Conceal Carry?

cruzthepug

I finally got my carry permit yesterday. I had bought a Kimber Ultra Carry II to use as my CCW, along with a IWB High Noon Holsters Split Decision. I'm 6'3", 185lbs with a fairly slender build. I didn't think the Ultra Carry would be that had to conceal. I had been playing around with different positions and about 5 o'clock seemed to give me the best hide. Well, I took it out yesterday and it was not very comfortable, especially driving. What are some tips for finding the best carry position?

Side carry from anything from 3:00 or back while driving is uncomfortable. I've got scratches in my leather seat from the grip when wearing not tucked in a shirt. That plus it makes the weapon almost impossible to get to. My typical driving habit now has me unholstering when getting in the truck, re-holstering upon exit. Pretty easy to do using the open door as a visual sight block. Good luck, it will end up being an adjustment period as you learn WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

Hello cruzthepug, I have been carrying concealed now for about 12 years give or take also I am a CWP instructor in South Carolina. Don't give up on that gun yet. It will take some time and maybe different holsters to figure out what will work best for you in all situations. What might be comfortable and work in one situation might not work in a different situation. Myself personally I am not a big fan of IWB holsters cause your pants need to be slightly too big for it to be comfortable but thats just me. Hang in there it will all come together for you, you just have to experiment to see what works the best

Side carry from anything from 3:00 or back while driving is uncomfortable. I've got scratches in my leather seat from the grip when wearing not tucked in a shirt. That plus it makes the weapon almost impossible to get to. My typical driving habit now has me unholstering when getting in the truck, re-holstering upon exit. Pretty easy to do using the open door as a visual sight block. Good luck, it will end up being an adjustment period as you learn WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!

+1 with SkipJack on this one... while driving, I personally feel the optimal "carry" is not on your person. I do the exact same thing getting into and out of my truck, and even if someone were watching, it's smooth and quick and mostly hidden behind a giant, lifted truck door! :biggrin:

In the vehicle, depending on where I'm driving and for how long etc, I either tuck my handgun under my right thigh - driving through "rough neighborhoods" for example, or - I'd use a "cheapy" black nylon holster with velcro on one side to slide the gun into, and then velcro to that angled, carpeted chunk of floor that comes up over the transmission. That way it's easily accessible, not in the way, and not flying all over should I have to mash my brakes because most drivers in Arizona suck at driving.... :no:

On my person, I'm LOVING my new Crossbreeds snap slide (OWB), and at roughly 4 o'clock it's comfortable and concealed with even just a t-shirt over it. And that's a full-size Sig GSR 1911 tucked away nice and comfy like! It's a great rig.

Try out various placements, and you'll find the one that works for you. Your Kimber sounds nice! Congrats on your CCW - great to have you with us!

+1 with SkipJack on this one... while driving, I personally feel the optimal "carry" is not on your person. I do the exact same thing getting into and out of my truck, and even if someone were watching, it's smooth and quick and mostly hidden behind a giant, lifted truck door! :biggrin:

In the vehicle, depending on where I'm driving and for how long etc, I either tuck my handgun under my right thigh - driving through "rough neighborhoods" for example, or - I'd use a "cheapy" black nylon holster with velcro on one side to slide the gun into, and then velcro to that angled, carpeted chunk of floor that comes up over the transmission. That way it's easily accessible, not in the way, and not flying all over should I have to mash my brakes because most drivers in Arizona suck at driving.... :no:

On my person, I'm LOVING my new Crossbreeds snap slide (OWB), and at roughly 4 o'clock it's comfortable and concealed with even just a t-shirt over it. And that's a full-size Sig GSR 1911 tucked away nice and comfy like! It's a great rig.

Try out various placements, and you'll find the one that works for you. Your Kimber sounds nice! Congrats on your CCW - great to have you with us!

I have to agree. I carry IWB and I have admit the rig I am carrying is comfortable in the car. I had an anxious moment about a month ago and decided I wanted the gun where I could reach it easier. By the time I wormed around and got it out, the "danger" was past. When driving I now have it in a more accessible place - for my car between the seat and the center console. It fits perfectly there, but each car and gun are different.

Cruz. Just a suggestion but what about having one gun in a place u can get to it easily in the car - and a second that you actually "carry" without having to worry about needing to get to it quickly in that one specific situation?

Cruz. Just a suggestion but what about having one gun in a place u can get to it easily in the car - and a second that you actually "carry" without having to worry about needing to get to it quickly in that one specific situation?

I have started doing that. I have a gun in a bag between my seat and the (homemade) console in my van plus another gun carried on me.

Conceal Carry

Cruz...i carry an Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed Holster at my 4:00 and can't tell i'm wearing it when i drive. I wear this holster about 18 hours a day. i am 6'2 240. I hide the gun very well. Its all in the cant. The crossbreed cant is adjustable. It took me about 3 adjustments. My grip is just above the belt line. The Kimber is my favorite carry gun. I have a Sig P220 Carry and had an XD-9 which was too wide. Keep working it.

I got the Crossbreed Supertuck and have it about dialed in now. Very comfy to wear all day and to the post about having a second gun. I have also started keeping my Beretta 9000S in the glove box so it's handy.

new to ccw

going for my class this weekend to get my licens, want to learn all i can , i have a springfield xd 45 acp no holster yet , i take all the help i can get thanks

I have started doing that. I have a gun in a bag between my seat and the (homemade) console in my van plus another gun carried on me.

I like the idea if a dedicated car gun. Do you have a small gun safe to secure it when you are out of the car?

I like the idea if a dedicated car gun. Do you have a small gun safe to secure it when you are out of the car?

I do but I rarely use it. I make deliveries and am in and out of the van a lot. I built the safe into the bottom of the "console" that I built to go between the seats. I forget the brand of the safe but it is very heavy with a 5 point mechanical buttons and a settable combination. I used to carry several thousand dollars in cash with me (even before I got my CCW) and that is why I built the console with the safe.

I put the same model safe screwed into the back of the closet in my Camper. Any "valuables" that we carry go in there when we are leaving the camper.

I don't like the idea of needing to unholster and reholster my gun several times daily. Thats why I don't use some holsters and most carry styles. I prefer to be 100% concealed all day long, everywhere i go and in every activity that I do. Less holster play less chance of a A.D.
smart carry works well for me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back