Combination of CCW Permits

sigman26

Hey everyone,
Just wanted to know what would be the best combination of CCW permits to obtain. I am a NYS resident and have a NY, PA, and applying for a NH permit. Which other states would everyone recommend?? Thanks

Here's what I preach since I travel and have broad spectrum coverage myself.

• 21 or over
    (Declared) State of residency first (if possible), UT, NH, FL (if needed) then any additional States you may need.

• 21 or over, no issue State (IL or WI)
    PA first, NH, UT, FL then any additional States you may need.

• 18 to under 21
    (Declared) State of residency (if they issue at 18), ND, NH and ME (if needed).
    At 21 do not renew ND if you're not a ND resident, get UT, FL (if needed) and any additional States you may need.
Be sure to get your UT certified instruction from someone who can also sign off on FL and any other States you may need. This means you should be taught by an NRA certified instructor. CT and VA have a spot on their app for NRA instructor number. I have been told that FL is starting to look for NRA instructor numbers on training certificates.

Last edited:
I also have a NYS CCW. I have just applied for the Florida non resident CCW and will shortly apply for the Utah non resident CCW. with those licenses you are good to go in as many States as you can be. There are still some that you cannot. Check the recipprocity map on this site and you will have all the info you need.

Get it while you can. There's a bill in the Utah state legislature to outlaw non-resident Utah instructors. There is little opposition in legislature for it. Once the bill is signed into law you will have to travel to Utah to get a Utah CFP.

Hmmm...I've had a non-resident Utah permit for a few years now. If they outlaw non-resident instructors, will they grandfather in prior non-resident CFP holders, or will you have to travel to UT to re-new, also? Info is appreciated. Thanks.

Hmmm...I've had a non-resident Utah permit for a few years now. If they outlaw non-resident instructors, will they grandfather in prior non-resident CFP holders, or will you have to travel to UT to re-new, also? Info is appreciated. Thanks.
Utah does not require renewal training, only training for the initial application.

HB204 only affects non-resident instructors. It does not affect Utah CFP holders. There's a separate bill for outlawing non-resident Utah CFP holders which has little to no chance of passing. If you have a non-resident Utah CFP you will not be affected by this bill.

It's only non-resident instructors that are getting thrown under the bus. The Utah pro-RKBA organizations claim that several States are considering canceling reciprocity with Utah because of the practices of 30 out of 1000 instructors The ratio of non-resident to resident instructors is 2:1. A majority of the the bad apples are non-resident instructors. Utah BCI and the Utah pro-RKBA organizations have not produced any credible evidence publicly to substantiate this. I have made inquiries to this as well as Brian Judy who is the Utah State Liaison for the NRA. Those inquiries have fallen on blind eyes via e-mail.

If you are a present non-resident Utah CFP instructor you can continue certify students until HB204 becomes law which is most likely July 1, 2009 if it passes or whenever your certification expires whichever comes first. HB204 as it is written will immediately invalidate all presently certified non-resident Utah CFP instructors which should be no sooner than July 1, 2009 per W. Clark Aposhian who is the chair of the Utah civilian CCW board and other key Utah firearm organizations plus is a Utah CFP instructor himself.

I'm Utah instructor certified until May 1, 2009. Unless HB204 passes and is signed into law before that time, I can continue to teach and certify Utah applicants until my certification expires. Because of HB204 I have elected not to renew my instructor certification. If by chance HB204 does not pass, I will then reapply as a Utah CFP instructor. It's highly unlikely it won't pass because of the support it has.

If travel to Utah is not feasible for you for their CFP, I suggest you enroll in a class now in your area or arrange to have a mobile instructor travel to your area. If not then there's a high probability you'll have to travel to Utah to get the required instruction for a Utah CFP.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,
Just wanted to know what would be the best combination of CCW permits to obtain. I am a NYS resident and have a NY, PA, and applying for a NH permit. Which other states would everyone recommend?? Thanks

Our forum has an interactive map generator to show what states permit you to concealed based on your home state and any nonresident licenses you might have. It is located under the resourses button in the upper left corner of this page.

That was the resource I used in planning my permit strategy.

Update on license/permit combinationi

Hey everyone,

Utah

It's been awhile since I've posted here. Obviously Utah HB204 failed. I just had my last UT CFP instructor renewal last spring. Utah presently has no intention of removing the non-resident instructor program.

Nevada

Nevada has changed the recognition requirement to the following;

• Any statutory training requirement.
  • The recognized State must provide 7/24/365.25 online verification via NLETS.
  • The Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association has no say in if a State makes the list. Either they meet the two statutory criteria or they don't. There is no longer a statutory requirement that the issuance and training requirements be substantially similar to greater to Nevada's.
I have opened up a dialogue with the Nevada DPS Records and Technology Division. According to them Florida and Utah no longer provide 7/24 online verification of their respective license or permit. I find that hard to believe. I have let the authorities in Florida and Utah know this is the reason given to me as to why they weren't put back on the Nevada recognition list this past summer.

Presently the best and only non-resident option if you wish to legally CCW in Nevada is Arizona. Arizona has made their training requirements more liberal similar to Florida. NRA or Utah instruction should satisfy issuance of an AZ permit. The only reason to obtain a Nevada CFP now is if you live in Nevada or wish to have the NICS exemption which applies to Nevada CFPs issued on or after July 1, 2011. The AZ permit is less expensive plus you can apply for it via US Mail. Do not waste your money on a Nevada CFP if you are just a Nevada visitor.

North Dakota

All North Dakota instruction and testing must take place in North Dakota, even for the class 2 permit that is issued at 18 and only requires a written test. If you're 18 to under 21, you need to go to North Dakota to get a North Dakota permit.

Pennsylvania

PA Attorney General Kane has eliminated non-resident recognition and reciprocity. The PA legislature didn't have enough vertebrae or big enough package to change the law and spay PA AG Kane. I had to get a non-resident PA LTC for my trip to the Great American Outdoor Show iast February. I obtained mine through the Adams County Sheriff's Office in Gettysburg. They will take the application via mail and mail you back an approval letter. It takes about 4 weeks, I got mine in a little over three. The approval letter arrived two days before my flight left for Philly. I picked it the day after I arrive in Philly.

Oregon

Grant County Sheriff Palmer has suspended the non-resident program for his county. Grant County use to be shall issue for non-resident Oregon CHLs. It is possible that it will be reinstated but as of today you will have to go to another county in Oregon that will issue to non-residents. It is also possible that Oregon will finally pass a recognition or reciprocity statute in the near future before my Oregon CHL expires in June of 2018. Sheriff Palmer presently has no intention of revoking the presently issued Oregon CHLs that are presently in good standing. Note to qualify for a non-resident Oregon CHL you must resident in a State that physically borders Oregon (CA, ID, NV or WA) or own property in Oregon. For additional information on the best counties please contact the Oregon Firearms Federation. The respective county's non-resident policy varies with who is (acting) Sheriff of the county.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back