Compact 9mm

Rocketgeezer

Hi Guys, and Ladies, my wife and I are looking to buy a compact 9mm, for our grandaughter, I want something about the size of the LC9 or Keltech, maybe even the walther, but I did not really want to spend that kind of money, the problem is the ruger and keltech have absolutly horrible triggers, the walther has a nice trigger, but its $600:eek:, does anybody make one the general size and shape of the LC9 or Kelteck that have a halfway decent trigger, I also had a Taurus 709 it was ok, but not really what we wanted, and the DB-9 needs a little more work, and it really stings

Kel-Tecs have better triggers available. My P11 was "usable" before the lighter spring and trigger shoe - it's wonderful to shoot now.

I really like my Kahr CM9. Very compact and has a great trigger in my opinion. Got mine from Buds for $400 plus the transfer.

compact 9

Look at any pawn shop and you can find an inexpensive model of any one of those brands you listed.

You might take her to a range that rents guns. Let her have an input into the purchase. Guns are very individual. On a number of other threads people have advised against a husband deciding which gun a wife should carry. If your grand daughter doesn't like the feel of the weapon or the recoil she might not carry or practice as much.

I don't care what anyone says, Sccy CPX2. ~$240, safe, no FTF/FTE, and you could crap in the barrel and it'll still sling it down range. Buy two, you'll want one of your own.

I don't care what anyone says, Sccy CPX2. ~$240, safe, no FTF/FTE, and you could crap in the barrel and it'll still sling it down range. Buy two, you'll want one of your own.
Glad you got a good one, I had two, all I can say is they were the crap in the barrel

i would agree, Kahr CM9 would b a good way to go. i have a PM9 and love it. CM is more your price range, and Kahr makes good guns.

Ger her involved, tell her your price range, give her an opportunity to pick one. Most important, as others have recommended, get her to a range that rents guns and have her try a bunch of them. Don't get a fixation on a 9mm. It is entirely possible a .380 like an LCP, or P238, or Bodyguard, will meet her needs if it's a carry gun.

Is this for carry, for home defense, what? Unless she's a physically large girl she will have trouble hiding anything much bigger than P238 (which is a great gun and sometimes found right at the upper end of your price range). The P238 is a tiny .380 that shoots with the comfort and accuracy of a midsize gun. It would be carried. Bigger guns, probably not.

For home defense only a larger gun, like a G19, fits in your price range, and meets anybodies requirements if they like how it shoots, but is unlikely to be carried even though some folks carry one every day, it's big for a small frame girl.

Fitch

Sig revealed a new compact 9mm, the P938, at the 2012 SHOT show. It's very similar to the .380 P238. Looks promising! Link Removed

May look at the walther PK .380. Its easy to function and is the same basic size as the p .22. My wife loves it!

I think trying to pick a gun for a woman is as smart of an idea as picking her a bra. LOL! So I took my own advice when my wife wanted a conceal carry piece. Let her shoot the ones I had and a friend let us try a couple of others at the range. Turns out she fell head over heels for a S&W 3913.
Think the others are right in saying you should really let her decide what feels best to her.
As for the trigger on the LC9, I just put in a new hammer and trigger bar from Galloway Precision that cuts maybe a pound off the trigger and the travel in half.

From what you describe, I'd say the CM9. For something a little bigger, very flexible in terms of adjusting to hand size, with great ergonomics and performance, the M&P9c that someone else recommended would be ideal.

Is the recipient experienced? If not, she's probably not going to enjoy a small 9mm enough to become skilled with it.

Second the notion of her being involved and shooting a few options... and thinking beyond a compact 9mm since women do have more carry options. I carry the Keltec PF9. I love carrying it (size, weight) but do not really enjoy shooting it.

I have both a P238 and a S&W snubbie...love 'em both although they are completely different "styles." They both conceal easily in different types of outfit. And I'm really liking the look of the new Sig P938. But you've definitely got to get her something SHE is comfortable with or you just wasted a big chunk of change no matter which one you pick, cos she won;t carry it.

Hey she's your granddaughter aren't you supposed to spoil her? Spend a little more for something she will cherish for the rest of her life and last too like a Sig P938, Kimber Solo, Colt Defender, Springfield XDm, Kahr MK9 micro etc. Sorry jmo.

Exactly what m.ritz said, Kahr all the way. When the Ruger LCP came out it was an overnight sensation BUT many wanting a more powerful and less expensive (9mm), wanted a Kahr PM9. So IMO almost all gun manufacturers copied the Kahr with some changes. Get the original and best: PM9 if you can afford, CM9 to get under $500 or CW9 if you want to go a little larger.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back