Colt Lightweight Commander 04860XSE

bluper

What type of safety features does the Colt Lightweight Commander 04860XSE provide. Will the hammer fall from the half cock position when the trigger is pulled like the 80 series?
And is it safe to carry a round in the chamber with the hammer down?
I'm new to the 1911s, but i would like to purchase a good 4 1/4 barrel with the gov frame, that is safe to carry concealed.

Why are you so concerned with the half-cock notch? No 1911 should be carried from half-cock, as it is NOT a "half-cock"! The notch you speak of is there simply for safety. It is designed to catch the sear on that notch if the full-cock notch slips, therefore not firing the weapon. You WILL (I repeat WILL) eventually screw up your hammer/sear engagement surface if you carry it on the first notch. Some 1911s don't even have a secondary notch just for this reason- people screwing up sears by thinking that it is a half cock notch when it isn't.

Any real 1911 is going to operate the same way- when the safety is down the hammer will fall when the trigger is depressed. The safety will not engage while the hammer is down by design as it is not needed- once the hammer is down, it is resting on your firing pin. Hitting the hammer at this point (dropping the gun) can cause it to fire a chambered round regardless of the safety system. Series 80, Swartz, etc.. I would not trust these dinky "excuses" for a drop safety to someone else's life if an ND were to occur! And as already stated in your other thread, cocking that hammer back would be a real chore in a real-life, quick draw situation. You're better off carrying a 1911 on an empty chamber and practicing "Israeli draw"... Its a lot easier to grab the slide and rack it with your entire hand in an emergency, than it is trying to cock a tiny little hammer with a giant beavertail in the way.

I'd say look into some of the Paras that are double action, but they get spotty reviews...

How about the high power 9mm's. I messed with one a while back and it was pretty sweet. It was an off beat feg i think, but it had a smooth trigger pull / reset, and a setting that held the hammer off the firing pen while it was down along with a half cock position and the safety could be set while the hammer was down. And when that safety was on that hammer was not moving.

But back on the 1911s...i have never owned or shot one, but i'm dying to get one. I have always loved colts. I was just wondering if it would be a good off duty carry gun.
I guess i could consider it like the rem 870 shot gun on cruiser safe. I could just grab the 1911 out of the glove box and rack one in the chamber...lol
But no i carry a nine and the 45 just seems like it would be more fun and most of the new 1911's are very sexy and that colt had some of the new looks right out of the box and it didn't seem like it would brake the bank.

I really just don't understand why you wouldn't carry one cocked and locked. There is plenty of info out there to discredit any officer charging you with "improper carry". I'm sure it is legal to carry any single action automatic that has a safety, no? If so, then what is the difference between a single action that has a hammer and one that doesn't? Nothing. People just think it is unsafe because they can visibly see the hammer cocked back, rather than a striker-fired single action with a safety where one would be none the wiser.

If you want a 1911 (who doesn't? I was addicted after my first one), just carry it cocked and locked. They are safer than any other single action handgun out there because they have a grip safety, thumb safety, and the "firing pin" safety as well. Any other single action only automatic is just going to have a thumb safety.

Let me say this. The safest way to carry any 1911 design is cocked and locked or with an empty chamber. I do suggest that those who carry cocked and locked do so only after lots of practice with a 1911 pistol, and that they carry only that style/design when doing so. I have seen several guys who carried standard DA pistols, forget to throw down the thumb safety when drawing the SA 1911 pistol. Not a good mistake to make and under stress, what you practice and how you practice WILL come back to haunt you. If you do carry a 1911 cocked and locked; it will take practice and concentration on that particular mode and design. I carry 1911 pistols regularly, but occassionally will carry a Glock while traveling far from home, strictly for the capacity and having several extra mags, gives me plenty of ammo when I'm away. I will take the glocks out on the range and refocus my mindset to the Glock and concentrate on what I carry daily. I do the same when I "transition" back to my 1911's. I've learned to do it over the years, by recognizing what is in my hand when I draw it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back