conceal carry for non-citizen permanent resident

leonidch

i am Canadian citizen living in US with green card. i came to apply for a CCW permit and the lady told me that there is a Mississippi state law that only US citizens can conceal carry.
i looked up online a bit and saw that this is ongoing problem and sometimes bureaucrats just make it harder without any reason and some states do have such laws and some people successfully challenged their state law in court.
so my questions are:
1. can somebody in similar situation share your experience or send me some pointers please.
2. what are the states that do not have citizenship requirements?
3. if i get non-resident permit from the state that does not have citizenship requirement will it be valid in other states?
thanks a lot

well I can't speak for many states... but I know where I live in michigan a resident alien can get a ccw permit without being a citizen. I know there are actually quite a few states that offer the same.. I don't have a list of them unfortunately.

by the way welcome to the site!

If you're an alien ( non-citizen , permanent resident alien) , you can NOT carry in Massachusetts without permission from Mass officials
And they will not allow you to conceal carry, you can carry (locked in automobile ) to shooting competition etc..

Mass SUCKS big time

If you're an alien ( non-citizen , permanent resident alien) , you can NOT carry in Massachusetts without permission from Mass officials
And they will not allow you to conceal carry, you can carry (locked in automobile ) to shooting competition etc..

Mass SUCKS big time

And good luck getting a carry permit if you ARE a U.S. citizen. I would have loved one as I frequently worked nights and graveyard in Boston, but fuggetaboutit.

And good luck getting a carry permit if you ARE a U.S. citizen. I would have loved one as I frequently worked nights and graveyard in Boston, but fuggetaboutit.

Thats the truth! I know your pain. I have only a Class B LTC because they would not even let me apply for Class A LTC. Head to NH. They are much better!

I can not find any thing on it in NH. You would have to call the State police. But i do not think you can in NH but i am not sure call them up and ask.

I've heard that this might change.. but as of right now utah will issue a permit to any legal resident of any state including resident aliens. to get a utah permit you need to attend a class by a utah ccw instructor. might be the best way to go. and I think a non resident utah permit gives you 28 states you can legally carry in. good luck!

thanks.
say, if i carry in MS or any other state with non-citizen restriction and cops just want to check if i have a permit to carry i may be able to get away with Utah permit but if i have to use the gun which law do you think will take precedence in court - the one that allows me to carry with Utah permit or the one that doesn't allow me to carry in the state being non-citizen? i'm afraid not to my favor. not fair.

If you're legal to carry with your UT non-res permit, then you would be legal to use the weapon according to the self-defense guidelines of the state in which you use it. Legal advice on that topic wouldn't be a bad idea. (That's double-ggod advice in MS. The MS legislature once heard about the Law of Gravity. They weren't sure what it was, but they knew THEY didn't pass it. So they repealed it.)

I take it you are a naturalized Canadian citizen. How easy is it for an American to get a Canadian carry permit? How about your original country? (These are rhetorical questions.) Having a UT permit sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited:

Mass SUCKS big time

or for that matter if you are a citizen. And you should have referred to it as (Massa)chussetts.

If you're legal to carry with your UT non-res permit, then you would be legal to use the weapon according to the self-defense guidelines of the state in which you use it. Legal advice on that topic wouldn't be a bad idea. (That's double-ggod advice in MS. The MS legislature once heard about the Law of Gravity. They weren't sure what it was, but they knew THEY didn't pass it. So they repealed it.)

I take it you are a naturalized Canadian citizen. How easy is it for an American to get a Canadian carry permit? How about your original country? (These are rhetorical questions.) Having a UT permit sounds pretty good to me.

well, there will be conflict of the two laws - prohibiting and allowing ones; and i'm guessing (although i agree about the value of legal advice) that would be the judge's preference. hopefully i'll never be in that situation.
as far as carrying in Canada i never had a gun there, i've been studying the subject lately online but don't know enough to give a competent answer. simplistic answer would be that it's considered next to impossible but where there is a will there is a way...
I think Americans visiting canada can get the same PAL license as Canadians.
As far as Americans permanently living (!) in Canada they have the same rights as Canadians except to vote and be elected. It supposed to be the same in US for permanent residents (all rights the same except voting and electability) but i found many areas where it's not the case. I guess my point is that citizenship is a subject to the federal jurisdiction, not state one and states should not have laws that contradict federal laws.
thanks to all for the replies.

Last edited:
I'm a Canadian living in Canada and I just got my Maine CCW license in the mail today. It allows me to CCW in 12 States. It also lets me get a NH CCW license just by sending them a photocopy of my Maine license and paying $20. The NH license allows me to carry in an additional 8 States, one of which is Mississippi. Would that work for you?

I'm a Canadian living in Canada and I just got my Maine CCW license in the mail today. It allows me to CCW in 12 States. It also lets me get a NH CCW license just by sending them a photocopy of my Maine license and paying $20. The NH license allows me to carry in an additional 8 States, one of which is Mississippi. Would that work for you?

Welcome to USA Carry, Mercury0_0. I did not know that those states issued to noncitizens.

ConcealCarry

I just saw a DVD put out by a shooting training site called Front Sight. Part of what they are talking about is the gradual loss of our Second Amenedment Rights. To illustrate this, they interviewed citizens of other countries that have no equivalent to the 2A or have had their guns taken by the state. They interviewed a Brit, an Aussie, a Pole and a Canadian. Without exception, these people are students at Front Sight and are telling us Americans not to let the gun-grabbers do to us what was done to them. I would love to become a First Family member at Front Sight. They claim to have trained more students than all other shooting schools combin ed and that they offer training that is far above the military or law enforcement training. You might wish to check it out.

Only three states issue to non-residents. Maine, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. With Pennsylvania you have to send them some extra forms so I haven't bothered. If I start traveling to more States then I'll probably get that one too.

Only three states issue to non-residents. Maine, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania. With Pennsylvania you have to send them some extra forms so I haven't bothered. If I start traveling to more States then I'll probably get that one too.

You could include Indiana as one of those states, provided that you have a place of employment within the state. Furthermore, Indiana honors permits from every state and foreign country.

Non Resident CCW

You could include Indiana as one of those states, provided that you have a place of employment within the state. Furthermore, Indiana honors permits from every state and foreign country.

I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada.

I hold the valid CCW permits listed:

1) Utah CFP

2) Pennsylvania LTCF

3) New Hampshire Pistol Revolver License

4) Maine Non Resident Permit To Carry Concealed Firearms

Being a Canadian LEO may have given me the edge but I had no problems.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back