Concealed carry in National Forests in New Mexico

johnsonabq

For the life of me I can't find out if it's legal to carry concealed in New Mexico while in National Forests or Wilderness areas. I like to go hiking in the mountains outside of Albuquerque but have heard of mountain lion problems and would like to take my .357 with me.

Last edited:
I believe it is legal to carry in any national forest as long as it is legal for you to carry in that state.

I believe it is legal to carry in any national forest as long as it is legal for you to carry in that state.

DING DING DING we have a winner If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry in the park, if you dont you cant plain and simple

DING DING DING we have a winner If you have a concealed carry permit you can carry in the park, if you dont you cant plain and simple

I wasn't referring to National Parks, but to National Forests and Wilderness Areas. I believe Parks and Wildlife Refuges were opened up to carry by Dubya last year. I have determined that the state laws apply to these other federal lands. Just wanted to make sure the state didn't make exceptions to these areas.

Thanks, I would feel even better if I could find some sort of confirmation of this.

I found this with a google search. I am sure there is more if you search .

Link Removed
Page 1
Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.
Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National
Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased
gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized
general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant,
quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very
specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed
species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
firearms deer season.

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
primitive weapons season or chase only season.

People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as
they possess a concealed weapon permit.
Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within
the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to
handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of
intoxicants or narcotic drugs

Last edited:
I found this with a google search. I am sure there is more if you search .

Link Removed
Page 1
Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands
First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National
Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment
of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws
concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.
Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National
Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased
gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized
general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant,
quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very
specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed
species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National
Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general
firearms deer season.

The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit
to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle
while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a
primitive weapons season or chase only season.

People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as
they possess a concealed weapon permit.
Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within
the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.
Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to
handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of
intoxicants or narcotic drugs

Yes! That's what I was looking for. Thanks.
:dance3: :victory:

I was curious of this as well so I called the ranger station. Here's the basics of what I was told.

You may open carry in a national forest, concealed with a permit, but you may not carry, open or concealed, into a building that is part of the forestry as that is considered a federal building. However, carrying or not, it is still 100% illegal to discharge a firearm in a national forest. So essentially, have it all you want, just don't fire it. Silly really.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back