Connecticut Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to our Connecticut Concealed Carry page.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have something to add.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke. I have posted a few questions about CT gun laws below.

I'm wondering if there is any pamphlet or book which goes into all the intricacies of carrying, possessing and transferring a firearm here in CT? So far I have not found anything which brings all this information together into one place.

Thanks and God bless.

Thanks Luke. I have posted a few questions about CT gun laws below.

I'm wondering if there is any pamphlet or book which goes into all the intricacies of carrying, possessing and transferring a firearm here in CT? So far I have not found anything which brings all this information together into one place.

Thanks and God bless.

The state of CT used to publish a small booklet, but hasn't for some time. Your best bet is to use the law links, or check the online version of the ATF publication Link Removed. You can right click use "save as" to download the CT info.

You can order a free copy of the Federal Firearms laws, the State Laws on CD, etc. from the ATF by Link Removed

Try NRA-ILA for a good summary of CT laws

My first post as a new user. Here is a link for a reasonably detailed description of the CGS concerning firearms, including handguns. It is not a substitute for reading the actual statutes, i caution. And frankly, the laws are layered, conflicting and confusing. For eample, i can find you a statute declaring it illegal to carry any loaded firearm in your vehicle. However, every summary of CCW in CT declares vehicle carry to be legal. I plan to speak to my local Det. Sgt over the weekend, see his thoughts - i'll post the results. Anyway, here is a link that might be useful:

Link Removed

Also, your web summary says:
Automobile carry:
Individuals not licensed to carry handguns in Connecticut may not possess firearms in their vehicles

That is not strictly true, because it is perfectly legal to transport unloaded long guns, properly cased. Thought i'd mention that, even though this is a handgun forum.

Another good link , with hotlinks to the CGS

Here is another excellent summary of the laws. Unfortunately, there are many contradictions and grey areas within the laws themselves. Caveat emptor.

Link Removed

Best, Rick

Definitive Information (Be sure to have your lawyer translate them for you)

This is a link to the actual Connecticut General Statutes concerning primarily handguns. although, there are more than just Title 29. Some of the more general firearms laws contradict, refine or restrict sections of title 29. As someone said, that's par for the course in CT.

Link Removed

Any details emerging that are not covered, or worse yet totally misrepresented in the 'Always Reliable' Main Stream Media?
As with all gun related incidents, be ready for the Tidal Wave.

A few changes/additions to your page regarding CT carry laws:

Places off limits when carrying:

CGS §29-28. Permit for sale at retail of pistol or revolver. Permit to
carry pistol or revolver.

(e) The issuance of any permit to carry a pistol or revolver does not thereby
authorize the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver in any premises
where the possession or carrying of a pistol or revolver is otherwise
prohibited by law or is prohibited by the person who owns or exercises
control over such premises.

It is illegal to carry a firearm in a place where the owner of the property has prohibited it. Thereby, if there is a sign on the door saying no guns, it is not okay just to say "Well I can still carry here until they ask me to leave."

Alcohol and Dugs:
Sec. 53-206d. Carrying a firearm while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug prohibited. Hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or drug or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor prohibited. (a)(1) No person shall carry a pistol, revolver, machine gun, shotgun, rifle or other firearm, which is loaded and from which a shot may be discharged, upon his person (A) while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) while the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class B misdemeanor.

(b) (1) No person shall engage in hunting while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or while impaired by the consumption of intoxicating liquor. A person shall be deemed under the influence when at the time of the alleged offense the person (A) is under the influence of intoxicating liquor or any drug, or both, or (B) has an elevated blood alcohol content. For the purposes of this subdivision, "elevated blood alcohol content" means (i) a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is ten-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight, or (ii) if such person has been convicted of a violation of this subsection, a ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person that is seven-hundredths of one per cent or more of alcohol, by weight. A person shall be deemed impaired when at the time of the alleged offense the ratio of alcohol in the blood of such person was more than seven-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight, but less than ten-hundredths of one per cent of alcohol, by weight.

(2) Any person who violates any provision of this subsection shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

(3) Enforcement officers of the Department of Environmental Protection are empowered to arrest for a violation of the provisions of this subsection.

It is illegal to carry while intoxicated, however it IS legal to carry while inside a restaurant or other establishment that serves liquor.

Deadly force/Castle Doctrine
See this letter from a senior states attorney: Link Removed

Localities with varying laws
The cities of New Britain, CT and New London, CT have local statues banning the carrying of firearms, even to those holding a permit to do so in the rest of the state.

Misc
An excellent resource regarding CT firearms laws is the "Is it Legal?" brochure published by the Connecticut Citizens Defense League (CCDL), which can be obtained here: Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back