Concealed Carrying on school property

ParrotHead

Placed prohibited to carry:

"Elementary or secondary school facilities (without the consent of school authorities)."

Does this mean inside the school facility, or ANYWHERE on school property (i.e., even in a vehicle during student drop off/pick up?

Might help if you told what state you were talking about. I presume it isn't Ohio. You can't concealed carry anywhere on school property in Ohio except in your car when dropping off or picking up your kids.

Most states it is either anywhere on school property, or in some states it is within XX feet of school property. I am certain that if you carried anyway, and happened to use that weapon to defend a group of schoolchildren from some maniac, you would be punished severely.

Might help if you told what state you were talking about. I presume it isn't Ohio. You can't concealed carry anywhere on school property in Ohio except in your car when dropping off or picking up your kids.

Well..Kentucky, which is why I posted in the Kentucky forum.

Well to be honest I don't let any law tell me when or where I can peotect myself I just won't go to those places that check if all possible

If you ask directly, you have brought unwanted attention (and most likely, endless suspicion if the administration is the usual anti-rights type) upon yourself. I'd suggest having someone else ask. Once you draw attention, there's no taking it back.

If you ask directly, you have brought unwanted attention (and most likely, endless suspicion if the administration is the usual anti-rights type) upon yourself. I'd suggest having someone else ask. Once you draw attention, there's no taking it back.

Have your attorney ask. He has all the information at hand to ask PROPERLY and if the school has any predisposition to allow a CCW holder to carry on the property, they will respond better to a properly worded request from an attorney. This will also provide you the WRITTEN permission you need from the school all in one shot. If they deny, your attorney can either fight it or give up, but either way, the school has no idea it was you. No harm, no foul.

The Federal GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE ACT or something like that comes into play on this. It is against the law to come anywhere within 1,000 feet of a school in any state of the country, unless you have a CCW permit from the state the school is in.

I wish they just amend this 1995 bill, not get rid of it entirely. Just add for ex, "does not apply to Leo, military, and legal carry permit holders." At the very least, let them keep it locked in their car. How many more VA Techs and Fort Hoods must there be for these apathetic robots in DC to understand that Its Not Working.

I think most states have the same no Concealed Carry policy. Here in New York State, it's clearly posted everywhere, No weapons on school on School Property. When dropping, or picking up my kids, I make sure, I never exit my Vehicle.

Unlike super markets, or any other stores that restrict concealed carry, I honor School policy.I know NYS will prosecute to the fullest letter of the law. But most importantly, I want to set an good example in front on my Children, Showing them that I, follow the rules, as I expect them to do.

Leading by example.

See Link Removed.

OK, so from what I see, it's OK as long as it stays in the vehicle.

(3) The provisions of this section prohibiting the unlawful possession of a weapon on school property shall not apply to:

(a) An adult who possesses a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a vehicle operated by the adult and is not removed from the vehicle, except for a purpose permitted herein, or brandished by the adult, or by any other person acting with expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property;

thumbs_up_md_wht.gif

Please do keep in mind that Federal law trumps State law, so even if your State laws might be lenient the Federal law is certainly not.

Actually the federal law stipulates that if the state law on concealed carry allows it, then it's okay.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back