Confusing reciprocity with other states ( NEW MEXICO )

lessthan0

Bulldog Pride
Taken off NM.org

As we continue our audit and make changes accordingly, this page will be updated to reflect the most current information. This information is current as of May 1, 2012
New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. :unsure:

Link Removed

Texas is no longer on it. For future reference I will fuel in El Paso and drive straight to AZ no stopping. Even with open carry and carry in car they don't want us we don't need them. Sad.

NM.org lists alot more states they honor then what has been shown on

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newmexico.pdf or

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

This is NM>ORG list:

New Mexico currently recognizes concealed carry permits from or has reciprocal agreements with the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.

Who to belief? :confused:

A better solution would be for the citizens to try and rectify the problem be it with the guvna or attorney general or whomever is responsible.

3/23/12 – New Mexico no Longer Honors Virginia and Florida. VA Will still honor NM but FL Will no Longer Honor NM.
4/6/12 – New Mexico No Longer Honors Alaska, Kentucky, Montana, South Carolina and Wyoming.
4/27/12 – NM No Longer Honors Arizona.
4/30/12 – New Mexico has dropped Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas & West Virginia from the list of states they honor. Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Louisiana Ohio, Texas & West Virginia will drop New Mexico.

From Handgunlaw.us

Wonder wtf happened to cause this?

Texas is no longer on it. For future reference I will fuel in El Paso and drive straight to AZ no stopping. Even with open carry and carry in car they don't want us we don't need them. Sad.

As of today, May 1, Texas IS on it. (Link Removed) I spoke with the director of SID which is in charge of the concealed carry. New Mexico is coming into compliance with the law as written. The previous administration pretty much did a "I'll honor yours if you honor mine". That is not what the law says.
They are tearing it down and rebuilding it. Just bide your time and see what comes of it. I believe they are trying to salvage most of the reciprocities they already had. My 2 cents is be patient.

As of today, May 1, Texas IS on it. (Link Removed) I spoke with the director of SID which is in charge of the concealed carry. New Mexico is coming into compliance with the law as written. The previous administration pretty much did a "I'll honor yours if you honor mine". That is not what the law says.
They are tearing it down and rebuilding it. Just bide your time and see what comes of it. I believe they are trying to salvage most of the reciprocities they already had. My 2 cents is be patient.

Spoke with New Mexico Department of Public Safety (same date) and was told Texas was not on it, however same person stated they have been receiving a lot of calls that even with open carry and carry in cars folks were saying the same thing I said, hope it changes things will wait till I leave for vacation in AZ if Texas still not on list, will drive straight though NM and no longer spend my money in their state, I am however patient but if no go no money.

When you read the RICH history of the State of New Mexico, guns have been there from day one. I am sure they will continue to be a part of New Mexico's history in the future. There are many laws that are old, redundant, and plain out need changes. The current admin has been and is working on a lot of changes. In part, the law that is there now stating that reciprosity has to have some similar characteristics with our law, it seems to be the bigger problem that led to all this during an audit of comparisons of our law and that of other states. You could say that semantics played a great role in all the mess that began on Friday. While I am not a lawyer, I do see where this law has made much out of nothing, and I look for this law to get straightened out for the better by our legislators. I think that reciprosity agreements between states ARE contractual, or at least that is what was explained to me by a rep in the govs office, so contracts must have expired and due to the law complaince was looked at, the list was more or less a YOU FAIL list due to the law. I guess someone jumped the gun in assuming that reciprosities were cancelled, because the were not. Maybe old contracts did, but obviously new ones have come into play. Cart in front of the horse?? Maybe. They are on top of it now, getting it straightened out. A gun/loaded or with ammo IN a vehicle is ok for anyone who lives or travel through NM, open carry is good for anyone who lives or travels through NM, and I am sure as a few more days goes by most all those expired agreements will be brought back into contractual new agreements and all this wil just have been a passing bunch of technical and timing errors. I am also sure that whatever in the current law that required cleaning up will get done as well. That was what I also learned when speaking with the govs representative.

CD

Carrying in New Mexico was never a problem. It is Texas that is the problem.

Texas has no law allowing open carry or carry in you car unless you have a
permit/license. I was afraid Texas would retaliate by dropping New Mexico.
That would have put a world of hurt on me!

All is now OK, as NM has reinstated a bunch of States, including Texas.
All is OK at least until the next time!

This can get confusing. Even after I read the NM site I am not sure about my non-resident Florida carry permit being any good in NM. On the map here it does say they accept the Fl. non res permit but I saw nothing on the NM site. Help!

This can get confusing. Even after I read the NM site I am not sure about my non-resident Florida carry permit being any good in NM. On the map here it does say they accept the Fl. non res permit but I saw nothing on the NM site. Help!

NM 29-19-12E doesn't say "resident of the issuing state"...

E. provision of discretionary state authority for the transfer, recognition or
reciprocity of a concealed handgun license issued by another state if the issuing authority
for the other state:
(1) includes provisions at least as stringent as or substantially similar to
the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978];
(2) issues a license or permit with an expiration date printed on the license
or permit;
(3) is available to verify the license or permit status for law enforcement
purposes within three business days of a request for verification;
(4) has disqualification, suspension and revocation requirements for a
concealed handgun license or permit; and
(5) requires that an applicant for a concealed handgun license or permit:
(a) submit to a national criminal history record check;
(b) not be prohibited from possessing firearms pursuant to federal
or state law; and
(c) satisfactorily complete a firearms safety program that covers
deadly force issues, weapons care and maintenance, safe handling and
storage of firearms and marksmanship.

West Virginia, Ohio, Louisiana and Florida dropped NM when they removed them from their list in Late April and have not added them back. You can not legally carry in those states with a NM permit/License now. Wyoming will drop NM from their list as soon as they find out that NM no longer honors them. WY will only honor states that honor theirs.

WV, OH, LA and FL will most likely not add NM back without a new signed agreement. From what I have seen in the past from NM that will most likely not happen unless NM changes its criteria.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back