Colt Firearms, Anti-Gun?

Landavazoaj

I'm shopping around for a new pistol and wanted to take a look at Colt 1911's. Perhaps I'm the last to know, but if not I think many of you may find it interesting that Colt does not have a website for civillians. It has Colt- Law Enforcement, Colt Military, and Colt Private Security (Blackwater).

So, I thought i'd look at one of my favorite online gun stores ImpactGuns.com where I found the following statement:

A note about Colt products: Colt has such a good reputation earned over many decades, that we are obligated to offer their products. If not for such good will, most dealers would simply avoid anything with them name COLT.Why? Mostly because of the attitude at Colt to prevent law abiding citizens from owning Colt firearms in legal configurations. We have to ask- "Who is running Colt, and what is the company mission?"
So, we sell Colt firearms when we can get them. You as a buyer will have a firearm with a lifetime service agreement, and the prospect of future appreciation due to the silly company policies at Colt headquarters.

Anyone that can elaborate further it would be greatly appreciated.

W

wolfhunter

Don't know what Impact Guns was referring to, but here's Colt's website: Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

I found this statement on their News page, "November 4, 2002
Colt splits in two companies
Effective November 4, 2002, Colt completed reorganizing its operations into separate military and commercial businesses. As a result Colt Defense, LLC was established to conduct the business of manufacturing and selling military products while Colt’s Manufacturing Company, Inc. will continue to manufacture and sell commercial products. The ultimate goal of this reorganization is to better position and equip each business to compete in it’s own marketplace."

DocBoCook

Not Negotiable, A Right
I thought you just meant the Price when I read the title. I dunno about what kind of legal configurations are you talking about?

astute

I'm shopping around for a new pistol and wanted to take a look at Colt 1911's. Perhaps I'm the last to know, but if not I think many of you may find it interesting that Colt does not have a website for civillians. It has Colt- Law Enforcement, Colt Military, and Colt Private Security (Blackwater).

Anyone that can elaborate further it would be greatly appreciated.

Think you might be wrong. While Colt did drop a lot of models from their civilian line because of economics and government contracts, they still have a civilian line of guns. Check out

Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

Landavazoaj

Hmm, that is odd especially since being told something similar at a gun store here in New Mexico. When I asked about Colt the clerk kind of rolled his eyes and said they make great guns but he'd hope that i'd patronize a manufacture that is in the market for the people....

old dude

they probably have enought military contracts that they dont need to bother with the civilian guns,

I think if you'll research this you'll find it goes back to a boycott in the early 90's. Since then a reorganization has bolstered Colt and they do still have a civilian firearms division. Here's an excerpt:

The boycott of Colt has faded out with the new CEO William M. Keys, a retired U.S. Marine Lt. General, working hard to bring Colt back from its tarnished reputation. Due to the efforts of William Keys, Colt's quality has improved as much as its favor with diehard Colt fans.

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
Colt is as bad as Ruger. Both are manufacturers I will never own and would not sell new if I had an FFL.

One of the things that I do like about the current S&W is that they have jumped head first into the AR-15 market with the M&P15 rifles. They have made them civilian friendly. Unless an particular item is LE only (which they have none presently), they will make anything available. I just wish they wouldn't phase out the 3rd generation metallic frame pistols.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ucf4