concealed carry question

rrfrazie

So i'm thinking about getting a concealed carry permit when I turn 21. I do have one concern about obtaining one. I recieved an uncharacterized discharge from the Army National Guard as I became medically disqualified soon after going in. Would this hinder me from obtaining a concealed carry permit in North Carolina?

Chapter 14-415.12 b7 states "The sheriff shall deny a permit to an applicant who ... has been discharged from the armed forces under conditions other than honorable ..."
GS_14-415.12

See if your Guard paperwork lists your status as "honorable" or get some kind of statement too qualify what "uncharacterized discharge" means pertaining to an honorable status?

I'm not sure if the Sheriff will know what you're status means unless it's stated in some kind of notorized document.

Call the Sheriff's Office in your county and ask them what type of documentation you need to prove your status. If you're in Mecklenburg, their no. is (704) 336-3664.

Wish I could be of more help.

"Other Than Honorable" is an official discharge category, The statutes might mean just that, so a general (or medical) discharge is OK but not an OTH. I do not know if this is what they mean or not, but it might mean you are not disqualified because of it.

I had a General Discharge under Honorable Conditions (20 years ago) and I received my CCP.
There are exceptions to the "Honorable Discharge" rule.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back