Consignment in NOVA

jmf552

I'm new to the state and new as a member this site, although I have been "lurking" as a non-member for a while. After having a CCW permit in two previous states where I've lived, but not really carrying very much, I decided to really get serious about CC this time. I got my VA resident and UT non-resident and I've been taking several courses at the NRA range in Fairfax. Now I digress, but I don't see that range listed under ranges on this site and I don't see any of my instructors or their company listed under instructors. I guess there's a story there!

Anyhow, one thing that was clear taking all these classes is that I need new equipment! Technology has changed! I'm still deciding what to buy, but getting close to narrowing it down, but there is another side of the equation. I have some older technology, but still very desirable, guns to sell to finance my purchases. I'd like to sell on consignment because I don't want to have to deal with buyers directly and I don't want to take responsibility for possibly selling to someone who shouldn't be buying even if I meet the letter of the law. I'm willing to give a cut to a gun store to deal with those two issues and I am not in a hurry to sell and I while I want to get a reasonable amount of money for my guns, I don't have a "hurdle" to meet. I do want to be dealt with courteously and fairly.

So, my question is: What is the best gun store in Northern Virginia to consign guns with? I'm particularly concerned that they have a good reputation in the community as being good businesses to deal with. I have read online about people getting completely ripped off on gun consignments and at least one store I visited locally wasn't all that friendly.

I don't want to take responsibility for possibly selling to someone who shouldn't be buying even if I meet the letter of the law.

I'm sorry that I can't help you with a store to sell on consignment...but I do have a serious question... would you have the same concern selling a vehicle in a private sale? More people are killed by the criminal use of a vehicle every year than by the criminal use of a firearm.

Point taken, NavyLCDR. BTW, I was a NavyLT aviator back in the day. Yes, I would have the same concern with a vehicle for the very reasons you mention. So I would not do a private sale of a car to anyone I did not know well. With one exception, all the cars I have sold have either been to family members, or dealers. The one exception was that I sold an old Mercedes 190D to a fellow Navy officer I did not know well when I left Pensacola. I thought Nav-to-Nav was acceptable.

But even if I did do an open private sale, I see a difference. If I sell a car, it's pretty clear what I'm responsible to do by law. If the buyer misrepresents himself, the law will be after him for fraud. If he misuses the car, I would feel bad, but I would not be legally liable. With a gun, I think "the bar is raised." If someone buys a gun from me using a false ID and then goes and shoots up a mall, I would feel devastated and I would expect both the law and the media to be all over me.

Thank you for your honest answer. You might want to look at what the law says about what your responsibilities are for selling a gun (you are only responsible if you KNOWINGLY or have reason to believe the person buying the gun is a prohibited person or intends to use the gun for a crime - you are not responsible just because they do, IE "I'm glad I can buy this gun from you because I couldn't pass the background check, or they show up to buy the gun with out of state license plates and you don't check further into state of residency) - but, of course, that won't change your own personal moral feelings of responsibility. Good luck in your transactions!

Yeah, I figured that, but even if I'm in the letter of the law, if the person commits a big enough crime with my former gun, it may not be the law I'm dealing with as much as the court of public opinion. For all the reasons mentioned, I'll let the pros handle the transaction.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back