Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights

Great choice of words to explain a lot of important points. Everyone should read this whether they carry or not.

Very good article, with the exception of the basic BS that is passed off as "fact" quoted below.

Carry how you wish and when you wish, someone else's idea of how you "should" carry should mean nothing and has nothing to do with the basic "common sense" theme. If you carry in such a way that it may be seen or you choose not to carry in certain circumstances, that is your choice and the dire consequences imagined by those who believe their way is THE should have no effect.

The first thing to remember is concealed means concealed. If you are carrying a concealed weapon that means you should be the only one who knows you are carrying it. In some jurisdictions failure to properly conceal your firearm is a crime and can result in some stiff penalties. Flashing or displaying your weapon in any way defeats the entire purpose of concealed carry. The reason for carrying a weapon is self-defense, by carrying a weapon you are accepting the responsibility for you own safety and the safety of your love ones.

...When you fail to conceal your weapon it limits your options and can make you a target. If you are spotted by one of the local gun hating democrat soccer moms then you are a target for her scorn and possibly the local police if she calls to report a man with a gun. On the other hand, if a criminal hell-bent on committing a crime spots your weapon you are now an obstacle that can complicate his plans thus a target. If you are properly carrying a concealed weapon and the situation justifies it you have the ability to act to protect a life, however if the situation does not justify you taking action you can remain concealed and become the best witness possible

I, HOTTI have another goal besides mere survival. I intend to maintain my HONOR, and I'm not letting some scumbag push me or mine around. I'll TAKE the risk that when I simply leave the scene, with my attacker AND his friends shot dead, that I MIGHT have to justify it later, in court, as vs the GUARANTEE of lots of problems if I hang around. :) Who, me? I just shut my eyes and ran, I have no idea what happneed there. I've been in Asia for the past year, sir!

The argument about going concealed vs open is one of the oldest arguments around. There are people who will OC because "By God it's my right and there's no one who's gonna tell me any different". There are those who will agree with the article writer because they believe in the Teddy Roosevelt theorem of "Walk softly, and carry a big stick". IMO people need to be cognizant(sic) of a couple very pertinent facts. Snipers are concealed, quiet, and extremely deadly. Why? Because no one knows they are there until it's too late. Being quiet and concealed will give you a HUGE tactical advantage in a self-defense situation. If the bad guy knows you have a gun and Lord forbid Murphy decides to "accidentally" glue your gun to your holster, the time you waste trying to fumble that thing out will get you killed, because the art of surprise is GONE. If the bad guy doesn't have the faintest clue you are packing you have the advantage of surprise and that extra 1/2 second will keep your butt alive to fight another day. I see more and more people these days that are so brash with their desire to show the entire world that they are packing and if you don't like it you can just shove it in your a$$. Personally, I have to agree with the article writer that sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. You can fight the bleeding hearts in congress and in government just fine without pissing off the general public in the process by being a billy bada$$. Now before everyone gets all uppity, let me be perfectly clear. I'm not in anyway shape or form denigrating those who OC. I OC myself REGULARLY. I have also applied for CCW permits because I would like to be able to go concealed when the conditions favor going concealed. All I'm advocating is that people use common sense and not give the anti-gun agenda any more fodder to use against us, and use good sound tactics that will keep you upright and alive.

I"m actually in the Midwest, and you are a wussy, to be worried about me and my attitude about defensive shooting and the law.

....There are those who will agree with the article writer because they believe in the Teddy Roosevelt theorem of "Walk softly, and carry a big stick". IMO people need to be cognizant(sic) of a couple very pertinent facts. Snipers are concealed, quiet, and extremely deadly. Why? Because no one knows they are there until it's too late. .....
The reason snipers succeed is because while they may be concealed, their gun is not. It is out and tracking the target.

Comparing snipers to concealed carry and self defense? Really? REALLY?!?

So, let's see, I am going to hide in an obscure location with a high powered rifle fitted with a high magnification scope and wait until I observe a criminal committing a criminal act, and then I am going to use different objects around the target to estimate the wind velocity and direction, and compare the criminal's distance to mapped objects on my range chart to determine distance to target, using my mil-dot reticle to account for distance and wind adjustments and squeeze a round off, hitting the criminal in the middle of his forehead.

Wow, you are correct.... I've been carrying for self defense in entirely the wrong way this whole time.

Well good you are still a long way away from me....You don't scare me it's your gun pulling happy mentality.

Hey Kaymen: As others have said, I also appreciate your comments--thoughtful and well said. Having said that, my first thought as I read the thread is the fact that if you are a forum member, are CCW ready, and are reading this thread and are learning something from it, you scare me---how you could have made a decision to purchase a firearm, take a course and walk around with the potential to kill someone without having thought out what Kaymen has said--shame on you. It was alluded to somewhat at the end of Kaymen's comments but first and foremost in my way of thinking, is situational awareness. The best "common sense" is to never put yourself in a position where all the other factors come into play and always plan to minimize or eliminate the potential for an escalated situation. Always "what if" but discretion about where you go, when you go and what you are doing will eliminate almost all potential situations.

The reason snipers succeed is because while they may be concealed, their gun is not. It is out and tracking the target.

Agreed, however does the intended target ever see said weapon? No. If they do then A) the sniper is a very poor one and/or B) a soon to be very DEAD one....LOL

NAVYLCDR - You've taken an purely METAPHORICAL EXAMPLE that was only stated for a comparison of why sometimes carrying concealed is a better option and taken it WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY out into left field. I'm not going to even ATTEMPT to get you back on course because it would take way too much wasted time and effort. Oy vey.

it was alluded to somewhat at the end of kaymen's comments but first and foremost in my way of thinking, is situational awareness. The best "common sense" is to never put yourself in a position where all the other factors come into play and always plan to minimize or eliminate the potential for an escalated situation. Always "what if" but discretion about where you go, when you go and what you are doing will eliminate almost all potential situations.

agreed 100000000%.

Originally Posted by kelcarry
"it was alluded to somewhat at the end of kaymen's comments but first and foremost in my way of thinking, is situational awareness. The best "common sense" is to never put yourself in a position where all the other factors come into play and always plan to minimize or eliminate the potential for an escalated situation. Always "what if" but discretion about where you go, when you go and what you are doing will eliminate almost all potential situations."

agreed 100000000%.

Right on!

Fitch

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back