Concealing a larger frame gun

rrc1962

Hi all. Short introduction here. I've been a gun owner/user for many years but just acquired a carry permit. I currently own a Taurus PT92 which is a bit on the large side for everyday carry. If you wanted to conceal carry a gun like this, how would you do it? All I can come up with for a comfortable method is a vertical shoulder rig or possibly a belt holster. The only problem with either of those is that they are concealed by my coat, which means I can't take my coat off without drawing a bunch of attention.

I generally dress in jeans a T-shirts/polos so no suits, dress shirts, etc. I've just about convinced myself that an OWB holster for the PT92 backed up with a smaller .380 or something similar would be the best way to go. I can carry the .380 in a pocket holster even wearing shorts and when conditions. In conditions that permit concealment of a belt worn larger gun or situations that don't require deep concealment, the PT92 is an option.

Am I fooling myself trying to find a way to conceal carry a larger frame auto? Any holster suggestions and web links would be greatly appreciated.

I should also add that the PT92 has a trigger guard mounted laser. The best fitting holsters I've seen are the plastic ones molded to fit the gun. These won't work with the laser. The only thing I can find to accommodate the laser is universal oversized nylon holster which is not nearly as stealthy under a coat as the molded plastic one. If it comes down to it, the laser can come off if it means I can carry it more efficiently.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

well an open button down shirt works nicely over your current clothing I find. If i'm in a restaurant, I sit down, THEN take off my jacket and kind of wrap the shoulder part around my sides to "keep myself warm". If I get up, I just put the jacket back on. So what if someone makes a comment? I'm the one with the gun :)

This is what I wear when I go out Link Removed I have concealed a Glock 22 with no problems, and plan on using it when I get my Glock 20.

I just don't have to worry about IWB or OWB thing any longer.

POST EDIT:

Now if I decide to get amn IWB holster for my full size Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45 ACP I will be ordering from our sponsor CrossBreed Holsters linked above.

Last edited:
I usually carry a full size baby eagle or full size .45 EAA Witness in my smart carry holster. it's pretty comfortable and don't really have to worry about how clothes can cover it up.

I use a Galco Underwrap which is a Belly band. Running shorts and a one size too large T-shirt do just fine with this rig. It will carry my Sig 220 EZ.:cool:

Thanks for that link. I'm going to order one of those under shirts and a couple of the dress shirts!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tennessee an Open Carry state? I carry a Taurus PT92 also, and usually it's in a Galco pancake style holster. In the Fall/Winter/early Spring it may be covered by a coat or light jacket, depending on weather. In warm weather, it's completely visible, about 98% of the time. However, this may soon be trading off with a Steyr GB, after I put a few hundred rounds through it.

TN is an open carry state, so absolute concealment is not a big deal...but sometimes not a good idea. I've settled on a Fobus for both the PT92 and the Glock 30. An untucked shirt conceals them well enough in most cases. I'm looking for a small 380 for those times when I must conceal in light clothing.

I OWB carry my '92 and CC vs. OC is determined by the weather. Them's the breaks for me because I wanted a larger frame for more accuracy. I placed Access and Comfort above concealability.

Your '92 has no accessory rail then since you are going with Fobus?
I tried to use a fobus roto-paddle and mine has an accesory rail. Fobus doesn't sell a holster for a 92 w/ rail. (or didn't at christmas time.)

I also carry a PT 92 and have tried many different types of holsters. I am also a bit larger than some, I have had the best results using a simple IWB holster and wear my shirt over it. I hope this helps.

This is what I wear when I go out Link Removed I have concealed a Glock 22 with no problems, and plan on using it when I get my Glock 20.

I just don't have to worry about IWB or OWB thing any longer.

POST EDIT:

Now if I decide to get amn IWB holster for my full size Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .45 ACP I will be ordering from our sponsor CrossBreed Holsters linked above.

I carry a 4" 1911 in a Crossbreed IWB holster everyday, although I am thinking about trying one of those Undercovercomforts soon in preparation for the summer time. With the IWB holster I wear shirts that look good untucked and have done so for a year now without anyone being the wiser.

I carry a full sized Glock 21 and use a Galco Summer Comfort IWB most of the time. i cover it with a loose fitting button down shirt or fleece vest in the cooler weather. Keep looking. There is always something out there that will work for oyu.

Just an observation. IF you're carrying concealed, Fobus works fine. But I do not recommend it for open carry. It is not secure enough, in my opinion, at least, not the basic model. I believe Fobus makes some more secure retention type holsters that would be better for OC.

Large gun concealment

I carry a Sig 226 .40 cal. I wear 5.11 covert shirts with a side holster and it works excellent. Hope this helps.

I wear an iwb holster when i carry my taurus 809.... the holster is made for 1911's and fits with a little wiggle room thats not extreme i can run and jump and the holster and weapon are secured by my belt pretty well.... I also placed my friends 92 in my holster and it fit just fine....the only thing i would say is that summer is coming up and i sweat alot.... after a few hours the holster feels alot more heavy than when i put it on at the beginning of the day.... i couldnt stand the way this felt so i purchased a smaller weapon and its working out just fine even when i sweat i barely notice its there....

Hello. I carry a S&W 681PC .357 mag ( K frame ) 7-shot revolver ( 3" barrel ). I have a shoulder rig made by Galco, as well as a speed paddle, also a Galco. I also have and wear 2 different vests with nice pockets inside for a holster and weapon. You absolutely cannot tell I am carrying with my vests. I like the "western" look, ie... jeans and and any kind of shirt, along with the vest. Hope this helps. Also, try Crimson Trace Laser grips to replace the current model on Your gun. I have had mine since 2001, and it would ruin any bad guy's day real quick. It allows me to regularly shoot -2.0" groups at 25 ft. mith .357mag ammo. I actually shoot 1.5" groups with the new Hornady Critical Defense rounds. These are top-notch loads. They aren't intended for everyday "tune-up", or practice sessions. They are what I carry for personal defense.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back