Concealed Carry While Walking Dogs

The thing with dogs is that if you have a dog with you, your chances of being attacked are SIGNIFICANTLY less, no matter the dog. BGs don't want a challenge, they want prey. The cat doesn't run up to the dog so to speak. Alot of people are afraid of little dogs too because they're loud and nippy.

If I were in that kind of a situation, i'd probably drop the leash. Knowing my dog, she'd probably sit there, run behind me, or run a little bit away. Most likely after having drawn and/or fired, i'd have a second's worth of shock time to look down and maybe get a foot on the leash. You gotta remember that now the BG has TWO big things to worry about: the dog AND the gun! If I was the bad guy, i'd be out!

Interesting situation. Not sure the proper resolution, but my $0.02:

I have great danes, total mass ~ 300#. (They are still puppies, under 18 months each). When walking them I usually only manage one, my wife the other. On occasion I will manage both (at the vet or while the missus is otherwise occupied). Though I do carry, I am not terribly worried that someone will try something with 300# of dog in front of me.

Should I need to draw, I would hesitate to drop the leash for fear of the pups crossing my line of fire. In general I shorten the lead when strangers approach, keeping the dog close to my side (pretty well trained but still). If someone were to threaten, it is clear this is a crazy SOB. I would have no issue with engaging, and am comfortable one handed. Hopefully, even with the dog pulling, I can land a couple rounds of .40 JHP out of 14.

Well out here on the ranch I don't so much walk the dogs as follow them around. If you want to attack me you better hope I shoot you or get the situation in hand BEFORE my 3 Draathars get a hold of you. I always sort of thought of them of big ole dopey bird dogs that were more likely to lick an assailant to death than bite.

Then one of my buckaroos snuck up behind me in the barn. Just playing around when he jumped out bfrom behind a stall. Abigail, my 10 year old bitch took him in a heart beat. This is a 70 pound dog that can and has killed badgers. I literally had to kick her to get her off him. The down side was as I was getting control of her, Zelda and Pheona the 4 year olds becided they needed to get a few bites in too.

I leave the pickup unlocked. If you want to open the door, feal free!!!

Ross W Thomas
Great Basin Ranch
Owyhee County, ID

Yea, after reading more and thinking about it I'd probably just drop the leash. I'd still have for something to happen to my pups.

I took all 4 out for a walk at the same time yesterday. It was during the day and I thought it would be amusing which it was. The two I'm watching are going home later today. It has been fun for 4 dogs are too way to much imo.

If you have to draw, that's a good indication it's time to drop the leash. Not having good aim may well mean that you or someone else could die. On the other hand, dropping the leash will probably have one of four possible outcomes, in order of probability:

1. The dog will split and you can catch it later. You have a good reason, if you were about to get robbed. The owner can be comforted by the fact that their canine is intelligent, if not particularly loyal.

If the dog hasn't been trained to ignore the sound of gunfire it would most assuredly flee. Horses and dogs can be trained to withstand the loud noises of traffic, gun fire, screaming, things being thrown, etc., when trained for police or assisted-living work. So, if you train your canine likewise and then if you ever have to drop the leash you might have a better chance of the dog "sticking around." Take the fur-kids to the range w/ you, honk the car horn often when you are driving in the country with little traffic, set off firecrackers if they are legal in your area, throw paper bags in their direction, blow up like balloons and then pop the paper and plastic bags when they aren't ready for it, in general do the conditioning prior to any event and the outcome might be a whole lot better than the dog fleeing into traffic or being shot themselves.

Walkin the dog and totin a gun

Always carry when I walk the dog. Only one dog now, black lab named Zevon. When we had the golden, Bing, I'd walk them both on one leash with a coupler. Leash in left hand, because I keep the dog on my left and my right hand free.

I pocket carry while Shiner and I are out walking; leash in weak hand, strong hand in pocket on my gun. Shiner's a pretty noisy beagle and has scared off a few nosy white tail and the occasional passerby ...:no:

My aged Malamute/German Shepherd would run for the hills as he hates guns and fire crackers. My female Siberian Husky may or may not stay, she is pretty laid back and easy going but they both have been mistaken for wolf hybrids.

The horses, were still getting them use to the sound of our side arms. We do have a lot of hunters around us and those shooting target year round and that doesn't bother then at all. I have been followed out of the woods by unknown men and on a horse I could get out a bit quicker.

Since were showing our beasties...

My "Malamutt" Rocky:
Link Removed

My Quarter Horse Terry:
Link Removed

And the Siberian Husky Dakota w/my grand daughter Lily:
Link Removed

Last edited:
I use a clip on product similar to this Double Leash that you can buy in any pet supply store. It's the greatest thing since canned beer, because the dogs pull against each other instead of you.

Last edited:
While I dont ive on a ranch, I live in a fairly rural area, so I have the liberty to follow them on walks. Thus, both hands are fre, and if anything were to happen, they'd probably be there b4 I knew what was up. My wife walks w/ them also when taking walks w/ our toddler. To me, it's safer that way. They do their jobs well, and listen when I call them.... for the most unless they get scent of a critter. Then, they do come, but w/ reluctance. Like others said, dogs usually know what's up, and they act accordingly.

My grampa had advice when we were younger that I have found to be so true: "Watch how people act around your dogs, and watch how your dogs act around people. It will tell you all you need to know." The few times that my dogs have acted funny around people, I trusted their judgement, and it panned out.

Yea, I normally fire one handed and weak handed when I go to the range. We also had some training exercises at Front Sight in the classes I've taken.
This is the solution I’m coming up with - what I am trying to figure out is a holster from my Sig 365XL - no open carry in DC - should I just get one of those to clip to the inside of a pants pocket?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back