Concealed Carry a Rifle

caseyray1

Other than the typical response of "well of course you cannot concealed carry a rifle", I am curious as to what law you would be breaking if you did.

From what I can tell, all laws regarding conceal carry specifically state handguns, not rifles or long guns.

Unlawful carry of handgun doesn't apply. Because a rifle is not a handgun.

Carrying a concealed weapon charge specifically excludes shotguns and rifles in subsection C.

As far as I can tell you wouldn't even need a concealed weapons permit because those are also only required for carrying a handgun...

Anyone know what law you could possibly be breaking?

Other than the typical response of "well of course you cannot concealed carry a rifle", I am curious as to what law you would be breaking if you did.

From what I can tell, all laws regarding conceal carry specifically state handguns, not rifles or long guns.

Carrying a concealed weapon charge specifically excludes shotguns and rifles in subsection C.

As far as I can tell you wouldn't even need a concealed weapons permit because those are also only required for carrying a handgun...

As always, it all depends on your State or your Nation.

In the USA they (the SCOTUS) defer to the States.

My state does not allow concealed carry of long guns.

Long guns in my state must be encased and thus visible.

Title 23
SECTION 23-31-210.

"(5) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension "

In the state of South Carolina you would be breaking no law. Open carry of a long gun, or concealed carry if you could figure out how to do it, is entirely legal. Those of us who live in far less populated areas do it all the time with no problem. That being said, in less rural/more populated areas you could probably expect at a minimum to be harassed by your uneducated local LEO and at worst be caged on some trumped up charge. I understand that "going to the terror of the public" is/was popular. I suppose they may be "in fear for their life" and shoot you as well giving them reason to shoot you.

Now, before any of the local know-it-alls tell me I'm wrong, I'm willing to engage in intelligent conversation. But any responses had better start with a citation of whatever SC laws make it illegal to do so. Carry on.

Concealed Weapon Permits

SECTION 23-31-205. Name.

This article may be cited as the "Law Abiding Citizens Self-Defense Act of 1996".

HISTORY: 1996 Act No. 464, Section 1.

SECTION 23-31-210. Definitions.

Your post is a definition on what is considered a concealable weapon as it relates to the concealed weapon permit program.

The only thing I have seen with open carry / concealed carry of long guns is brandishment/display of a firearm and hunting without a license.
Brandishment was further defined under appeal to have to be "threatening" and not just open carrying.

During my CWP class I was told that at least for pistols , if you print too bad they will charge you with unlawful carry of a handgun

The only thing I have seen with open carry / concealed carry of long guns is brandishment/display of a firearm and hunting without a license.
Brandishment was further defined under appeal to have to be "threatening" and not just open carrying.

During my CWP class I was told that at least for pistols , if you print too bad they will charge you with unlawful carry of a handgun
You were told, unsurprisingly, wrong. Far too many instructors teach you what they think, not what the law says. You were most likely told some other fairly tales too. In South Carolina printing is not illegal. You may find a dickheaded cop who will harass you, you may even get charged, but once (if) you get to court all charges will be dropped.

Only way I could see them making any issue for printing is if it was so bad that any reasonable person could tell you had a gun.

CaseyRay1

There is no law that makes carrying a long gun illegal in South Carolina in the SC Code of Laws.

However, their is no law that also explicitly permits publicly open or conceal carry of a long gun.
Since there is no state supremacy there may be local city and county ordinances that limit/prohibits it.

There is also no law in South Carolina that explicitly permits pumping gas in public or buying apples at the local grocery store yet people do both all the time. Because in almost every instance that's not how laws work.

Even a devoutly anti-gun organization knows that except in three specific instances all local gun laws are preempted by state law. Those three instances are;

• Careless or negligent discharge of firearms;
  • Public brandishment of firearms; and
  • Public brandishment of firearms during times of insurrection, invasions, riots or natural disasters, or when there is a demonstrated potential for such events.

Note that open carry of long guns is not on the list. Once again we're dealing with what people think or what they want others to think. Not the facts. What a shame.

Local Authority to Regulate Firearms in South Carolina | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

Trollin' trollin, trollin. His finger tips are swollen. Gotta keep them posts a rollin'

Yep, and again either posting erroneous information about state laws he is completely ignorant of, or is so busy injecting his ignorance he doesn't even pay any attention to the fact he is asking what state when in the SC discussion area.

In the state of South Carolina you would be breaking no law. Open carry of a long gun, or concealed carry if you could figure out how to do it, is entirely legal. Those of us who live in far less populated areas do it all the time with no problem. That being said, in less rural/more populated areas you could probably expect at a minimum to be harassed by your uneducated local LEO and at worst be caged on some trumped up charge. I understand that "going to the terror of the public" is/was popular. I suppose they may be "in fear for their life" and shoot you as well giving them reason to shoot you.

Now, before any of the local know-it-alls tell me I'm wrong, I'm willing to engage in intelligent conversation. But any responses had better start with a citation of whatever SC laws make it illegal to do so. Carry on.

Where I live the State Legislature recently changed the law on open carry of long guns -- now these need to be encased -- not slung or held.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back