Concealed Carry Revocation - Judicial Review

MinaHarker

Hello All! I am an attorney in Colorado and I have a client whose CCP was revoked because a neighbor (history here I won't bore you with) tried to get a protection order against him. The neighbor was not successful and the protection order case was dismissed, however the sheriff refused to return the CCP and stated that my client was a danger to himself and others because of his past behavior.
I am now drafting a complaint for judicial review, but I'm not quite sure what claims to make....so far I have procedural due process, but I'm not sure what else to include.
Does anyone have an example complaint for judicial review of a revocation of a CCP that I can take a look at? Or know where one is?
Thanks in advance!

Hello All! I am an attorney in Colorado and I have a client whose CCP was revoked because a neighbor (history here I won't bore you with) tried to get a protection order against him. The neighbor was not successful and the protection order case was dismissed, however the sheriff refused to return the CCP and stated that my client was a danger to himself and others because of his past behavior.
I am now drafting a complaint for judicial review, but I'm not quite sure what claims to make....so far I have procedural due process, but I'm not sure what else to include.
Does anyone have an example complaint for judicial review of a revocation of a CCP that I can take a look at? Or know where one is?
Thanks in advance!

an attorney coming to an online forum seeking legal advice??? now I am closer to seeing it all!!
don't you have any colleagues out there in CO that you can reach out to for advice? how about calling the NRA state or national headquarters for help.

Not to sound rude, but it is a bit unusual for us to be advising an attorney. It would seem that the same defense would apply if the client had been arrested for stealing a motorcycle, which was summarilay (SP) towed to an impound. Then the client manages to provide the documentation that it is his, but the police refuse to release it back to him, because they don't like motorcycles, or one of them had crashed a bike once and doesn't want anyone else to be hurt.

I'm an instructor in CO. AFAIK the sheriff of the county you live in has the last word on whether you can get a concealed permit. While CO is a shall issue state there is no guarantee you can get a permit, and the assumption is the local sheriff knows his constituents best. I serve about 4 counties in the area and I can tell you not all sheriffs are Second Amendment friendly. That said, the local sheriff may have more good info about why someone should not have a permit than you know. Furthermore, anyone turned down can file an appeal, but I have no idea who rules on that appeal.

Come on guys, I am not particulary a lawyer friendly person, but so what if he came here asking advice, what just because he's a lawyer he's supposed to automaticly know this crap, he just wanted to save some footsteps, and thought someone here may have pertenant information, he's trying to help a dude get his permit back, unfortunately for what I know about the permit rules in Co, he may be screwed, as the county sheriff doe's have final say, so if the sheriff is a butthead he's in for a long fight,

Why did the neighbor file for a protection order, even tho it was dismissed in court? What were the other past behavioral problems? We have part of the picture and need more evidence and ALL the facts surrounding the case. I would like more info for this thread.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back