Concealed Carry Self Defense Knife

NMGunIt

I realize this may be out of bounds for this forum, but I don't know where else to ask. I was just wondering about the New Mexico laws regarding concealed/open carry of knives, particularly for self defense. The information I've been able to find on the web is very minimal and very, very vague. Does anyone know where to find information or know the rules. I've applied and am waiting for my CHL and don't want to jeopardize that at this time. If and when I get my CHL (and I fully expect to get it), I don't want a stupid mistake regarding a self defense knife to mess things up!

I even contacted the State Police and they couldn't/wouldn't tell me anything either. They just pointed me to the state statutes.

Max

I realize this may be out of bounds for this forum, but I don't know where else to ask. I was just wondering about the New Mexico laws regarding concealed/open carry of knives, particularly for self defense. The information I've been able to find on the web is very minimal and very, very vague. Does anyone know where to find information or know the rules. I've applied and am waiting for my CHL and don't want to jeopardize that at this time. If and when I get my CHL (and I fully expect to get it), I don't want a stupid mistake regarding a self defense knife to mess things up!

Thanks for the heads up

I guess then the carrying of a backup fixed blade knife concealed would be out of the question at this time, but I don't see anything that prevents me from carrying my regular folder that I use in the performance of my work.

Last edited:
At least a little more info

Max, spoke with a knowledgeable sales person behind the knife counter at Sportsman's Warehouse today about the dilemma and he pulled out a printed item similar to this. It came from Conway Greene Company. I went onto their site and navigated/searched until I came upon this.

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.
A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;
(3) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];
(4) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or
(5) by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978].

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

I would try a Ka-Bar TDI. It fits in a holster on your belt and is the same size if not a little smaller then a folding pocket knife. They look like this.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Size of knife in photos is 2 5/16" "that's blade" the overall length is 5 5/8"

They come in a longer blade as well. The bigger one is 3 11/16" "blade" and 7 9/16" overall.

They come in Serrated edge and straight edge.

A fixed blade knife worn in a position as to be immediately accessible with your non-dominant hand can be employed as a last ditch effort to prevent the suspect from getting your firearm. You could use the knife to cut the suspect's arm or other areas to cause him to release his grip on your firearm.

A fixed blade knife is recommended because, although you may be able to rapidly deploy a folding knife under normal conditions, in a fight for your life, doing so might be just short of impossible. This can be attributed to the loss of fine motor skills that is associated with highly stressful encounters.

It is your duty to fight with every ounce of energy you can muster and use whatever means necessary to retain your firearm!

"Taken from Officer.com"

New Mexico - Criminal Offenses - 30-1-12. Definitions...
B. "deadly weapon" means any... weapon which is capable of
producing death or great bodily harm, including but not
restricted to any types of daggers, brass knuckles,
switchblade knives, bowie knives, poniards, butcher
knives, dirk knives and all such weapons with which
dangerous cuts can be given, or with which dangerous
thrusts can be inflicted, including swordcanes, and any
kind of sharp pointed canes...

Last edited:
Brief summary of [Practical] Blade Length limits for Knife Carry in the U.S.
State open / cncl -folder- -fixed- dagger auto bali univ notes
FED both 2" s no no no no n/a
AL (BL) cncl yes <"long"* <"long"* yes yes 13A-11-50; * caselaw calls long single-edged knives bowie knives, which are banned for concealed carry; see Smelley v State 472 So.2d 715 (1985). Butcher knives are bowies via Brewer v State 113 Ala. 106 (1897); see also Haynes v State 6 S.W.2d 319.
open yes yes yes yes yes
AK (BL) cncl yes* no no no no 11.61.200-240; * statute bans switchblades and gravity knives completely, and it bans concealed carry of anything but an "ordinary pocketknife". Balisongs are not gravity knives: State v. Strange.
open yes yes yes no yes
AZ (BL) cncl yes*? no no no ?* 13-3102; * "pocket knife" only; no useful caselaw. Statute is constitutional: Dano v Collins 802 P.2d 1021 (1990).
open yes yes yes yes yes
AR (BL) cncl 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s 5-73-120,121; travelling exception; sec. 120 bans carry of anything with intent to use as a weapon. A three-justice dissent in Garcia v State 969 S.W.2d 591 (1998) makes a good argument against the constitutionality of the 3.5" limit, with a good U.S. Supreme Court quote toward the end of the dissent. Sec. 120 was enacted after 121, and they overlap; 121 probably should have been repealed, and 121 is probably unconstitutional. Also, Nesdahl v State 890 S.W.2d 596 (1995) and Smith v State 411 S.W.2d 510 (1967).
open 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s
CA (BL) cncl yes no no no no* see 626.10 12020(a), 653k;See Jim March's Excellent CA knife law summary and the CA county ordinances in the "local ordinances" link just above this table. For instance, L.A. bans open carry of 3"+ knives (with vague "lawful recreation" exception); Oakland bans 3"+ knives completely. A much despised case, People ex rel. Mautner v Quattrone 211 Cal.App.3d 1389 (1989), held that butterfly knives are covered by CA's switchblade prohibition. People v Rosalio S. 41 Cal Rptr.2d 534 deals with a leatherman and the 2.5" school limit, finding the leatherman illegal because blades are legally measured from tip to handle, not just along the sharpened edge.
open yes yes no no no*
CO (BL) cncl 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s no no 18-12-101..105; open carry of anything may be legal, but expect to be hassled particularly in Denver. There is a hunting/fishing exception. Knives <3.5" are illegal to carry concealed with intent to use as a weapon, but otherwise are okay: A.P.E. v People 20 P.3d 1179 (2001). The knife in that case is not described, but presumably it is a balisong that was ruled to be a gravity knife at trial, mentioned in People v Pickett, 571 P.2d 1078 (1977). People v Gross 830 P.2d 933 (1992) is sometimes cited in reference to CO knife laws, but it's really a stretch to connect that to typical enforcement of sec. 102.
open yes yes yes no no
CT (BL) cncl 3.4"* cl / 4" s ? 1.5" s 1.5" s no 53-206; * vague caselaw. Highly dubious. <3" or a non-tactical folder is safer. 3.5" knife used in self defense may be prosecutable: State v Holloway, 528 A.2d 1176 (1987), despite State v Harris 258 A.2d 319 (1968) which held that without obvious intent, the 4" limit was strict and could not be lowered by a finding that the knife was a dangerous weapon. CT is truly a land of sheep: in State v Sealy 546 A.2d 271 (1988), a knife with a 4.5" blade is described as a butcher knife.
open 3.4"* cl / 4" s ? 1.5" s 1.5" s no
DE (BL) cncl 3" s no no no no 11.222,11.1442,11.1446; 1446 bans switchblades (anything using a spring or gravity)
open yes yes yes no no?
D.C. (BL) cncl 3" s 3" s 3" s no 3" s 22-4514,22-3204; 4.5" folder is illegal: Scott v. United States, 243 A.2d 54 (1968). Technically, by law knives with blades longer than three inches are illegal only with intent to use unlawfully, but as in many states, the burden of proof is typically reversed when dealing with larger knives.
open 3" s 3" s 3" s no 3" s
FL (BL) cncl 4"* cl no no no no 790.001,01; * It seems dangerous to rely on this. L.B. v State 700 So.2d 370 (1997) suggests that a closed folder of 3.75" is okay, due in part to an identical AG opinion from 1951 (stating knives up to 4" are common pocketknives). However, that "common pocketknife" exception is only for the definition of "weapon". "Concealed weapon" in 790.001 has no "common pocketknife" exception as the "weapon" statute does; this distinction is presented in Baldwin v State, 857 So. 2d 249 (2003). State v. Ortiz, 504 So. 2d 39: a 4" folder may be a concealed weapon because determination of "common pocketknife" is a jury question. Folding knives must be carried closed: Walls v State 730 So. 2d 294 (1999), Porter v State 798 So.2d 855 (2001). A tactical knife may not be a "common pocketknife": J.D.L.R. v State 701 So. 2d 626 (1997). There is plenty of other interesting caselaw: 504 So. 2d 39 (1987); Nystrom 777 So. 2d 1013; State v. A.D.H., 429 So. 2d 1316 (1983); Simmons v. State, 780 So. 2d 263 (2001); Garcia v State, 789 So. 2d 1059 (2001). For legal status of icepicks and razors, see State v. Tremblay, 642 So. 2d 64 (1994) and Robinson v. State, 547 So. 2d 321 (1989)
open yes yes yes yes yes
GA (BL) cncl ? no no no ? 16-11-126,127,127.1; The statutes prohibit carrying any offensive/defensive weapon concealed. It is also illegal to carry any such knife to a public gathering. In short, don't ever claim self defense as a reason for carrying a concealed knife. Carry laws at schools or at school events are much more strict (no dirks, bowies, switchblades, or knives with blades over 2"). Violation of those school restrictions (127.1) is a felony.
open yes yes yes yes yes
HI (BL) cncl yes* yes* no no no 134-51,52,53; Those sections ban dirk/dagger/deadly weapons, switchblades (spring/gravity), and balisong/butterfly knives, respectively. * must not be principally designed as a weapon.
open yes yes yes no no
ID (BL) cncl no 18-3302; Dirks and bowie knives are illegal except in the wilderness. So are "other deadly or dangerous weapon", whatever that's supposed to mean.
open no
IA (BL) cncl 5" s 5" s no no no 702.7 (def.), 724.4; Balisongs are "dangerous weapons" and are illegal to carry concealed: In Re. F.A.B. (2004). It's likely that daggers and autos would also be "dangerous weapons". (Note: entry fixed 2004-03-13)
open yes yes yes yes yes
IL (BL) cncl yes yes yes no According to statute, a crime involving most knife carry only occurs if there is intent to use the knife unlawfully. Like several other state, though, in liberal areas like Chicago it's likely that unlawful intent would be presumed.
open yes yes yes no
IN (BL) cncl yes yes yes no yes IC 35-47-5-2
open yes yes yes no yes
KS (BL) cncl 4" s no no no no
open 4" s no no no no
KY (BL) cncl SAK?* cl no no no no 500.080, 527.020; * Stout v Commonwealth 33 S.W.3d 531 (2000) held that a 3" locking folder is deadly weapon. Also see Mason v Commonwealth 396 S.W.2d 797 (1965), Montgomery v Commonwealth 346 S.W.2d 479 (1961), Williams v Commonwealth 304 Ky. 359 / 200 S.W.2d 926
open yes yes yes yes yes no
LA (BL) cncl <4"* cl no no no * State v. Ordon suggests that a 4" knife is illegal;
open yes? yes yes no
ME (BL) cncl yes yes yes no yes
open yes yes yes no yes
MA (BL) cncl yes yes no 1.5"? s yes 269-10(b)... a typical lawyer-turned-legislator-crafted 232-word sentence fragment. I have no idea what it means, and I haven't found any illuminating caselaw.
open yes yes no 1.5"? s yes
MD (BL) cncl yes ?* no no no GCR 4-101; * technically "yes" unless it's intended as a weapon, but probably no. Again, this is a situation where intent is required by the statute, but ends up being presumed unless the defendent can prove otherwise. Anderson v State broadly discusses the statute and some D.C. caselaw on the subject.
open yes yes yes yes yes
MI (BL) cncl yes yes no no yes 750.226a; 750.227; It's illegal to carry anything above a 3" statutory limit with intent to use unlawfully. The standard caution applies: unlawful intent could be presumed by a court if the knife is scary enough. Also, no carry of daggers/stilettos, concealed or not, is allowed in a vehicle.
open yes yes yes no yes
MN (BL) cncl yes? yes? ? no yes? 609.66(1)(4) and (5);
open yes? yes? ? no yes?
MO (BL) cncl 4" s no no no ? 571.010(10),571.030;
open 4" s no no no ?
MS (BL) cncl yes* yes* no no yes* 97-37-1; * bowie and butcher knives are illegal to carry. No definitions are given.
open yes yes yes yes yes
MT (BL) cncl 4" s 4" s no no 4" s 45-8-316,331;
open yes yes yes no yes
NC (BL) cncl 3.5"?* cl no? no no no? 14-269; * 4.5" handle length, carried closed, is legal (therefore the blade length is probably around 3.5"): Dale B. (juv) 96 N.C. App. 375. There is very little other caselaw, and like in most places, the statute may not be routinely enforced.
open 3.5"?* cl no? no no no?
ND (BL) cncl 5" 5" no no 5"? 62.1-01;
open yes yes yes yes yes
NE (BL) cncl yes yes* no no? yes 28-1202. * Bowies are prohibited. 28-1201 is disturbing; it defines knives as anything more than 3.5", but "knife" is never used in Section 28 in a manner that could utilize that definition.
open yes yes* no no? yes
NH (BL) cncl yes yes no no yes 159:16;
open yes yes no no yes
NJ (BL) cncl * * no no no 2C:39-3; Apparently you need an explainable lawful purpose to get away with carrying anything besides a dagger/dirk/stiletto, auto, gravity, or balistic knife, which are flat-out illegal. Even then, as in most states, certain less-common knives would probably be "per se" weapons even with an explanation. * NJ state police seem to think all knives are illegal unless the carrier has an explainable lawful purpose. Legally, that probably isn't so, but it may take a court hearing, some lightening of your pockets, and some quality time in jail to sort things out.
open no no
NM (BL) cncl no no 30-7-8;
open yes no
NV (BL) cncl yes yes yes 2" s
open yes yes yes 2" s
NY (BL) cncl yes yes yes no yes* Other than switchblades and gravity knives, dangerous knives are only illegal when coupled with intent to harm another; that intent is presumed if the carrier possesses drugs. In re Alicia P. cites interesting knife-related caselaw. NY law requires malintent for most kinds of knives before carry becomes illegal. People v Kindred 18 A.D.2d 1086 held that a 15-18 inch knife was a "per se" weapon, possibly under a defunct statute. * Balisongs are not gravity knives: People v. Zuniga (2003).
open yes yes yes no yes*
NYC cncl 4" s 4" s 4" s no no? Switchblades are banned on account of State law. Limits are for concealed carry only; open carry is banned.
open no no no no no
OH (BL) cncl 4"* cl no no no 2923.12; concealed deadly weapons are prohibited. Balisongs are deadly weapons: Columbus v. Dawson. * A locking 4" folder is not a deadly weapon by itself, but these cases talk about the knives as if they required two-handed opening; modern knives with thumbholes/studs for one-handed opening may not be legal: State v. Anderson,
open yes yes yes yes yes
OK (BL) cncl yes yes* no* no* no*
open yes yes* no* no* no*
OR (BL) cncl yes yes no no no 166.240; prohibitions may not be constitutional: State v. Delgado, 298 Or. 395 (1984)
open yes yes yes yes? yes
PA (BL) cncl yes yes Balisongs are okay: Commonwealth v. Miles.
open yes yes
RI (BL) cncl 3" s 3" s 3" s 3" s 3" s 11-47-42;
open yes yes yes yes yes
SC (BL) cncl yes yes yes yes yes
open yes yes yes yes yes
SD (BL) cncl yes yes yes yes yes* * 22-14-29: carry by minors is restricted;
open yes yes yes yes yes*
TN (BL) cncl 4" s 4" s 4" s no
open 4" s 4" s 4" s no
TX (BL) cncl 5.5" s 5.5" s no no no 46.02; Note: caselaw suggests that blade length is measured from tip to handle; see McMurrough v State 995 S.W.2d 944; Rainer v State 763 S.W.2d 615. Folding knives can be daggers if dual-edged: see Goldberg v State 95 S.W.3d 345. Balisongs/Butterfly knives are opened by centrifugal force and are prohibited: Smith v. State, 1988 (no cite). Note, however, that that case is not citable as authority for the Prosecution if you are arrested for bali carry. Other cases mentioning in passing that butterfly knives are illegal: 926 S.W.2d 307 (1996); 2003 Tex. App. LEXIS 5473.
open 5.5" s 5.5" s no no no
UT (BL) cncl 3.5"?* cl no no no * This is a guess based on Kirkwood (cite below; 4" bad, 3" good). "Dangerous weapon" cases tend to involve restricted persons, so the law may not be generally enforced on people stopped for ordinary infractions. See State v Kirkwood, 47 P.3d 111 (2002). A very unhappy Appeals Court also decided that a 4.5" folding knife is a "dangerous weapon", 898 P.2d 271 (1995) due to stare decis of State v Archambeau 820 P.2d 920 (1991).
open yes yes yes yes
VA (BL) cncl yes yes no no yes 18.2-308;
open yes yes yes yes yes
VT (BL) cncl yes yes yes 3" yes 13-4003,4013,4016;
open yes yes yes 3" yes
WA (BL) cncl yes yes no no no 9.41.250, 270;
open yes yes yes no no
WV (BL) cncl 3.5" s 3.5" s 3.5" s no no 61-7-2,3; Statute declares that most knives over 3.5" are illegal to carry concealed; pocketknives <3.5" and hunting/fishing knives (which probably require evidence of sporting use) are legal, anything else is in a gray zone.
open yes yes yes yes yes
WI (BL) cncl yes* no no no no 941.23,24: concealed carry of "dangerous weapons" and switchblade/gravity/flickable knives is strictly illegal. Balisongs are illegal: 149 Wis. 2d 534 (1989).
open yes* yes yes no no
WY (BL) cncl ? no no no ? 6-1-104,6-8-104; "deadly weapon" is determined by an item's inherent intended use or by carrier's intended use. Statute is constitutional: State v. McAdams (1986).
open yes yes yes yes yes

Where blade length is specified, "s" means the length limit is written into the statute, while "cl" means the length limit is based on caselaw.

The "college" column indicates a statutory limit for colleges more restrictive than usual. Many colleges have their own policies, and breaking them might result in unpleasant hassling by police, but such policies are not law.

Stilettos/poniards are not dealt with here. (Sharp pointy things with no functional edge.)

CCW exemptions to non-firearm carry laws are not mentioned in this page. If you have a CCW/CHL/CHP, it may give you permission to carry knives that would otherwise be illegal. This is notably the case in Florida, where a handgun permit is really a concealed weapon permit, and allows you to carry virtually anything as long as you keep it concealed.

If this is hard for you to read here is the web site to it.

Link Removed
Here is another good one with about knife laws in the US.
http://www.knifelawsonline.com/knifehome/StateLawsContent/tabid/57/Default.aspx
Here is another good one.
Link Removed

Last edited:
Here is a list from CTD or illegal stuff by state.

Airguns
o Bridgeport, CT
o Delaware
o Illinois
o Massachusetts
o Miami, FL
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o New York
o Rhode Island
o San Francisco, CA
o Washington, DC
o
Air RIFLES only:
+ St. Augustine, FL
o
Accessories for airguns:
+ Bridgeport, CT
+ Miami, FL
+ San Francisco, CA
Airsoft guns:
o Bridgeport, CT
o California
o Delaware
o Illinois
o Massachusetts
o Miami, FL
o Michigan
o Minnesota
o New Jersey
o New York
o Washington, DC
o
Accessories for airsoft guns:
+ Bridgeport, CT
+ California
+ Miami, FL
Ammunition:
o Alaska
o APO/FPO
o California (tracer ammo only)
o Chicago, IL
o Hawaii
o Massachusetts
o New York City, NY
o Oakland, CA
o Sacramento, CA
o San Francisco, CA
o Washington, DC
o Marin County California
o
.50 BMG ammunition: only armor-piercing, incendiary and/or tracer:
+ Connecticut
o
Over .60 caliber except for shotgun ammo:
+ California
o
Handgun ammo with bullets made of tungsten alloys, steel, brass, iron, bronze, beryllium copper or depleted uranium:
+ New York
o
Reloading components i.e. bullets and brass
+ Massachusetts
Assault weapon gear:
o
Aurora, IL
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Bayonet mount
# Flash suppressor
# Threaded barrel
+
Pistols:
# Detachable mag outside the pistol grip
# Shroud
# Threaded muzzle
# Fixed high-cap mag
+
Semi-auto shotguns:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
o
California
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Folding stock
# Thumbhole stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Flash suppressor
# Forward pistol grip
# Detachable SKS mag
+
Pistols:
# Second handgrip
# Shroud (except for a slide)
# Threaded barrel that accommodates a flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer
+
Semi-auto shotguns:
# Folding stock
# Thumbhole stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Detachable mag
# Revolving cylinder
o
Chicago, IL
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Detachable SKS mag
o
Connecticut
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Bayonet mount
# Flash suppressor
# Threaded barrel
+
Pistols:
# Threaded barrel
# Flash suppressor
# Barrel extender
# Forward handgrip
# Shroud
+
Semi-auto shotguns:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Detachable mag
o
New Jersey:
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Detachable SKS mag
+
Semi-auto shotguns:
# Folding stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Revolving cylinder
o
New York
+
Centerfire rifles:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Bayonet mount
# Flash suppressor
# Threaded barrel
# Shroud
+
Pistols:
# Barrel extender
# Second handgrip
# Flash suppressor
# Threaded barrel
# Shroud
+
Semi-auto shotguns:
# Folding stock
# Telescoping stock
# Protruding pistol grip
# Bayonet mount
# Flash suppressor
# Threaded barrel
# Shroud
# Revolving cylinder
Batons, billy clubs, nightsticks, slaps:
o Aurora, IL
o California
o Charleston, SC
o Cheyenne, WY
o Chicago, IL
o Colorado
o Knoxville, TN
o Massachusetts
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o New York
o Ohio
o Pennsylvania
o Phoenix, AZ
o Rhode Island
o Salt Lake City, UT
o Seattle, WA
o Virginia
o Washington, DC
Black powder guns:
o Hawaii
o Illinois
o Massachusetts
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o New York City, NY
o Rhode Island
o Tennessee
o Wilmington, DE

Blowguns & blowgun darts:
o California
o Massachusetts
o New York City, NY
o Rhode Island
Bows:
o Dover, DE
Cane Swords:
o California
o New York
Crossbows:
o Dover, DE
o New Jersey
o New York City, NY
o North Carolina
o Rhode Island
o
Accessories for crossbows:
+ Dover, DE
+ New York City, NY
Fuel cans (surplus cans):
o California
o Connecticut
o Delaware
o Maine
o Maryland
o New Hampshire
o New Jersey
o New York
o Pennsylvania
o Washington, DC
Handcuffs & leg irons:
o New Jersey
o New York City, NY
Holsters
o Los Angeles, CA (Any holster for a handgun that is less than 6.75" long)
Knives:
o California (Pen-knife combo)
o Knoxville, TN (Bowie knives)
o New York City, NY (Folding knives that lock open with blades over 4")
o
Daggers & Throwing knives:
+ Knoxville, TN
+ Massachusetts
+ New Jersey
+ New Hampshire
+ Pennsylvania
+ Pittsburgh, VA (2-bladed throwing knives only)
+ Virginia Beach, VA (2-bladed throwing knives only)
Lasers:
o New York City, NY
Laser sights:
o Chicago, IL
Lock Picking Tools
o California
o Washington, DC
Machetes:
o Chelsea, MA
o Everett, MA
o Lynn, MA
o Revere, MA
Mags & clips (R=rifle; P=pistol; S=shotgun; CF=centerfire; RF=rimfire):
o
All mags:
+ New York City, NY
o
Over 10 rounds:
+ California (all)
+ Hawaii (all)
+ Massachusetts (all)
+ New York (all)
o
Over 12 rounds:
+ Chicago, IL (all)
o
Over 15 rounds:
+ Aurora, IL (R & P: CF & RF)
+ New Jersey (all)
+ South Bend, IN
o
Over 20 rounds:
+ Maryland (all)
Multi-burst trigger activators:
o Buffalo, NY
o California
o Rochester, NY
Night vision devices:
o Buffalo, NY
o Rochester, NY
Pepper spray (any size):
o Hawaii
o Massachusetts
o Menasha, IL
o Mobile, AL
o Nevada
o New York
o Washington, DC
o
Over 4 oz:
+ Hawaii
+ Massachusetts
+ Menasha, IL
+ Mobile, AL
+ Nevada
+ New York
+ Portland, OR
+ Texas
+ Washington, DC
o
Over 2 oz:
+ California
+ Florida
+ Hawaii
+ Massachusetts
+ Menasha, IL
+ Mobile, AL
+ Nevada
+ New York
+ North Carolina
+ South Carolina
+ Washington, DC
o
At least 15 grams & up to 60 grams (1/2 oz. to 2 oz.); range from 6 ft. to 20 ft.:
+ Wisconsin (MUST be a canister; cannot look like another product - pen, lipstick, etc.)
+
No more than 2%:
# Michigan
Slingshots:
o Aurora, IL
o California
o Charleston, SC
o Chicago, IL
o Dover, DE
o Duluth, MN
o Falls Church, VA
o Knoxville, TN
o Massachusetts
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o New York
o Rhode Island
o Salt Lake City, UT
o St. Augustine, FL
o St. Louis, MO
o Wilmington, DE
Starter (blank) pistols:
o Hawaii
o Illinois
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o Rhode Island
Tasers & stun guns:
o Illinois
o Denison, IA
o Hawaii
o Maryland
o Massachusetts
o Michigan
o New Jersey
o New York
o Pennsylvania
o Portland, OR
o Rhode Island
o South Bend, IN
o St. Paul, MN
o Washington, DC
o Wisconsin
Throwing Stars/Shuriken:
o Aurora, IL
o California
o Charleston, SC
o Indiana
o Kansas
o Massachusetts
o Michigan
o New York
o Petersburg, VA
o Seattle, WA
o Virginia Beach, VA

Yeah, even #5 is a little vague. I don't know if that means that carrying a knife if you have a conceal/carry license or not. What I understood is that the license only applied to a handgun. It's just way too complicated.

Hey, I'm in Las Cruces too. Look me up if you want someone to go shooting with!

Max

Max, spoke with a knowledgeable sales person behind the knife counter at Sportsman's Warehouse today about the dilemma and he pulled out a printed item similar to this. It came from Conway Greene Company. I went onto their site and navigated/searched until I came upon this.

30-7-2. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon.
A. Unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon consists of carrying a concealed loaded firearm or any other type of deadly weapon anywhere, except in the following cases:

(1) in the person's residence or on real property belonging to him as owner, lessee, tenant or licensee;
(2) in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for lawful protection of the person's or another's person or property;
(3) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is certified pursuant to the Law Enforcement Training Act [29-7-1 NMSA 1978];
(4) by a peace officer in accordance with the policies of his law enforcement agency who is employed on a temporary basis by that agency and who has successfully completed a course of firearms instruction prescribed by the New Mexico law enforcement academy or provided by a certified firearms instructor who is employed on a permanent basis by a law enforcement agency; or
(5) by a person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued to him by the department of public safety pursuant to the provisions of the Concealed Handgun Carry Act [29-19-1 NMSA 1978].

B. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prevent the carrying of any unloaded firearm.

C. Whoever commits unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.

Question...

WTH am I missing here?!? What're all the codes -- #^%^%$#& -- and what do they mean? Did I miss that part? I have special interest in NJ and SC. While I tend not to ask questions I don't particularly want to know the answer to, you've already provided the answers...I might as well know the questions, too.

Great job by the way...whatever they mean. Great, exhaustive work. Well done.

FWIW, I carried . . . more-or-less open, in a homemade IWB belt sheath with the handle exposed . . . a Gerber Mk I for years, all over NYC and the Boroughs, even once into 1 Police Plaza. Never challenged or questioned. Still have it, and the sheath. One day if we ever get together under agreeable circumstances, I'll bring it along.

Last edited:
Handgun/Knife

What I read and understand is that if you have a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) that has been issued pursuant to state statutes then you can carry a deadly weapon concealed. A deadly weapon could be a handgun, but could also be any number of things listed else where in the statutes.

I would like to get together and possibly go shooting sometimes. I'm new to the shooting sport but do intend to be safe and diligent about my responsibility.

john

Yeah, even #5 is a little vague. I don't know if that means that carrying a knife if you have a conceal/carry license or not. What I understood is that the license only applied to a handgun. It's just way too complicated.

Hey, I'm in Las Cruces too. Look me up if you want someone to go shooting with!

Max

Last edited:
Question...

WTH am I missing here?!? What're all the codes -- #^%^%$#& -- and what do they mean? Did I miss that part? I have special interest in NJ and SC. While I tend not to ask questions I don't particularly want to know the answer to, you've already provided the answers...I might as well know the questions, too.

Great job by the way...whatever they mean. Great, exhaustive work. Well done.

FWIW, I carried . . . more-or-less open, in a homemade IWB belt sheath with the handle exposed . . . a Gerber Mk I for years, all over NYC and the Boroughs, even once into 1 Police Plaza. Never challenged or questioned. Still have it, and the sheath. One day if we ever get together under agreeable circumstances, I'll bring it along.

Here is NJ law on Knifes.

2C:39-3; Apparently you need an explainable lawful purpose to get away with carrying anything besides a dagger/dirk/stiletto, auto, gravity, or balistic knife, which are flat-out illegal. Even then, as in most states, certain less-common knives would probably be "per se" weapons even with an explanation. * NJ state police seem to think all knives are illegal unless the carrier has an explainable lawful purpose. Legally, that probably isn't so, but it may take a court hearing, some lightening of your pockets, and some quality time in jail to sort things out.

New Jersey - Code of Criminal Justice

- 2C:39-3 Prohibited Weapons and Devices...

e. Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his
possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger,
dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub,
slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with
metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic
knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty
of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-1 h. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a
blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof
by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal
force... p. "Switchblade knife" means any knife or similar
device which has blade which opens automatically by hand
pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in
the handle of the knife... u. "Ballistic knife" means any
weapon or other device capable of lethal use and which can
propel a knife blade.

- 2C:39-4. Possession of weapons for unlawful purposes...
d. Other weapons. Any person who has in his possession any
weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use it
unlawfully against the person or property of another is
guilty of a crime of the third degree.

- 2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons... d. Other weapons.
Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other
weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for
such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of
the fourth degree.
- - e. Firearms or other weapons in educational institutions...
(2)Any person who knowingly possesses any weapon enumerated
in paragraphs (3) and (4) of subsection r. of N.J.S.2C:39-1
or any components which can readily be assembled into a
firearm or other weapon enumerated in subsection r. of
N.J.S.2C:39-1 or any other weapon under circumstances not
manifestly appropriate for such lawful use as it may have,
while in or upon any part of the buildings or grounds of any
school, college, university or other educational institution
without the written authorization of the governing officer
of the institution is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

- 2C:39-6. f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5
shall be construed to prevent... (2) A person carrying a firearm
or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State
for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided
that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting
or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession
a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing,
a valid fishing license;

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or
fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid
hunting or fishing license; or

- 2C:39-9. d. Weapons. Any person who manufactures, causes to
be manufactured, transports, ships, sells or disposes of
any weapon including gravity knives, switchblade knives,
daggers, dirks, stilettos... is guilty of a crime of the
fourth degree.

- 2C:39-9.1... Any person who sells any hunting, fishing,
combat or survival knife having a blade length of five
inches or more or an overall length of 10 inches or more
to a person under 18 years of age commits a crime of the
fourth degree...

New Jersey Case Law:
- "Concealment was not a necessary element of the offense of
carrying a dangerous knife." (1973)
- "Concealment of weapon at time of incident constituted
important factor of offense of possession of dangerous
knife." (1971)

SC

-folder- -fixed- dagger auto bali
cncl yes yes yes yes yes
open yes yes yes yes yes

updated 7/13/2005

South Carolina - 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.
Any person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days. Nothing herein contained may be construed to apply to (1) persons carrying concealed weapons upon their own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, or (2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties. The provisions of this section do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

- 16-23-430. Carrying weapons on school property.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person, except State, county or municipal law-enforcement officers or personnel authorized by school officials, to carry on his person, while on any elementary or secondary school property, a knife, with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, firearms or any other type of weapon, device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
(2) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years, or both. Any weapon or object used in violation of this section may be confiscated by the law enforcement division making the arrest.

- 16-23-405. Definition of "weapon"; confiscation and disposition of weapons used in commission or in furtherance of crime.
(1) Except for the provisions relating to rifles and shotguns in Section 16-23-460, as used in this chapter, 'weapon' means firearm (rifle, shotgun, pistol, or similar device that propels a projectile through the energy of an explosive), a knife with a blade over two inches long, a blackjack, a metal pipe or pole, or any other type of device or object which may be used to inflict bodily injury or death.
(2) A person convicted of a crime, in addition to a penalty, shall have a weapon used in the commission or in furtherance of the crime confiscated.

16-23-490. Additional punishment for possession of firearm or knife during commission of, or attempt to commit, violent crime.
(A) If a person is in possession of a firearm or visibly displays what appears to be a firearm or visibly displays a knife during the commission of a violent crime and is convicted of committing or attempting to commit a violent crime as defined in Section 16-1-60, he must be imprisoned five years, in addition to the punishment provided for the principal crime. This five-year sentence does not apply in cases where the death penalty or a life sentence without parole is imposed for the violent crime.
(D) As used in this section... "knife" means an instrument or tool consisting of a sharp cutting blade whether or not fastened to a handle which is capable of being used to inflict a cut, slash, or wound.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back