Concealed carry vest

I decided to search for a thread on concealment vests before just starting another.
I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this vest:
Link Removed
But it looks like Sportsman's Guide is selling the same vest that started this discussion thread.
If not, it's a very close copy.

My interest was partly in length, to conceal a gun underneath, with only occasional use of the vest's holster pocket (public restrooms while pants are down, for one). Putting unbalanced weight in a vest often results in discomfort on one's neck and/or an uneven "hang" to the vest.

I often wear a brown cotton duck work vest that has a small amount of Thinsulate insulation. It looks like it could be Carhartt, but it's "Guide Gear" from Sportsman's Guide. It serves well for work, but is a bit short. When one considers bending, turning, stretching, reaching, etc. it's not long enough, particularly when carrying my 4" 1911 in my "Beltster" instead of IWB.

I like pockets. I normally carry so much junk that one friend at work calls me Inspector Gadget. But I'm not sure what SG means by 20/80 cotton/polyester -- well, I know what that means, but the photo looks like heavy cotton cloth, and I want durability.

In the same SG catalog, I also noticed this "Tactical" vest:
Link Removed

"Tactical" has my vote as most overused and most hated buzzword of our times.
And anything with a badge tab seems to fit the "shoot me first" category.

Guide Gear also has an affordable leather vest:
Link Removed

And a leather "Concealment Blazer" here:
Link Removed

But I'm not as likely to wear leather at work or on a daily basis.

I ride, but wear a First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and First Gear pants. I have been wondering what I can do for ACCESSIBLE carry while in cold weather riding gear. I've just about decided to get a black Wilderness Safepacker and hang it on the right side belt of my black & gray jacket.

But for general use, a slightly longer work vest interests me. I shouldn't admit it here, but I carry a LOT in deep concealment, with a 1911 inside my fully buttoned and tucked shirt and waistband, butt forward, just behind my left hipbone, and with NO holster. Works for me, but I will NOT recommend this to anyone. Personal anatomy varies greatly. These days, I'm still wanting really good concealment, but faster access. I feel times may soon become "interesting."

I'm interested in any feedback on the Blue Stone or Sportsman's Guide vest -- durability, functionality, etc. Does it "print" after being used for some time? Will it fit the average rural work and casual environment?

I'm coming off of a very expensive two year divorce; I can no longer afford to buy something just to try it out. I have to consider every penny very carefully and do thorough research. This makes everything from choosing clothing to farkling my bike, much more of a challenge.

Thanks.

It would be nice if it came in a nice denim though... I'd think more seriously about it.. I ride motorcycles and it would "blend in" much better in denim.
Also the Magazine area needs a flap over it, or be made into another "pocket" in the same location with a short flap, otherwise, if it's hot and you have it open, they will be out in the open and scream "gun"

HootmonSccy;99094, I was thinking the same thing. I would also like to see a bottom snap. If that thing was open with a few mags in those inside pockets, it would beat you senseless!

I won't use a vest for concealed carry- especially the multi-pocketed ones like the one shown in the first post. The 'photographer's vest' and those that look similar are a BIG red flag, just like a middle aged man wearing a fanny pack anywhere but a tourist trap does. Criminals know about them and, unless you have a Nikon or Canon around your neck, it just screams, "I HAVE A GUN!!". You might as well carry a sign around your neck. Sorry, I don't want to be #1 target in some strung out 'banger's shooting gallery.

I do have a buddy who wears a khaki photographer's vest a lot. But then most of us already know there's a SIG P220 under it. And the tourists just see another slightly irrascible and eccentric old redneck anyway...

I've worn a work vest so long that it hardly attracts attention -- especially not in these parts. Something that looks like it came from the Carhartt display at a workwear store doesn't exactly say "shoot me first." I still see the vest as a few extra pockets and a bit of concealment. I just wish my work vest was a hair longer. I've carried enough crap in vest pockets to have serious doubts about the weight of even an alloy framed 1911 and a couple of magazines.

Maybe the answer for me is to just look for a work vest that suits me, then crank up the sewing machine at home and add that "occasional use" holster to the inside. Most of the time the vest will just be covering the gun on my waist.

I like the vest and yes I think it is the same one. Price is the same so I guess it is a toss up as to where to get it unless there is a lot of difference in shipping. I think I will order one. I too like a lot of pockets to carry all my "needful things."

I have the vest that HK is talking about, been using it for approx 2 months now. I ordered it through Sportsman's. The only problem I have with this vest is....... it is too much of a good thing, lol....... WAY TOO MANY POCKETS, It is just too easy to utilize them all, my vest now weighs close to 12 lbs.
Some observations after 2 months use.....

The "holster" pockets are not wide enough for a Browning HP 9mm or a full-size 1911, the barrel is too long and makes the front of the vest too straight/stiff across the chest and it pushes the underarm part of the vest out in front of your arm. (I have the xxl size) A snub nose revolver disappears though.

Someone mentioned the magazine holder area, if you aren't careful/constantly watching them, they (magazines) can be pushed up and out as you sit down, (this may be because I have so much other stuff in the vest, which makes it hang down "strongly" for lack of a better word...) the magazine pouch/holder would be much better if attached maybe 3 inches higher.

The length of the vest could be an inch or two longer, it barely covers the bottom of my 1911 when worn OWB, but this may be different on you, depends on where your waistline is, I tend to wear my belt quite low on my waist. The vest is very well made of high-quality materials, it does not scream out "gun" like some have said. The color and design is neutral enough to go with most any casual setting.

I would buy another without hesitation, but I dont think this one will be wearing out any time soon, I have worn it every day since receiving it and it still looks the same as on day one.

I won't use a vest for concealed carry- especially the multi-pocketed ones like the one shown in the first post. The 'photographer's vest' and those that look similar are a BIG red flag, just like a middle aged man wearing a fanny pack anywhere but a tourist trap does. Criminals know about them and, unless you have a Nikon or Canon around your neck, it just screams, "I HAVE A GUN!!". You might as well carry a sign around your neck. Sorry, I don't want to be #1 target in some strung out 'banger's shooting gallery.

You could wear it with your jack boots, and scull cap. It goes well with an orange AK.
I won't order anything from sportsman's warehouse. Most of their inventory i consider imported garbage. IMO.

I have the vest that HK is talking about, been using it for approx 2 months now. I ordered it through Sportsman's. The only problem I have with this vest is....... it is too much of a good thing, lol....... WAY TOO MANY POCKETS, It is just too easy to utilize them all, my vest now weighs close to 12 lbs.
Some observations after 2 months use.....

The "holster" pockets are not wide enough for a Browning HP 9mm or a full-size 1911, the barrel is too long and makes the front of the vest too straight/stiff across the chest and it pushes the underarm part of the vest out in front of your arm. (I have the xxl size) A snub nose revolver disappears though.

Someone mentioned the magazine holder area, if you aren't careful/constantly watching them, they (magazines) can be pushed up and out as you sit down, (this may be because I have so much other stuff in the vest, which makes it hang down "strongly" for lack of a better word...) the magazine pouch/holder would be much better if attached maybe 3 inches higher.

The length of the vest could be an inch or two longer, it barely covers the bottom of my 1911 when worn OWB, but this may be different on you, depends on where your waistline is, I tend to wear my belt quite low on my waist. The vest is very well made of high-quality materials, it does not scream out "gun" like some have said. The color and design is neutral enough to go with most any casual setting.

I would buy another without hesitation, but I dont think this one will be wearing out any time soon, I have worn it every day since receiving it and it still looks the same as on day one.

From you description with all the pockets it might make a good bug out vest. A place to store a lot of different things.

Very informative post, Axeanda45. Thanks. I've been thinking about that vest, since I saw the ad in Sportsman's Guide.

Sounds like even occasional use of the vest's "holster" with a 4" Kimber Pro Carry might be out. Is that right?

You said you have XXL. Last time I checked, I lack 1/4" of being 5'10" and I'm closer to 230 than 220 (really trying to get back down to 200). My shirts and jackets are usually XL, but my Kilimanjaro riding jacket is XXL to fit comfortably over my usual work clothes. And we are talking "concealment" here. Would you say I should go with XL or XXL?

You said it "barely" covered a 1911 but you wear your belt fairly low. I usually carry a 4" Kimber, though I do have a 5" 1911. And other than IWB, I'd be carrying it in my Beltster (Bandera Gunleather) so it would be visble below my belt. From your description, it sounds as if this vest should work OK. Is that right?

The point about the magazine pockets is well taken. I know what you mean. Hard items in pocket get pushed up and sometimes out, if the garment comes down on a bench or chair. Given that the emphasis is on conceament over speed, a flap over the magazine pockets with Velcro or snaps would be a good idea.

Again, thanks for the review. This vest sounds like a piece of "work clothing" that would fit into most casual rural environments just fine.

Anyone Have one of the Black Leather Motorcycle Vests with the "Holster" Pocket Built in? Is it Large enough to carry a GlOCK 19 and Not Imprint on the outside of the vest? Is the Access like a Vertical Shoulder Holster? The Websites that sell the vests do not show the Holster Location..Just says "Holster Sewn in"... What does that Mean?
I don't want to invest $150.00 and have it shipped to Philippines if it's NOT Going to work... I'm Willing to take a chance if I get some outside information from some of you gentlemen that might have one, wear one or have seen one and get some first hand accounts. Thank You. Best, God Bless and Stay Safe.

Captain

Anyone Have one of the Black Leather Motorcycle Vests with the "Holster" Pocket Built in? Is it Large enough to carry a GlOCK 19 and Not Imprint on the outside of the vest? Is the Access like a Vertical Shoulder Holster? The Websites that sell the vests do not show the Holster Location..Just says "Holster Sewn in"... What does that Mean?
I don't want to invest $150.00 and have it shipped to Philippines if it's NOT Going to work... I'm Willing to take a chance if I get some outside information from some of you gentlemen that might have one, wear one or have seen one and get some first hand accounts. Thank You. Best, God Bless and Stay Safe.

Captain
Can you please give the link to the website...??? Salamat.

Very informative post, Axeanda45. Thanks. I've been thinking about that vest, since I saw the ad in Sportsman's Guide.

Sounds like even occasional use of the vest's "holster" with a 4" Kimber Pro Carry might be out. Is that right? Yes, I believe that would still be just a bit too long for good concealment in the holster pocket.

You said you have XXL. Last time I checked, I lack 1/4" of being 5'10" and I'm closer to 230 than 220 (really trying to get back down to 200). My shirts and jackets are usually XL, but my Kilimanjaro riding jacket is XXL to fit comfortably over my usual work clothes. And we are talking "concealment" here. Would you say I should go with XL or XXL? Order 1 size larger than you would wear in a shirt or jacket, that is what they recommended, and it was correct for me. From your description of yourself... I think an XXL would work though.

You said it "barely" covered a 1911 but you wear your belt fairly low. I usually carry a 4" Kimber, though I do have a 5" 1911. And other than IWB, I'd be carrying it in my Beltster (Bandera Gunleather) so it would be visble below my belt. From your description, it sounds as if this vest should work OK. Is that right? Mine covers the end of my 1911 by about 1/2 inch when my arms are at my side, and my belt/waist is a little lower than most people wear theirs. My holster is not a high-riding one, the lowest part of thumb safety is about at the top of my belt.

The point about the magazine pockets is well taken. I know what you mean. Hard items in pocket get pushed up and sometimes out, if the garment comes down on a bench or chair. Given that the emphasis is on conceament over speed, a flap over the magazine pockets with Velcro or snaps would be a good idea.

Again, thanks for the review. This vest sounds like a piece of "work clothing" that would fit into most casual rural environments just fine.
Your Welcome.

I wear a Roma Leather motorcycle vest with built in holster pockets. I really like it. Here's the link:

Link Removed

As for people trying to avoid the "shoot me first" look with the other vests, a couple of Nikon patches sewn on the front and back will fix that quick.

Tucker's Mom...
Link Removed

Those are the Vests I was Looking at...

DarrelM5... Thank you for the Link... Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?
Thank You.

Best and Stay Safe. "Captain"

A couple of us mentioned denim. The same Sportsman's Guide 2010 spring shooting supplies catalog that has the Blue Stone vest, has a handful of concealment vests and coats, including a denim vest and jacket by "Classic Old West Styles," whatever that means.

Link Removed

They've also got a cotton duck chore coat

Link Removed

and a quilted vest, again by Classic Old West Styles:

Link Removed

The above are made in the USA. The denim vest looks a bit plain for a "pocket enthusiast" like me, but not bad.

I like to find someone with experience, find the item offered elsewhere with maker's name, or get lucky and fint it in a retail store. Some of Sportsman's Guide stuff is great, and some is cheesy import. You have to do your research. But he (Gary Olen) does mark the USA made stuff, and he uses a rating system on some items like knives.

I don't suppose anyone has experience with these...??? :confused:

Hmmmm...

Classic Old West Styles (C.O.W.S.) is a division of Sebastian of El Paso Mfg.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Interesting product line.

Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?

It doesn't sag at all, and I usually carry a Sig P229R .40 S&W in it. The holster pockets on each side are identical and are held closed by a heavy duty, easy to open, snap. The pockets are fairly deep but I can draw really quickly, which I practice with a red training gun. There is an elastic loop in each pocket to help secure the pistol or a couple of magazines. I use the loop for mags, but the pistol stays put without it. The great thing is that these vests are under $100. They aren't quite as nice as the $200 Coronado vests but they look nice, aren't as hot, and hold up well.

It's been my experience with vests in general, and shirts (5.11 shirts have those hidden "document" pockets) that much weight will make 'em sag. Even if it's balanced, many vests and jackets will put pressure on the back of your neck, much the way the old X style shoulder holsters put pressure on your C-spine.

Stiff material helps, but internal suspension and balanced load would probably be best.

I don't expect miracles from the vest, just occasional carry use and good concealment.

BTW, Gary Olen at Sportsman's Guide missed a bet: He forgot to put his "USA MADE" banner on that Blue Stone vest, but Blue Stone says their products ARE made in the USA.

Tucker's Mom...
Link Removed

Those are the Vests I was Looking at...

DarrelM5... Thank you for the Link... Does the vest Sag on one side with a heavy or Large pistol? So Its Just a Pocket... Closed with Velcro?
Thank You.

Best and Stay Safe. "Captain"

I have one o those FMC vests. It's a lot better than the $70 price would indicate. The concealment "holsters" inside are deep pockets with leather cuffs and snaps inside the pockets to keep them secured. Each pocket as a magazine holder also. The two side pockets outside are roomy and capable of carrying phones, etc. All in all, this is a very good vest, and if you dress like a biker most of the time, nobody would suspect you are using it as a concealment vest. It 's not unusual at all to see bikers wearing vests.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back