Costco has a no firearms policy!

I am still waiting to receive a reply from Costco. Wonder if it'll be a form letter...

I give my business to sans club. Better prices and and I can carry. I had Costco membership and when it came time to renew I told them I told them exactly that. I don't think they really cared but I felt better. Just like restaurants, I never go back if I see a sign.

Ok, here's the letter, in it's entirety (names changed to protect the...me!)...

"Dear Providence Ranch,

I am responding to your September 21, 2011 letter to Costco's corporate office.

We are a private membership club, and have the right to make rules that we deem to be in the best interests of our members. We do not believe that it is necessary for our members to carry weapons while shopping with us. On the other hand, we fully understand that members like you may either be off-duty law enforcement officers or have valid permits to carry concealed weapons, and so long as they remain concealed while shopping, would never become an issue. In other words, none of our employees or your fellow shoppers would be aware of the weapon, and therefore you would not be asked to remove it from the building.

Where we have had serious issues in the past is with members who have openly brandished their weapons in a manner that makes other shoppers uncomfortable. It puts us in the position of mediating between a member who claims the right to carry a weapon, and a member who claims to have the right to shop without being intimidated by the presence of firearms. Our decision has been to prohibit the carrying of weapons in all of our locations around the world. The vast majority of our members appreciate this policy. Those who continue to shop while carrying a permitted concealed weapon do not cause a problem for our members or staff because thier weapons are concealed, and their rights never come into question. It seems to work for most people.

Providence Ranch, I trust this letter addresses your concerns."

Ok, so to begin with, don't you just LOVE their use of the word 'brandishing' to describe open carry? Anyway, I am very thankful for what appears to be a personal response, rather than a form letter. I am also thankful that they are apparently cool with those of us who carry concealed continuing to do so, despite the fact that their policy expressly forbids it. I am not sure they are aware that in some states, failure to adhere to this policy is a violation of law, and thereby their policy DOES bring a person's rights into question. Anyway, I'm certain that the more discerning of this forum's readers can identify any of several other issues.

So have at it. What are your thoughts?

Not all do. Rocky mountain gun owners here in colorado were able able to get some store managers to take down there signs and allow concealed carry

Summerlin Las Vegas Costco shooting. Edit: not enough information, conflicting witnesses. He had a ccw, but unknown what happened or how he was carrying.

Have another uncle who is a supervisor at the Costco near indio kommiefornia...I'll message him how his store works as well.

How many times has a person gotten flamed on this forum for saying, "Concealed means concealed and I don't care what company policy is?"

Ok, here's the letter, in it's entirety (names changed to protect the...me!)...

"Dear Providence Ranch,

I am responding to your September 21, 2011 letter to Costco's corporate office.

We are a private membership club, and have the right to make rules that we deem to be in the best interests of our members. We do not believe that it is necessary for our members to carry weapons while shopping with us. On the other hand, we fully understand that members like you may either be off-duty law enforcement officers or have valid permits to carry concealed weapons, and so long as they remain concealed while shopping, would never become an issue. In other words, none of our employees or your fellow shoppers would be aware of the weapon, and therefore you would not be asked to remove it from the building.

Where we have had serious issues in the past is with members who have openly brandished their weapons in a manner that makes other shoppers uncomfortable. It puts us in the position of mediating between a member who claims the right to carry a weapon, and a member who claims to have the right to shop without being intimidated by the presence of firearms. Our decision has been to prohibit the carrying of weapons in all of our locations around the world. The vast majority of our members appreciate this policy. Those who continue to shop while carrying a permitted concealed weapon do not cause a problem for our members or staff because thier weapons are concealed, and their rights never come into question. It seems to work for most people.

Providence Ranch, I trust this letter addresses your concerns."

Ok, so to begin with, don't you just LOVE their use of the word 'brandishing' to describe open carry? Anyway, I am very thankful for what appears to be a personal response, rather than a form letter. I am also thankful that they are apparently cool with those of us who carry concealed continuing to do so, despite the fact that their policy expressly forbids it. I am not sure they are aware that in some states, failure to adhere to this policy is a violation of law, and thereby their policy DOES bring a person's rights into question. Anyway, I'm certain that the more discerning of this forum's readers can identify any of several other issues.

So have at it. What are your thoughts?

Guess Im not renewing my membership.

I shop at Costco in Lancaster, CA. There are no signs saying NO GUNS. With the above letter I'd say they are just being careful. Why fight it when they don't enforce it.

I shop at Costco in Lancaster, CA. There are no signs saying NO GUNS. With the above letter I'd say they are just being careful. Why fight it when they don't enforce it.

I've seen cases where Costco chooses to "enforce it" by asking patrons who OC to "cover up or leave". I'd much prefer to deal with a company like Sam's Club who allows patrons to choose how they wish to exercise their 2A rights as long as they're in compliance with local laws.

Costco Reno NV Plumb Lane posted 'no firearms' sign

The Costco warehouse on Plumb Lane, Reno, NV, recently posted a 'no firearms' sign. I emailed their corporate hq, for an explanation. It was pretty much cookie-cutter from letters and emails posted here (and elsewhere) from prior years. Mostly "feel good" stuff, like keeping our customers happy and safe.

Costco only allows members ($50.00) to enter; and relies on the honesty of their members to comply with this policy.

According to their email reply to me, violation of this policy is subject to a stern reminder of the policy, OR cancellation of Costco membership. Wow. That ought to keep violent criminals and the insane from hauling firearms inside.

Like many of my friends, I shall continue to carry concealed.

The Costco warehouse on Plumb Lane, Reno, NV, recently posted a 'no firearms' sign. I emailed their corporate hq, for an explanation. It was pretty much cookie-cutter from letters and emails posted here (and elsewhere) from prior years. Mostly "feel good" stuff, like keeping our customers happy and safe.

Costco only allows members ($50.00) to enter; and relies on the honesty of their members to comply with this policy.

According to their email reply to me, violation of this policy is subject to a stern reminder of the policy, OR cancellation of Costco membership. Wow. That ought to keep violent criminals and the insane from hauling firearms inside.

Like many of my friends, I shall continue to carry concealed.

Why not go a step further and patronize an establishment like Sam's Club where your firearms are welcomed?

I'll have to look out more carefully. I've never seen a "no guns" sign at my local Costco locations. Oregon is a "businesses must notify - but there is no standard for notification" to bar guns. So to me, no sign means concealed carry is okay. If there is no sign, and the guy at the door doesn't tell me "no" (and since I'm CCing, he would have no way to know,) then there's no reason to ask and PROMPT them to put up a sign.

Have another uncle who is a supervisor at the Costco near indio kommiefornia...I'll message him how his store works as well.

I've never seen a no guns sign at any store in Kalifornia. As far as I know there is no law authorizing no gun signs in Kalifornia. So if that is true the most any sign can mean in Kalifornia is you have to leave if they ask you or you are trespassing.

Costco further explains its policy

Costco replied to my further queries.

As explained, Costco policy makes a distinction between OC and CC. Their policy is an attempt to prevent OC, which at some Costco sites has caused customers to raise the firearms issue. Some customers felt intimidated or nervous, and complained to Costco management.

Costco recognizes that customers (legally) carrying concealed do not get the same response from other customers.

This seems to me to be e reasonable policy.

There's no posting at the entrance of the Medford, OR Costco against firearms as required by Oregon law if they don't want people to carry in their store. None at either Ace Hardware either.

Do they pat you down or make you walk through a metal detector when you go in, if not how would they possibly know if you are concealing a weapon?

Costco Arizona no guns sign

Cawpin, The Costco at 83rd and Bell has the sign posted but I've gone in OPEN carrying with no problems.
BBflamingo

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back