Conceal Carry question

Silverado2010

I have my Class A and want to make sure I abide by the law. So here I am, This may be an odd question but butter to ask than assume.

What are the restrictions of carrying if riding a bicycle?
1) is it allowed?
2) must it be on my person or may it be in a bag that is secured to the bike frame within a few inches from me?

I have found a few sites that give me information but none of them are for Massachusetts.

If the weapon is strapped to your bike, what happens when your wreck or fall off your bike when a BEAR is chasing you??

If the weapon is strapped to your bike, what happens when your wreck or fall off your bike when a BEAR is chasing you??

Thank you for the reply. . .

However that does not answer my question at all... I am wondering if I am allowed to have my firearm with me secured to either myself or in a bag secured to the frame of my bike.

Simple answer would be, call your Massachusetts municipality license office and ask them... that way you will know the real law in your State. I would also note the name of the person who gives you that information.

Wrong answer would be, call your Massachusetts municipality license office and ask them... that way you will know the real law in your State. I would also note the name of the person who gives you that information.

If you are truly that concerned call a Lawyer licensed to practice in the Common Wealth of Massachusetts that specializes in Massachusetts gun laws and ask him

Since bicycles are not specified in any of the laws I found I would resort to the in your direct control part. Can't say for sure but I would think you would be fine legally until as stated erlier you crashed while being chased by a bear. Then you are not in direct control. I carry on my bike all the time. I use one of those belly band holsters but it is designed to be worn much higher on your torso. It is a little hot, but I can carry my phone, a spare mag and my little S&W bodyguard 380 under a tshirt and it is hidden.

Sent from my SM-N900V using USA Carry mobile app

Since bicycles are not specified in any of the laws I found I would resort to the in your direct control part. Can't say for sure but I would think you would be fine legally until as stated erlier you crashed while being chased by a bear. Then you are not in direct control. I carry on my bike all the time. I use one of those belly band holsters but it is designed to be worn much higher on your torso. It is a little hot, but I can carry my phone, a spare mag and my little S&W bodyguard 380 under a tshirt and it is hidden.

Sent from my SM-N900V using USA Carry mobile app

There is a difference...Strapped to the bike you loose control of the weapon in a wreck....strapped to your body you still have control of the weapon. It is ALWAYS better to have the weapon on your body.

I have my Class A and want to make sure I abide by the law. So here I am, This may be an odd question but butter to ask than assume.

What are the restrictions of carrying if riding a bicycle?
1) is it allowed?
2) must it be on my person or may it be in a bag that is secured to the bike frame within a few inches from me?

I have found a few sites that give me information but none of them are for Massachusetts.

With my MA. unrestricted class A LTC it allows me to conceal carry or open carry a loaded pistol anywhere in the state. 3 restrictions, schools, courthouses & federal buildings. It must be in your direct control. One might argue that being anywhere besides attached to your body is not under your direct control. Get a fanny pack holster. People might think your soft with a fanny pack but you're already a "biker" how much softer can you get. Do you dress like you're Lance Armstrong? JK. Don't let anyone in MA. Make you think You can't open carry either!!! I have a letter from my chief "Acton" that says I can open carry and he wouldn't revoke my LTC because I was open carrying in public. The only thing he said was its about 100% chance someone will call the police and report a man with a gun. The police WILL respond. The officers will validate my LTC and I'll be on my way. He said "although 100% legal, open carry in MA is not recommend." I think that's best case scenario... Worst case, police respond, force you to the ground at gunpoint, you get a knee in the back & cuffed, then.....after validating your LTC you will be on your way. I only open carry while hunting or hiking except during deer shotgun season.

As stated above it is certainly legal to carry on a bicycle if you are carrying it on your person. I would NOT carry a firearm attached to the bicycle as that leaves too much to interpretation as to whether it is in your direct control. As to open carry; MHas is correct in his statements but I would never open in public (ok while at a range or while hunting). Why inconvenience yourself with the almost certain delay of being stopped and questioned by the police? Why risk the "worst case" situation described above.

With my MA. unrestricted class A LTC it allows me to conceal carry or open carry a loaded pistol anywhere in the state. 3 restrictions, schools, courthouses & federal buildings...
Word of caution here - cities and towns have their own additional ordinances restricting carry. You should google city/town bylaws/regs for all the towns you expect to carry in. For example, Danvers, MA prohibits open carry on any property owned by the town. Many other towns prohibit firearms in cemeteries unless they are used by the military in a military burial. As far as I'm aware, the MGL does not contain a provision that relegates the regulating of the carrying of firearms solely to the purview of the commonwealth, unlike, say, PA, which has a clause in its Uniform Firearms Act that specifically denies towns and cities the ability to regulate firearms so as to deny a right that is given by the PA legislature. What I'm saying is you need to know federal, state AND local laws before you carry.

Massachusetts gun laws are strict. So I would suggest any non-license gun holder to get firearms safety training certification from any NRA certified institute. The apply for MA Multi State Firearms License. It will allow the license holder to carry the gun in 39 states without any problem.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back