Come on Ladies

molonlabe

I am looking for suggestions as to how to get my wife and adult daughters interested in shooting, and out to the range for lessons. Help! So far they are resistant but not "OH MY GOD-NOO WAY!
Thanks

I don't know how old they are but I invited my 25 year old daughter and her boyfriend to go with me to the range after we had had dinner at a restaurant together a few weeks ago. She didn't really want to go and said that she had college homework that she really needed to be working on. I said "OK Baby Girl, I understand." But of course, he was all for it and he was pleading her to go. LOL So he wound up dragging her there for me and once I put my semi-auto in her hands and got her to start shooting, she was hooked. Now she's like, "Daddy, can I pleeeeese have a gun for Christmas?"

I bought my wife a new gun...now she wants to go to the gun show today...darn...

she goes to he first 'all women' training class in 2 days. didn't take much. she was afraid of my guns last week.

Start off small and controlled with them, take the time to teach and foster a genuine interest. And never be overbearing. They will realize how much fun it is and after a trip or 2 to the range they will be begging you to go.

Just get them to go even once and make sure they use a gun that's easy to shoot. I went for my first time during the spring and now I'm HOOKED!

I am looking for suggestions as to how to get my wife and adult daughters interested in shooting, and out to the range for lessons. Help! So far they are resistant but not "OH MY GOD-NOO WAY!
Thanks

I am guessing that you are just trying to be an overprotective father over your daughters.

Find them a really great husband each, and that should be plenty.

Not everyone has the will to kill someone, which is what it takes to wield a weapon.

Even Leonidas would tell you that much.

I have three daughters aged 14-20 and two boys 12 and 21.

My middle daughter was very reserved (practically hoplophobic) until I got her to the range. 22's only at first. Let them understand the mechanics, safety and fun. If you have access to a range; use bottles filled with water as shooting paper can get boring. She really loves it now, has gone to two appleseed shoots and was upset when we didn't go to the Knob Creek machine gun shoot.

I believe that it is important for women to learn to defend themselves. I would even argue that it is more important that boys. If someone attacks one of my sons, they are probably looking for his wallet or cell phone. If someone is attacking one of my daughters.... I can't be everywhere and neither will there husbands.

I would also invest in some quality training both with and without weapons. There is a class called IMPACT that I really like. I believe they are nationwide.

Take them to a big box gun store where there is plenty to look at and plenty of room. Maybe ask them their opinions of the different gun styles. Show them the lasers, wooden grips, etc, and of course show them the accessories, holsters, range bags, safes, glasses, Etc. Make it all about the shopping!
When I was looking, (I'm a mom), my 11 and 16 yr old daughters wanted to hold the guns I looked at. Also, I love my small neighborhood range, but the cramped quarters scared my kids. We took the kids to the big box gun store with range and they had a blast and were more at ease there. Now they want to go to the range with me. Gradually I will ease them into the smaller range(cheaper and closer to home).

The way my wife got interested is that I would leave my handgun on the end table in between us while watching TV. She would be naturally curious and I would noticed her looking at it. I also knew, any conversation initiated by me would make her clam up. At times she would ask what this feature or that feature was on the gun. Each time, I overemphasized the safety of unloading the gun and showing her it was unloaded before I answered her question about the particular component of the firearm she pointed out. When the question was answered to her satisfaction, I loaded the weapon and placed it back on the end table. It took a long time, but eventually I was able to ask without her being defensive whether she'd like to shoot it one day and I also recommended she should know how to shoot in case I'm incapacitated and she needed to be able to use it. Finally, she saw the reason of that statement (though I had made it many times before). Instead of going out with me, she surprised me, and called the "Girls and Guns" class that I had mentioned to her at one time and she enrolled herself in it. I thoroughly recommend this course for any female getting started in firearms. It's sponsored by the NRA. Today she is an excellent shot.

In my wife's case, I believe she always knew she needed to learn, but it had to be on her time line and not mine. Be patient... they'll come around.

Maybe start them off shooting clays.
That's addictive, and once they are hooked on that pistol and rifle aren't far behind.

I coach a team of 9-16 year olds. Got a couple of young ladies that shoot the pants off the guys.

I have developed additional material for my handgun and self defense classes that especially appeal to other women. Long ago, I had to shoot a man to save my life. The story of that incident is the first chapter of the book that class material has morphed into. You can see that story here: Link Removed

I will be glad to send a copy of the book, "I Am NOT A Victim" to anyone who writes to me and asks for it. No charge.
mamaliberty - at - rtconnect - dot - net Just replace the at and dot with the proper symbols and no spaces...

Getting women to defend themselves requires far more than familiarity with a gun. The absolute will to live, and the understanding that their lives (and that of their loved ones) are far more important than the idiot conditioning against self defense they have, no doubt, been flooded with all through school.

They must decide, for themselves, that they REFUSE to be a helpless victim. The book will take them through the reasons for this, and the steps they need to take to make it so.

I found that when I started shooting I started with the Ruger LCR and it kind of scared me because of the recoil and noise. I moved on to a S&W 9M&PC and loved that one even though I shot the 38 better. I think it is best to start off with something that doesn't turn them off first thing. My thoughts are a 22 is too light and they won't like anything else after shooting that. To me the 9mm is easy to shoot, cheap to shoot and not too bad to conceal. Look into the ammo you let them shoot and don't put something in the chamber that will scare the heck out of them. I think if given the chance and not intimidated at the first shooting they will have fun. I am 63 and wanted to be able to protect myself after my husband passed away. I am not afraid and that was one of the big selling points with learning to shoot. 38 on night stand and 9MM on chest of drawers and 380 in pocket book or on my side. I can and do carry any of them.

On the Saturday after Thanksgiving, my sister from Idaho and I (from Utah) arranged time at the local range for our relatives. Many are from California and haven't had much, if any, opportunity to go shooting. We're scattered among the Western and Southern states and one from the Eastern coast. 22 of us went to the range. (The rest who didn't go did other things.)

It was fun for half of us who are experienced with guns to help the unexperienced half realize how fun shooting can be and to see the defensive benefits.

I think the ladies seem to enjoy this more and are considering the possibility of getting their own guns someday.

I've heard positive things from everyone who went that they really enjoyed the experience. Almost all of them who went expressed a desire to make shooting time together an annual event at our future reunions.

Start them out with a 22 semi-automatic. They will love it!

Maybe at first, but dont be to sure, that's what I thought with my grandaughter, was 14 at the time, we purposly kept a little walther p-22 for her to shoot, at her very first day at the range, she ran a couple of mags out of the walther, and that was enough of that, she wanted to shoot grandpa's gun, Springfield 1911, she has progressed into everthing I have, including all the 45s 9mms and 40s 357 mag and a Desert Eagle, last weekend I picked up a S&W 500 Mag, I am impressed, she gets to shoot this sat, will post back

A few years ago, my husband was due to deploy out. He literally made me purchase my first gun, as we live close enough to Detroit...we went to the range and I fell in love....I love it!!! I go to the range all the time with my husband and we take our son to an outdoor range and shoot all day as a family... Great for your wife to go and take her class...since then, I have gotten my CCW and carry all the time!!!

Start them out with a 22 semi-automatic. They will love it!

VENTING: You might as well give her an airsoft to shoot with, why is a .22 always the first suggestion, it is not a good defensive weapon?!

IN MY OPINION: First I'd find out why they don't want to. It might be something as simple as they are worried they are going to break a nail, they don't have the same enthusiasm as you do (over enthusiasm is a kill-joy for those who are on the fence), or are unsure about getting into a male dominated sport.... regardless of the reason why it's a good place to start. Second give them the option of shooting any and everything you have. Smaller guns tend to feel to much like a toy (personal opinion) while Larger handguns are more comfortable to hold even if they do get heavy (bring a rest), and some guns/rounds may feel too snappy for them (I hate .38). It may turn out they love a .22 but the point is giving them more options will help them discover what they truly love to shoot. After that get another female shooter involved, it's may be easier for them to relate to her, and schedule a ladies day at the range. Shooting at paper targets may get boring so bring a variety of things as targets just in case.

Bottom line is make their first time enjoyable. DO NOT pull stunts on them the first day out unless you want them to become anti-gun (ie: letting her get smacked in the face with the gun/scope because it would be funny to see instead of correcting the error). Ultimately, shooting and gun ownership has to be relevant to their lives (ie: "I won't always be here to protect you and I want to know you will be able to protect yourself if someone were to come after you or the kids") because being a gun owner is a life altering decision.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back