Cop's carry guns WHY!

The officer might have thought the clerk was being a wise guy asking for I.D. seeing as how she was in unifrom. Then again it is policy and the law in many areas if the person looks young and you are not sure how old they are to check their I.D. Either way the officer was way out of line with her reaction and comments.

I'm an E5 in the AF, 27 years old, and I get carded all the time on base while in uniform. All the workers there know that 99.9% of all E5s are over 21, yet they still card me due to the fact that I look underage.

Matter of fact, when I used to smoke (stopped in Feb this year) I'd STILL get carded on base while in uniform. Guess how many times I got pissed off about it? :laugh:

I thought women took it as as compliment when they get carded?

I call that the 'GOD' complex. I've seen it before. They think since they have a gun and a badge that they are above everyone. Luckily they get rid of them before they get too high in the department and luckily they are a very small minority in LE.

I had a restaurant near my home that had just opened and they were carding EVERYBODY! I was around 50 years old but when the waitress asked for ID I gave it to her (after I got through laughing).

And then there's my mom, carded when she was 75 years old for a bottle of beer. Go figure! :biggrin:

I once asked about carding people who are obviously over age and was told that when there's an infraction of the liquor laws in NV, the store may be required to asked every customer for ID for a period of time. It's like an extra punishment for failure to follow the rules.

I guess if you sell liquor to someone underage, the store is fined and all employees must card everyone for a month or two to make them be more diligent (I was told there's be obviously overage people coming in to check as well)

Cop's carry guns WHY!

....... Cause they don't have room on their duty belts for a CCW/CWP permit holder!?!?!? :lol:

Just kidding out there to all my Cop friends!

I once asked about carding people who are obviously over age and was told that when there's an infraction of the liquor laws in NV, the store may be required to asked every customer for ID for a period of time. It's like an extra punishment for failure to follow the rules.

I guess if you sell liquor to someone underage, the store is fined and all employees must card everyone for a month or two to make them be more diligent (I was told there's be obviously overage people coming in to check as well)

I've heard that as well around here, it wouldn't surprise me. Makes a bit of sense as well.

The LEO in this story is just a bad apple...
He shouldn't have been surprised at being asked for his ID, however...In some states (wouldn't surprise me if MA is one of them) it's the law to card everyone no matter what... why? It's not to verify age all the time, but in some states, it is illegal to purchase alcohol or...more often...to "frequent an establishment in the business of serving alcohol" without you i.d. -- how do I know this? A buddy of mine got a ticket once for being in a bar even though he was 21...the owner of the bar got in trouble for letting him be there... the rest of the story? Well, the place was known for serving minors, the cops raided the place, didn't believe my roommate (he looked young) and the judge cited the law that all persons must have their i.d. on their person when in such an establishment, changed the charge to *I can't remember what* and it stuck... $100 fine. That was Idaho circa 1990...

On a related note: here in the greater Portland Oregon area, all Chevron stations card every single person no matter what. It's corporate policy, and although I buy a six pack a couple times a week at the same place, where they know me, they always thank me for producing an ID because they have to ask...they also like me to produce it in a manner that is visible to the security cams because the tapes are reviewed by their manager, and they get in trouble if they don't look at a valid ID (even from little old ladies).

It always irritated me to be "carded" when purchasing, but as my wife reminded me, it is often required by law. I don't like the aggrevation, but since I'm not LEO, I just follow the law - I don't think there is any wording in the law to exclude LEO.

Don't see what the problem was. There are many stores that have policies that require that employees card everyone for "age restricted purchases". If the officer was concerned about her personal information, she could easily produce her department issued ID card (as she was on duty). AFAIK, most departments require officers to produce said dept. issued ID when a citizen requests verification of their LE status.

I was at a 7-Eleven store near my home about a year ago. The store is near a police substation. Many officers (on and off duty) make purchases in the store. Back in November of '07, the store instituted a "card everyone" policy. There were numerous signs posted in the store and at the registers. An off duty cop comes in and attempted to purchase a 6-pack. He was wearing the distinctive white police undershirt and blue uniform pants. When the clerk requested for his ID, he flipped out. I was a few customers behind in line and witnessed the transaction. Having recognized the officer from one of my classes, I attempted to talk some sense into him. After identifying myself, and him recognizing me as well as realizing that I was close buddies with his Sergeant and Lieutenant, he quickly shaped up, returned to his personal vehicle and retrieved his ID. It looks like it could have gotten pretty ugly had I not been in the store that day. :eek:

Not sure what the deal is with these few "bad apple" cops. They need to keep in mind that like they're "just doing their job" in many cases, so are the good citizens in situations like this.

gf

I've read the comments from both the article and from this post.

Doesn't anyone find it extremely strange or against department policy for an officer in uniform to be buying achohol on duty??

My opinion is that since she was buying a bottle of wine in uniform, and got upset so quickly, tells me she's a drunk. She needs to be investigated.

Doesn't even matter that she was a cop...

except for the poor reflection on other LEOs when this one apparently couldn't control her needs/emotions under minor stress. This assumes you believe what's been reported as gospel, and don't allow that facts may surface that show the clerk isn't truthful. Remember the 2nd day facts that developed in the Oklahoma pharmacy. Not saying that will happen here, but i'll reserve judgment.

But anytime you buy alcohol, you need to be prepared to show ID. Doesn't matter who you are or how many times you've purchased from the same store or the same clerk. And if you wave your gun around or threaten to shoot someone (again, as alleged in the story), cop or not, you're guilty of menacing, brandishment, or several other related misdemeanors and/or felonies the LEOs may want to toss at you.

But most of all, you're guilty of stupidity. So much hoohaw over just being asked to flash a drivers license. If true, this is someone who probably shouldn't be a cop or even carry a weapon.

I call that the 'GOD' complex. I've seen it before. They think since they have a gun and a badge that they are above everyone. Luckily they get rid of them before they get too high in the department and luckily they are a very small minority in LE.

I started getting defensive about your post until I got to the end, "they are a very small minority in LE."

Thanks for that last part.

How hard is it to go home and change clothes before going to buy something like this? Public image???

I started getting defensive about your post until I got to the end, "they are a very small minority in LE."

Thanks for that last part.

How hard is it to go home and change clothes before going to buy something like this? Public image???

Apparently too difficult for the officer involved in the incident. I checked with 3 local LE agencies and department policy dictates that they refrain from purchasing or consuming alcohol while in uniform. This is why most officers will secure their uniform shirt and gun belt before purchasing or consuming alcohol. You can still tell that they're LEO by the trademark uniform pants and white v-neck undershirt (another reason why I cannot figure out what's so difficult about having a "civilian" polo or other shirt in their vehicles). They are complying with policy by not being in uniform.

I'm glad that on a national scale, the "bad cops" are a minority.

gf

This is about an hour west and south from me. What wasn't she thinking?!?!?! Makes me glad we are among the Yoder's. They are decent, level headed people.

A former fellow co-worker's daughter worked for a movie studio in the Los Angeles area. One day he brought to work some before and after pictures of a man that his daughter made up to look decades older than his natural, biological age. It was amazing that this 21 year old looked to be in his 80s. Maybe that's why the businesses card everyone! Who ever knows what one's real age is?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back