Concealed carry in gun shops

I completely diaagree. BG's have family and friends, especially if he's a gang member, and I don't want to be left empty-handed after shooting a perp.

" I don't want to be left empty-handed after shooting a perp"

What makes you think you are going to shoot one?

Definitely a great thread we have going here. We all have strong beliefs on this issue. The more I consider the guidelines for our gun shop I believe a simple sign stating "Please Keep Concealed Firearms Concealed" will suffice for most customers. As for how to address a loaded firearm, I'm still not sure how that sign will read yet.

This thread brings to light an important topic for customers especially. What is proper etiquette in a gun shop with a concealed/loaded gun? As a customer you should ask your local shops policy if you feel you need to take your gun out. Shop owners are not attacking the right to carry by asking you not to bring a firearm loaded in their store. It's deeper than that. They are protecting their customers and their tens maybe hundreds of thousands in inventory from potential theft. I can just picture a customer taking out their gun and another interpreting this as some type of aggression with a terrible result. I would encourage all customers to ask their local gun shop owners what their policy is? The point is to avoid all accidents.

They are protecting their customers and their tens maybe hundreds of thousands in inventory from potential theft. I can just picture a customer taking out their gun and another interpreting this as some type of aggression with a terrible result.
Yup, you got that one right.

When I was working behind the counter, I figured if somebody was going to rob the place while we were open, they were either going to come in shooting or were going to get in close and draw down on me. That's the way I'd do it if I was a criminal bound and determined to rob a gun shop during business hours. Even the dumbest meth or crack heads understand that if you are robbing a GUN shop, chances are folks that own it and work there not only have guns but they are handy, loaded and the folks know how to use them. I believe they realize that trying to rob an open gun shop like they were pulling a hold up at the local 7-11 was a quick way to get a toe tag and 6' of real estate that nobody could ever take away from you.

That kind of thinking can make you a bit leery (maybe even nervous) when a stranger comes in and surprises you when he pulls out a gun. It's best for ALL concerned if he makes his intentions clear before he does something like that. I agree with the idea that if you need to carry a gun into a shop, it needs to be unloaded and in a case instead of loaded on your hip if for no other reasons than to cut down on the misunderstandings. If I'd shot the guy in my previous post, I don't think there's not a jury in Alabama would have convicted me for a crime. He had a loaded gun in his hand that was concealed behind his back as he approached the counter at a fast walk and he hadn't made any of his intentions clear. I was alone in a gun shop with a couple hundred thousand dollars of inventory in it.

Strangers with guns didn't bother me. I see that on the range all the time. I was VERY observant when it came to how they were handling the guns. I even took a gun away from a guy or two when they were looking at items for sale and I ended up looking down the muzzle. (I always thought I was very restrained on those occasions, I didn't draw my gun, nobody had any broken bones and there was no blood spilled.) I don't care if I did just clear it before I handed it to him, you don't point guns at anything you ain't willing to shoot and you treat guns like they are loaded at all times. That means you don't point a gun at somebody unless you mean to shoot them and if you point a gun at me, I assume you mean me harm.

... As for how to address a loaded firearm, I'm still not sure how that sign will read yet...

Just a thought, not sure if any other shop does this, is it possible to create an "Clearing Station" in or outside of your shop? Maybe a small, protected (bullet and sound proofed and maybe security camera) cubical where you and/or a customer can walk into to properly unload their weapon if needed in order to try a new holster or whatever their needs are.
It would seem that it may limit liability even if a ND happens because the discharge would be confined to this station if a proper loaded guns policy is set and understood by your customers.
Take a look at the link below for a look at a clearing device that could be used in the cubicle. Again, just a thought.

Look at this---> Link Removed

At my local shop they know me by name and see me in there all the time. I still ask permission before doing so. I was in there today to see if the holster I asked the owners wife to order for me came in. As soon as I walked in she pointed at me and said "it's here". She brought it to me and as I always do, I asked if I could try the fit. She gave me permission to remove my weapon from my holster, make it safe and try the fit.

Since they own (or lease the) store and are liable for anything that happens there I treat it like it were someones home. If someone comes into my house and the discussion of firearms comes up and becomes a show and tell session I ask for the weapon and unload it and make it safe. I'm not inclined to allow people in my house armed. Most people that come to visit know I am.

Perhaps posting a policy and asking patrons to read it would be a good idea. If I were asked to read and understand the rules of the shop, I would have no issue with that. As the business owner you have the right to provide a safe environment for your valued patrons. Show and tell with live ammo is too risky.

Peace...

I agree with many of the other posters here.

The reason for gun shops demanding that people unload and case the firearms they bring in is because of too many people making mistakes. This of course burdens the rest of us who have common sense, restraint, and are responsible with the tools we carry with us.

As much as it pains me, I will not criticize those firearms dealers who post such a sign. It is indeed for those who are careless. I believe that I am not careless, but in this case I shall respect the request of a businessman who has considered the risks and requested that people obey certain protocols. (Caveat, There are many who also believe they are not careless, but fall short in many ways.)

This doesn't apply to malls, or other reactive gun-free zones. Those are stupid. The response to a very real and conspicuous risk by posting a store policy is understandable to me. Obvious threats are obvious, but mistakes are too easy to make if one is too comfortable.

The problem as I see it is these customers feel too comfortable in the friendly surroundings of a gun store. While they would never pull their weapon at the mall or in a restaurant (unless threatened) they feel they can at a gun store because the owner and other patrons are like-minded, freedom-loving gun enthusiasts. But even I get a bit nervous when people start pulling weapons and waving them around. Best to keep them holstered and concealed unless you need to use them.

A gun store without a bulllet hole in the wall hasn't been open very long. :fie: Some very good points in this thread and we all have to remember is that the majority of people walking into a gun store, even if they have a permit and are carrying concealed are not nearly as familiar with gun safety rules as most people posting on this board. You ask the average person about a sign such as keep your concealed weapon concealed you will find that the sign does not apply to them. If you call them on it they get mad and leave. :angry: Ther is a thread on another board about a manager of a business responding to a question about why they have a no guns allowed sign on the front door of the store. The manager decided to ban guns in the store when they found the third gun in the dressing room in less than two years. :mad: Yes they walk among us. :man_in_love:

This is what I do:

Hello usa carry community. My first post today. Im Paul, my son Nick and I have a small gun shop in Maine (Just 4 months now) and we are wondering how some of you veterans handle the concealed carry in the gun shop. What is the proper protocol for pulling out loaded firearms in the shop or not doing so. It's a bit unnerving to me.I know there are some folks that like to show their carry piece and even discuss trading them. Gun shop owners Please give me some of your thoughts on this one, Thanx

When I have the occasion to take a gun into a gun shop, for whatever reason, I always bring it in some kind of container, this can even be a paper bag. I lay the container on the counter and open it after Ive been asked,"how may I help you". I then explain what my business is. I let the clerk pick the gun up. It goes without saying that the gun is ALWAYS unloaded.
As for my concealed carry weapon for which I of course have a permit, it never comes out of concealment unless I would have the occasion to use it. [So far Ive never had to, thank God!] If for some reason, I can't imagine what, I would want to show my concealed carry weapon to the store clerk, I would first return to my car, unload the gun, and then return to the counter and present it to the clerk in the same manner as described above.

Every Gun Shop I have ever been to in FL has a sign that flat out says NO LOADED FIREARMS IN THE STORE. The only time it is allowed to be loaded is when you are on ON the range.

My understanding in FL you CWP is only good if their is no signage prohibiting firearms/weapons of course all that other schtuff about Fed Building, Banks, Post Office etc......

how about a clearing area. a 55 gal drum filled with sand mounted on an angle iron and a wide heavy duty pipe welded to the front. taek out your weapon, insert the barrel of your weapon just far enought down the pipe so you can safely unload it. same procedure if you want to re holster your weapon. This is for anyone that decides while they are in their they need to unholster their piece. Many different versions of a safey clearing area. Could be outside [in good weather} You could combine with other procedures outside on a sign. Just a suggestion.

While it would be nice if every gun owner out there was as cautious as myself, and from the sounds of it the members of this forum. I would be very nervous of someone pulling out a loaded weapon in a crowded area is nothing less than negligent. Any weapon being brought into the store that isn't going to stay holstered should be unloaded and either in a case or in a state that clearly demonstrates it's unloaded. I know at my gunshop back in Richmond, VT I'd walk in with my rifles with the bolt slid back and the stock tucked under my arm with the barrel pointed at the ground. Of course Richmond is a very rural area, the store never had more than two or three other people in the store and I knew the owner.

how about a clearing area. a 55 gal drum filled with sand mounted on an angle iron and a wide heavy duty pipe welded to the front. taek out your weapon, insert the barrel of your weapon just far enought down the pipe so you can safely unload it. same procedure if you want to re holster your weapon. This is for anyone that decides while they are in their they need to unholster their piece. Many different versions of a safey clearing area. Could be outside [in good weather} You could combine with other procedures outside on a sign. Just a suggestion.

The issue is that takes up a significant amount of space, and while it would minimize any disasters it doesn't protect against them. It's not that much work to unload your weapon at home or in the comfort of your own vehicle. Most gun stores I've been in are fairly small, and independently owned. Not really enough room to justify sacraficing that amount of space for a clearing area.

A gun store without a bulllet hole in the wall hasn't been open very long. :fie: Some very good points in this thread and we all have to remember is that the majority of people walking into a gun store, even if they have a permit and are carrying concealed are not nearly as familiar with gun safety rules as most people posting on this board. You ask the average person about a sign such as keep your concealed weapon concealed you will find that the sign does not apply to them. If you call them on it they get mad and leave. :angry: Ther is a thread on another board about a manager of a business responding to a question about why they have a no guns allowed sign on the front door of the store. The manager decided to ban guns in the store when they found the third gun in the dressing room in less than two years. :mad: Yes they walk among us. :man_in_love:

Left the gun in the dressing room huh. Sounds like one of those government Homeland Security officials hard at work :wacko:

There are two shops in my local area. One requires all weapons unloaded, and the other only requires holstered or in a case.
I frequent the holstered shop. What is the difference between a gun shop requiring weapons being unloaded and restaurants with no gun signs? I will spend my money elsewhere.

Gun shops do get robbed once in a while. I am uncomfortable with someone coming into a shop with a gun that is not in a case with the action open. For those with a holstered gun, leave it in the holster. Chances are the gun shop will have an identical gun that HAS been cleared. Also, CONSIDER HAVING ONE OR TWO METAL GARBAGE CANS FULL OF SAND in the store. Guns can be cleared with the muzzle pointed into the sand.

There was an event at a gun show where a vendor had a gun on his table that had a round in the chamber. He accidentally shot his friend because the vendor had not cleared it AND the shooter was sweeping everyone in the whole building. This also applies to gun shops- clear all guns, even ones in the display case. It's also easy for someone to come into the store with a loaded magazine only, ask to see a gun, load it, and rob the store with their own gun. Scary.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back