever you do, understand that even undercover officers get killed occassionally by other cops responding to assist. Use caution, make it known that you're the good guy. Offer to help or respond to a request.

In the hustle and bustle of an ongoing situation it is pretty much impossible to identify yourself satisfactorily as a good guy. Police show badges, but we have nothing that will readily identify us positively as an honest citizen. The HCP looks just like a drivers license and is too small to read at a distance. The problem here (in stated scenario) is that you are just another guy with a gun and you are not in uniform. The scenario would have to develop a lot further before I would whip out the J Frame and start blasting.

Sure....would love to be able to help. I guess it would depend on my proximity to the LEO, etc. You'd definitely want to let the LEO you were willing to help. I'm sure he / she wouldn't mind...but then you gotta think about arriving units on the scene, etc....being misidentified....

I'm sure he / she wouldn't mind...

He might even appreciate it enough to send a nice floral arrangement to the funeral home when you get your ass capped by the units arriving to assist officer with "men with a gun, shots fired" call. :)

This has been in my drawer since I had it made about 40 years ago. After I ordered it, I decide I did not need it.
detailgoldbadge1776.jpg

New Mexico highway: Traffic Stop, NM State Police officer 'involved' in fight for his life. Truck driver intervened and arrest of Career Violent Repeat Offender, resulted.

2nd scenario: Same area. NM SP Officer killed by Career Violent Repeat Offender, due to NO passing motorist intervention.

3rd scenario: Veteran New Mexico State Police Officer, stopped suspects. Career Violent Repeat Offenders shot Officer, left him dying on Rt 66 west of ABQ. NO intervention by passing motorists (Witnessed the assailants vehicle U turn on my approach, saw his idling cruiser, did not witness assault, could not see his body) Career Violent Repeat Offenders, the black assailants hijacked an airliner and forced it to fly to Cuba. International incident resulted. Assailants never returned

4th scenario: New Mexico Sheriff Deputy, assaulted during routine traffic stop E of ABQ, killed by Career Violent Repeat Offender. No intervention by passing motorists in area.

Many more recorded...... BEFORE NM CCW became Popular, and increasingly common.
NM Officers now Actively assist in Certified CCW training programs. Classrooms are in several Sheriffs offices. Only the Law Abiding Citizens Certify CCW.

"The Man With a Sword, is a Free Man, the Man without is... a Slave"..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back