Corbon Pow'R Ball vs. Winchester PDX1

Drexen Del'Sangre

Heya guys, Im trying to make a decision between these 2 rounds for my 9mm. I currently use the Winchester PDX1, but am hearing a lot of great feedback on the Pow'r ball rounds. Anyone have experience with both rounds and have an opinion on the 2 rounds?

Here's a person that compared expansion on several self defense rounds. I've always like Corbon but the Winchester did the best.

THR - View Single Post - Some CCW Ammo data

He compared the following rounds.

Winchester PDX1 Bonded 9mm 124gr +P, Hornady Critical Defense 9mm 115gr, Cor-Bon Pow'R Ball 9mm 100gr +P, Federal Hydra Shock 9mm 124gr +P

GEDC0258.jpg

He said he got 12.5 inches of penetration from the PDX1

Under perfect conditions every round will perform as advertised. Problem is, you rarely have perfect conditions in the real world. Try shooting half a dozen rounds of each through layers of clothing like denim or jacket material. I think you'll find the Powerball or Critical Defense style round will perform better more often than a traditional "hollow" JHP.

From testing that I have seen and performed I'd go with the PDX ammo over the Powerball any day of the week. The Winchester bullet is very reliable in expanding through heavy clothing.

I'd only use the Powerball if JHPs were banned from use.

I have both the PDX1 and Critical Defense in my mags. I figure give the BG one of each in case THEY have a preference..:sarcastic:

I liked the results for both with expansion... PDX1 is good stuff, sort of the same technology that was the Black Talon..

That's one of their main selling points. Also some revolver speed loaders don't work well with hollowpoints.

Indeed, but that issue is mostly confied to NJ. The Powerball is nowhere near as good a choice as a quality JHP, although I have found in some older pistols that were never made to run with JHPs the Powerball is a good choice due to a very reliable feed profile.

In revolvers I have never had an issue with JHPs, I have when trying to speedload LSWCHP though.

For me it's about consistency. The Powerball might not always be the best of the bunch but I've never seen a test where it fails to expand. I can't say that about HPs. Granted, I haven't seen every test ever done (nobody has) but I've seen quite a few. I also use Hornaday Critical Defense. I've seen one test where one CD slug failed to expand. It was attributed to a defective bullet.

For my personal safety I'll go with the ammo that always seems to function as advertised. Powerball/Critical Defense it is.

Oddly enough, I seem to have some problem with the Critical Defense ammo in my Kel-Tec P-11. It functions properly while firing the gun, but the bullet gets beat up when I rack the slide to chamber a round and then take the round out to see if it shows signs of damage. I have some BVAC 124 grain hollow points with similar bullet profile, and the bullet is even seated further out than the 115 grain Critical Defense, but the 124's bullets don't get beat up while racking one in the chamber. :wacko:

I haven't used any of the Pow'R-Balls in my 709 yet, but the only bullet type it has chose not to feed properly was Federal WB 115gr JHP +P+. I think the round was just to damned hot and my gun was trying to eject and load simultaneously, because that is exactly what happened several times. I've not used anything more powerful than a std load since... :fie:

Yea, I only use standard pressure loads in all my handguns. If I can't get the job done with those, I'm in over my head anyway.

The biggest issue I have with PowerBall is the extremely rounded nose profile. Read your Jim Cirillo to figure out why that bugs me.

In some guns +P is a problem, in other guns +P makes the gun run better. It all depends.

We have had great service from the 124gr +P Gold Dot 9mm load at my job.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back