Concealed Carry Liability Insurance

swtex

I'm new to this site. Plan on taking CHL class soon.

I read an advertisement for liability insurance for people who carry concealed. Their selling point was "if you have to use your weapon in self defense, even if you are in the right; there's a chance that you could get sued and you will need a lawyer and that could cost thousands".

I've asked every gun owner I know and no one has it. I've researched it online and really can't find any information on it. Seems like a good idea. Comments?

First, welcome to the site.

This topic has come up before. Yes, if you use your weapon in self defense, there is a chance that you will have to go to court. Insurance is a good idea. Even if you don't opt for insurance, find a good gun-friendly lawyer and make his acquaintance. Find out if they will represent you if needed. Once you have located such a lawyer, put them on speed dial so their number is easy to find.

Is this available as an endorsement on your homeowners' policy, or is it a stand alone policy? I am in the insurance industry and I have not heard of stand alone options.

Neal

just had this very discussion with my agent a few weeks ago... at least for me (Farmers) I am covered up to $300,000 on my homeowners, but he suggested if I was concerned, to get a $1mil rider on my homeowners policy. I forget the quote I got, but the price was reasonable.

BEWARE!! Insurance companies are good at getting their forms out, are good at collecting their monies, but are not exactly "efficient" when it comes to gving out the money. With something as difficult as CC, self defense, and the need to have used your firearm, there are many loopholes for insurance companies to crawl into and wear you down, which is probably what they will do. Try and find out how "good" these outfits are in really being proactive and providing the support and coverage that you "think" you are paying for.

This thread should drive home the point, and remind everyone again that; Using deadly force is serious.

You can lose everything you own. In addtion to losing your freedom.

Do you see the language in the policies offered?

"Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped."

Think of your libility next time you decide to strap on your Taurus PT1911 in your uncle mikes sidekick holster, and open carry in the local Walmart. Or,,,,,,

" Criminal Defense Reimbursement for alleged criminal actions involving self-defense when you are acquitted of such criminal charges or the charges are dropped."

If you committed a crime they are not going to cover you. If you follow the laws provided for personal defense in you state you should be ok. Seek out a local lawyer that deals with self defense laws to answer any questions you might have. The money will be worth the piece of mind knowing that you understand your local laws.

You can also check out Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network, LLC. I don't hink this is an insurance policy, more like a network of lawyers and professionals to help you after the fact in a dealy force encounter.

just had this very discussion with my agent a few weeks ago... at least for me (Farmers) I am covered up to $300,000 on my homeowners, but he suggested if I was concerned, to get a $1mil rider on my homeowners policy. I forget the quote I got, but the price was reasonable.

Your agent should call claims and ask for a RLA. THat is a request for legal advice from their atty dept. I have been in claims for 14 years, as an adjuster, supervisor and state manager. Liability does not cover intentional acts under any policy for any company I have worked for or discussed.

"We do not cover bodily injury...which is caused by, arises out of or is the result of an intentional act by or at the direction of any insured. This includes any intentional act by any insured whether a criminal act or otherwise, where resulting injury or damage would be objectively expected to a high degree of likelihood..."

Shooting someone I would think would both be intentional and have a reasonable expectation of injury. Still, an insurance atty might say something different although there is likely plenty of case law out there. I am getting ready to give a depo on a claim and I think I will ask my atty his opinion for Nevada.

Your agent should call claims and ask for a RLA. THat is a request for legal advice from their atty dept. I have been in claims for 14 years, as an adjuster, supervisor and state manager. Liability does not cover intentional acts under any policy for any company I have worked for or discussed.

"We do not cover bodily injury...which is caused by, arises out of or is the result of an intentional act by or at the direction of any insured. This includes any intentional act by any insured whether a criminal act or otherwise, where resulting injury or damage would be objectively expected to a high degree of likelihood..."

Shooting someone I would think would both be intentional and have a reasonable expectation of injury. Still, an insurance atty might say something different although there is likely plenty of case law out there. I am getting ready to give a depo on a claim and I think I will ask my atty his opinion for Nevada.

Thanks, buddy...great info...I will follow-up and post the results.

Seems like someone posted about a company that specialized in this insurance a little while back. I don't think they covered most states yet but were working on it. They would cover your legal bills up to a certain limit as long as you were found not-guilty or the charges were dropped. This is the standard and if you find anyone to isure you it will be only if you are not convicted and after you have already spend all your savings and mortgaged everything to pay your lawyer. Insurance sounds good butread the fine print several times before you pull the trigger.

I guess when I am faced with being attacked I will pause and ask the B.G. to wait while I consult my insurance forms, local police and my lawyer. I think he'll understand that I have to check things out before I defend myself.:wacko: Face it your going to lose or going to win, and it is going to cost you either way. If I have to worry about the ramifications of protecting myself from harm then I guess I should rethink my stance on carrying a weapon......O.K. thought it over, I'm still carrying.

This includes any intentional act by any insured whether a criminal act or otherwise, where resulting injury or damage would be objectively expected to a high degree of likelihood..."

Shooting someone I would think would both be intentional and have a reasonable expectation of injury. .

Thanks Buddy, great point. We do carry to inflect harm and or death in protecting ourselves and or family. I believe this is why you don't find general policies out there against civil injury. As for an Attorney, Wolfunter said it best, find one and put him on your speed dial.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I guess when I am faced with being attacked I will pause and ask the B.G. to wait while I consult my insurance forms, local police and my lawyer. I think he'll understand that I have to check things out before I defend myself.:wacko: Face it your going to lose or going to win, and it is going to cost you either way. If I have to worry about the ramifications of protecting myself from harm then I guess I should rethink my stance on carrying a weapon......O.K. thought it over, I'm still carrying.

Thanks. That puts it in the proper perspective.

Buddy explained it best above. Insurance is for accidents and acts of nature. I would consider anyone who collects premiums for some sort of specific type CCW policy or rider suspect. I bet they could not be relied on to pay up if it comes down to that.

Curious to know the background and payout history of that CHL protection plan outfit. Cheesy web page, Paypal, looks like a scam to me.

And like FN1910 said, better read the fine print.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back