Concealed carry badges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldgrunt

Perhaps someone will soon market "I have a concealed carry Permit" T shirts.

There are many laws, but there is no legal limit to stupidity.

Wouldn't that be somewhat like wearing a bullseye and advertisng for someone to shoot you? Not too stealthy!

buckey01

As with most of the other posts, I do not want to be a cop. The only reason I have a carry permit is for the protection of me and my family. This may seem heartless but I feel absolutely no obligation to defend anyone else or their property. I certainly don't need a fake badge to make me target or attract attention. Open carry is legal in Iowa and I don't want that type of attention either. I know some people open carry and that doesn't bother me. I prefer my privacy and anonymity.

I should add that I would protect myself, my rights, and my country against tyranny. I believe this is self protection.

edelske

Wouldn't that be somewhat like wearing a bullseye and advertisng for someone to shoot you? Not too stealthy!

Excellent suggestion; when ordering the t-shirt the fool would have the option of words on the front and bullseye on the back or vica verca!

Firefighterchen

OC for Tactical Advantage

Excellent suggestion; when ordering the t-shirt the fool would have the option of words on the front and bullseye on the back or vica verca!

Perhaps someone will soon market "I have a concealed carry Permit" T shirts.

There are many laws, but there is no legal limit to stupidity.

Link Removed

I have not heard of any one wearing a shirt like this getting chosen as a victim...but keep pushing that fear mongering...it's working for the Brady campaign...why wouldn't it work for us...unsubstantiated fear, gotta love it...

MrXtramean

I've read through many post on this subject. I own a handgun and have recently gone through the CHL class. The reason for getting a permit varies from person to person. Business, pleasure, disability, family, home, etc. Here's a reason why I'm looking into buying a badge. It's the same reason I've thought about buying one of those fake "FBI" or "CSI" hoodies. My hobby puts me out in the public at all hours of the day. Sometimes very late and very early in the morning. I have been approached a few times by prostitutes, and "others" you don't want to turn your back on. My hobby takes my attention off my surroundings and I can't be focused 100% on who's walking up to me.

I'm not saying that I want to announce that I'm carrying a weapon, I want to announce a "QUESTION" to whomever might be thinking about walking up to me. I want the "bad and seedy" persons to avoid me. Regular folks probably would feel safer knowing that there's a "deterrent" for bad persons in the area. It's the same reason people "feel" safer when there's a security or police officer patrolling an area.

I don't want to pose as an officer, etc. And that's the "CON" side to this badge carry. I don't want "GOOD" persons coming up to me either asking me questions. But if I have a choice, I'd rather a "good" person vs a "bad" approach me. Their intentions are the key factor.

Which brings me to the point of why I'd carry a badge. A "bad" person might look and see a badge hanging from my neck and "KNOW" to stay away. A "BAD" person looks for signs that might get them caught. But the flip side is, you also become a target for that nut who thinks your a police "type" of officer. In my life, I see more pluses to wearing one when I'm doing my hobby. But for general everyday carry, the badge would probably not be needed.

It honestly depends on where and what you are doing. And why you need one.

XD40scinNC

It's a trinket and nothing more, really a badge, which has no authority? I can only see it as a look at me thing.

In any encounter I may have with a LEO, they are interested ONLY in my ID and CHP, and I really wonder what they would think of a badge, i.e. another wanna-be cop

JCliff

I've read through many post on this subject. I own a handgun and have recently gone through the CHL class. The reason for getting a permit varies from person to person. Business, pleasure, disability, family, home, etc. Here's a reason why I'm looking into buying a badge. It's the same reason I've thought about buying one of those fake "FBI" or "CSI" hoodies. My hobby puts me out in the public at all hours of the day. Sometimes very late and very early in the morning. I have been approached a few times by prostitutes, and "others" you don't want to turn your back on. My hobby takes my attention off my surroundings and I can't be focused 100% on who's walking up to me.

I'm not saying that I want to announce that I'm carrying a weapon, I want to announce a "QUESTION" to whomever might be thinking about walking up to me. I want the "bad and seedy" persons to avoid me. Regular folks probably would feel safer knowing that there's a "deterrent" for bad persons in the area. It's the same reason people "feel" safer when there's a security or police officer patrolling an area.

I don't want to pose as an officer, etc. And that's the "CON" side to this badge carry. I don't want "GOOD" persons coming up to me either asking me questions. But if I have a choice, I'd rather a "good" person vs a "bad" approach me. Their intentions are the key factor.

Which brings me to the point of why I'd carry a badge. A "bad" person might look and see a badge hanging from my neck and "KNOW" to stay away. A "BAD" person looks for signs that might get them caught. But the flip side is, you also become a target for that nut who thinks your a police "type" of officer. In my life, I see more pluses to wearing one when I'm doing my hobby. But for general everyday carry, the badge would probably not be needed.

Such a "badge" has no meaning or authority. It can only cause you trouble. Displaying such a device implies something, to any casual observer, that you definitely are not. The worst sort of posing. Any DA could make mincemeat of you over such a thing in the event of an incident. Foolishness, plain and simple.

BluesStringer

Les Brers
Wow! Jurassic Thread strikes again!

So, tell me again why someone who is "Xtra mean" would even need a gun, much less a fake badge to go with it? Link Removed

XD40scinNC

If I see an individual with "FBI" in large letters on their shirt/hoodie, I wonder why they choose to wear the logo of an agency with less than a stellar reputation. Now if I see a bunch of people with FBI or similar shirts, then something is going on, but then it would probably be on vests, not shirts.

An ICE or INS t-shirt might be handy if you need to go to the ER in the middle of the night. Probably cut your wait time considerably as many get up and leave.

S&W645

NRA Life Member
If I see an individual with "FBI" in large letters on their shirt/hoodie, I wonder why they choose to wear the logo of an agency with less than a stellar reputation. Now if I see a bunch of people with FBI or similar shirts, then something is going on, but then it would probably be on vests, not shirts.

An ICE or INS t-shirt might be handy if you need to go to the ER in the middle of the night. Probably cut your wait time considerably as many get up and leave.
CBP for the win.

JimPage

One good reason I can think of to wear a conealed carry badge is to make the bad guys laugh so hard they are rolling on the floor and unable to attack you. ;)

MrXtramean

Already the negative comments. I've had to pepper spray dogs, twice & call the police twice. We've had gang attacks where I go & last night someone shot/killed where I go . It's ugly out there. But carrying a gun won't deter an attacker unless they know you have one(gun). How many police are attack? Why not? Maybe because its against the law & they carry a badge & gun. How's the crime rate in liberal carry states? Low. Why? Because criminals have a deterrent where more people ccw. Why do people put alarm signs in their front yard & on their windows? It's called a deterrent. A gun on your side is the last thing you should ever have to grab unless you are going to kill someone. A deterrent . That's all we're taking about. Not playing cop. I personally don't like being poked with a stick by strangers in a park. But if they saw a small badge on my belt or around my neck, all I'm simply saying is, they'd probably not come up to me. And for maybe 3 hours a day, to have the piece of mind that I won't have to kill someone, I think a small metal deterrent is worth a life. Because the collateral repercussions of firing one shoot might lose you everything. Family, job, home.

If the badge is laughable, again I'd have to ask, would you go up to person wearing only a badge & then screw with them ? I know I wouldn't, because it might land me a night in jail or shot. Because I would think them to be a ”public” servant.

Just because you carry doesn't mean the sh!t won't hit the fan. I'm just trying prevent it from every flying my way.

BluesStringer

Les Brers
Look man, you raised a five year old thread from the grave, asked us what we thought, which turned out to be what pretty much everyone over the previous four years thought, and now you're whining because a few of us answered your question?

If you want to wear a badge, go ahead. It's about the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, but to each his own.

Blues

jcreek

Already the negative comments. I've had to pepper spray dogs, twice & call the police twice. We've had gang attacks where I go & last night someone shot/killed where I go . It's ugly out there. But carrying a gun won't deter an attacker unless they know you have one(gun). How many police are attack? Why not? Maybe because its against the law & they carry a badge & gun. How's the crime rate in liberal carry states? Low. Why? Because criminals have a deterrent where more people ccw. Why do people put alarm signs in their front yard & on their windows? It's called a deterrent. A gun on your side is the last thing you should ever have to grab unless you are going to kill someone. A deterrent . That's all we're taking about. Not playing cop. I personally don't like being poked with a stick by strangers in a park. But if they saw a small badge on my belt or around my neck, all I'm simply saying is, they'd probably not come up to me. And for maybe 3 hours a day, to have the piece of mind that I won't have to kill someone, I think a small metal deterrent is worth a life. Because the collateral repercussions of firing one shoot might lose you everything. Family, job, home.

If the badge is laughable, again I'd have to ask, would you go up to person wearing only a badge & then screw with them ? I know I wouldn't, because it might land me a night in jail or shot. Because I would think them to be a ”public” servant.

Just because you carry doesn't mean the sh!t won't hit the fan. I'm just trying prevent it from every flying my way.

If you really think a little piece of tin on your belt is going to stop sh!t from hitting the fan go right ahead. Carrying a fake badge as a deterrent is akin to carrying an empty gun. Best of luck to you.

wolf_fire

May we ask what sort of hobby puts you around prostitutes and involved with the public at wee hours in the morning?

wolf_fire

Why do you CC then... just open carry and let them know you actually do have a gun, whereas your idea is wearing a badge that doesn't mean anything. According to your defenses, this would deter the stuff from flying your way and you won't run the risk of having a run in with a real police officer who suspects you are impersonating one.

whodat2710

Plain and simple, a badge is for law enforcement. If you give every Tom, ****, and Harry a badge you will create problems. For one, people will start to question the veracity of a LEO's badge. Two, please refer to the "having a gun doesn't make you a LEO" thread, vigilante-ism would probably see an up-tick. Three, you've heard of people impersonating LEO for less than savory purposes like rape and car-jacking, would thiss increase as well?
-
I'm not googling every state, but I'll bet you a dollar that every concealed permit requires that you carry it while armed. Why do you think that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingston73