Concealing full sized pistols

RockinAJ

I just got my first pistol, an XDM 40.
I got the full sized with the full intention of concealing it.
I'm looking at Thunderwear or Crossbreed.
I have a Blackhawk Serpa shoulder rig, but its still way too hot to put a shirt over it.

Like to help, but we need to know height, weight, build.

I;m 5'11, 195, and I work out. So, carrying a G22 without printing isn't that hard with a summer shirt.

I also have a Kramer IWB and a Galco SSS. I'll be picking up a Crossbreed IWB this week. I have an Alessi shoulder rig for cold weather, etc.

im a big guy 6'2 260 and carry a springfield XD subcompact .40 in a crossbreed supertuck. even with the full mag i still dont print very much with the right shirt. i will always say go crossbreed. cant beat their cust service or lifetime warranty.

Clothes make the concealed carrier.

If your circumstances will allow you to wear a loose untucked shirt, I bet you can conceal it without any problems. In colder months, I can cover about anything with a loose sweatshirt or jacket. And that goes for IWB or OWB.

But I would advise against spending too much on multiple holsters. Before you know it, you've spent enough to buy a second (smaller) pistol. Please don't think I'm knocking your gun...it's a great one. But you'll probably run into situations when you want to carry, but don't want the weight and bulk. For example, when I go jogging tonight I'll still be armed, but it will be a S&W Airweight, as opposed to a 1911, or G32.

Congrats on the new purchase.

Last edited:
I'm short 5'7", medium built, and CC a full size pistol. I carry it in a khoster IWB, 3:00 canted forward. I wear jeans and a T-shirt with no printing. I never thought I could CC a full size pistol, and needed to try some positions and cant,now it's comfortable and as I said no ptinting

I carry a full-sized M&P .45 in an IWB without much issue. The easiest way for me is a casual attire with basically a tucked in t-shirt of some sort, colored, printed, etc., doesn't matter, then an unbuttoned 'camp' shirt is worn over that. This works even in the Texas summer heat. Or one could just where the camp shirt alone, buttoned and un-tucked. The most important thing that I find is that the cover shirt hides best if it has a pattern printed or woven into the shirt. It helps break up the straight lines of the gun butt and magazines.

I agree with the CrossBreed SuperTuck as a best option... I carry a full size M&P45 in mine and no one notices it... Of course most people in my area are like sheep and have their heads in the grass...

There is another option for IWB holsters that are built like the CrossBreed, but have some more "refinements".

Link Removed

The guy is a legitimate maker... I have one of his custom creations and the fit and finish are top notch. Customer service is fantastic... Look for his stuff on Facebook...

I'm 5'9", 190 lbs, and I'm carrying a Glock 36, the "compact" 45 auto, the same gun I used for CCW class. I'm right-handed, wear a vertical shoulder holster on the left with strap...and I STRONGLY recommend a retainer strap for any shoulder holster. Here's why: A few months ago, we had a lot of tornado action in the area, and I was out helping clear roads and property of fallen trees. At one point, I got my foot entangled and took a sudden fall backwards (yeah, I was wearing my old shoulder holster without a strap). Fortunately, I didn't break a leg; but, after a couple of minutes, I realized my damned Glock was missing! It slipped right out when I fell; in the excitement of the moment, I wasn't aware it was gone. I scrambled back to the scene, got on my hands and knees searching under the debris, and FOUND the damned gun. Soon as I got home, I threw my shoulder holster in the trash, went online and ordered a tactical-style with retainer strap. Don't leave home without it.

5'11" 225 - Full size 1911 in a Crossbreed ST. The key is proper clothing and a GOOD Belt.
I have never tried a shoulder holster. Thought about though.

If I have my full-size gun on me, I wear a fisherman's vest. It covers it very well. I am a photographer (as opposed to a snapshooter) so if someone will notice, they usually comment and/or look at my camera gear than my gun which is concealed but ready to use in a heartbeat should the situation calls for it.

I carried full size (Glock 17) for many years because that is all I had. (licensed as a young lad at 21). I am 6'4" and thin so concealing it wasn't too much of a problem, but after getting a sub compact Glock 26, it is so much more comfortable now. I can't believe I carried so often with a full size.

Im skinny and still conceal my full size G22 when I want to carry it. Not too hard to do. IWB or shoulder holster. Wear clothing that helps conceal too.

I'm 6'4" and 225 lbs and the only comfortable way I've found to carry a full sized firearm in hot weather is the Cell Pal Holster. Since it'll work with multiple guns in shorts or anything you wear, I love to be able to change guns in the "recession-proof holster." Be sure to check out the videos on their site before using it - great ideas on draw techniques! This is a great addition to your winter wear shoulder, IWB, OWB, SOB holsters.

I carry a full sized 1911 in .45 ACP in a cross breed holster.I've never dealt with a more comfortable holster in my life.doesn't matter what I wear it concealed and I can work, bend over squat doesn't matter, very comfortable.

I've found that the best way to conceal one of my full-size pistols is to hide it behind one of my assault rifles. That way nobody notices.

I mean, I've tried the Fobus snap-lock holsters, but they're kind of a hassle in just everyday activities, and too noisy. And they get hung-up on things unexpectedly.

What, exactly, is the benefit of the Fobus concealed holsters, I wonder?

I'm 5'8 and weigh 190-200.
Seems like the Crossbreeds are the winner. They are the only ones who make an Xdm holster.

I too carry the xdm 40 full size, in all honesty I use an uncle mikes holster which is easy to find and was one of my only choices as I am left handed. I'm the best representing person for this I'm 6'3 at a staggering 135 lbs, and yes that's why I carry, I'm a twig but I never print and its comfortable with a semi loose t shirt and can even carry with shorts... No need to dress gangster with clothes 4 sizes to big, that'll raise more suspicion than a little bit if printing, besides the only way people would know is if they were staring at your belt level or following way too close. I hope this helps you..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back