Contemplating a move to the Bellingham area....

Boomboy007

Hello, Washington Staters!

I currently live in Connecticut, and am contemplating a move to the north-west Washington state area (Bellingham/Ferndale/Blaine). My girlfriend lives in Vancouver, and I would really like to move closer to her.

I am wondering what I need to do before moving as related to firearms. I will be up for a visit after Christmas, and am considering applying for an out-of-state conceal carry license at that time. I would not be moving up until March or April, and I am hoping that would expedite my ability to carry upon arrival (my current licenses are CT and PA). I will also be looking to purchase a newly released (hopefully) firearm, and want to be able to expedite that.

I am probably going to be spending a lot of time north of the border (sad), and Canada insists that everyone remain defenseless in the face of assailants. That said, I am really looking for places to shoot/train, and maybe even work a bit, in the field of firearms and firearm sales. Any advice from anyone local to the Whatcom county area would be very much appreciated.

Also, I am looking into returning to school to finish my aborted degree. Any feedback on Western Washington State would likewise be appreciated.

Thanks for your time, both reading and, hopefully, responding to this post.

Bring $55.25 and your fingers with you. That's all you need to apply for a WA CPL. As a non-resident you can apply at any LEO agency in the state.

Without a CPL, you cannot have a loaded handgun anywhere in the vehicle. You can have an unloaded handgun and ammo anywhere in the vehicle except the unloaded handgun cannot be concealed on your person (magazine + ammo can be.)

The prohibited places are in RCW 9.41.300:
RCW 9.41.300: Weapons prohibited in certain places

Everywhere else is preempted by state law (RCW 9.41.290).

Without a CPL, open carry is allowed (loaded outside the vehicle, if you want).

When you get your driver's license, get an Enhanced Driver's License that will make travel between Canada much easier.

Can't help you with places to shoot in Whatcom County. I am next door in Island County.

I would recommend you read all of RCW 9.41 as all of the firearms statutes are there except for one hunting regulation that says you can't have a shotgun or rifle loaded in a vehicle at any time, CPL or not.

Whatcom County ranges

I am new to shooting, but I'm a sixth-generation Whatcom resident. Look into the Custer Gun Club (North Whatcom near Ferndale) and Plantation Rifle Range (a public range just south of Bellingham by Lake Samish). Also, you'll want to check out Yeager's, a long-time local sporting-goods store in Bellingham, for new and used firearms and long guns.

Thanks for the info!

I really appreciate the feedback. I will be looking into Custer's and Yeagers when I visit in late December. Any suggestions on the best place to apply for my CPL? I would assume that either Bellingham PD or Whatcom Sherrif's dept. would be the best choices.

If you have a concealed license from another state I'd suggest applying for your Washington CPL in Silverdale at the Sheriff's office. Some folks have been known to walk out the same day with theirs in hand.

Hello, Washington Staters!

I currently live in Connecticut, and am contemplating a move to the north-west Washington state area (Bellingham/Ferndale/Blaine). My girlfriend lives in Vancouver, and I would really like to move closer to her.

I am wondering what I need to do before moving as related to firearms. I will be up for a visit after Christmas, and am considering applying for an out-of-state conceal carry license at that time. I would not be moving up until March or April, and I am hoping that would expedite my ability to carry upon arrival (my current licenses are CT and PA). I will also be looking to purchase a newly released (hopefully) firearm, and want to be able to expedite that.

I am probably going to be spending a lot of time north of the border (sad), and Canada insists that everyone remain defenseless in the face of assailants. That said, I am really looking for places to shoot/train, and maybe even work a bit, in the field of firearms and firearm sales. Any advice from anyone local to the Whatcom county area would be very much appreciated.

Also, I am looking into returning to school to finish my aborted degree. Any feedback on Western Washington State would likewise be appreciated.

Thanks for your time, both reading and, hopefully, responding to this post.
You can try this place in Vancouver BC:
About DVC: Indoor Shooting Centre Vancouver, BC

i welcome you to washington state. i live on the east side near spokane. washington has a premption clause so a permit obtained anywhere in this state is good anywhere. apply in person at the sheriffs office and youll have the permit in about a month. very esy. the cost is about 60 dollars. good luck im sure you will like our state .

Thanks for all the info!

I applied at during my last visit (just after Christmas) and I received my LCP today. An extra thanks to LT for all of the extra info. Maybe I will be seeing you guys around!

I currently live in Vancouver. I'd recommend going to Port Coquitlam Hunting and Fishing Club if you wanted to shoot in Canada. It's $140 dollars for a 1 year membership or 20 dollars per drop in. After getting membership at this club and getting a "Possession Acquisition License"(PAL) in Canada you can apply for a Long Term Authorization to Transport (LTATT) which means you can bring your handgun unloaded with a trigger lock, locked in another case to the gun range and back home. Other than that, I've gone to Wade's in Bellevue Washington which is much farther south and it was a pretty good place to go for me. Sorry if I hijacked the thread with Vancouver info with him asking about Bellingham

Finally made it!

After a wait, and a few months spent up in Vancouver, I finally found a place in Bellingham. Thanks for all the advice!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back