Colt 1911 Gov't - Which replacement grips do you recommend and why

Which replacement grip for a Colt 1911 Gov't model

• Total voters
I just ordered some Crimson Trace- will let ya know how they feel/function

I've got Pachmayr's on my guns now. I like the rubber grip because it is easy to grip. I cut the front strap cover rubber off. I've heard of a blown case splintering wood grip and that doesn't sound nice in the palm.

I've seen some nice looking Micarta and carbon fiber which makes sense.

Aliminum grips, hot in the summer and frozen finger in the winter.

oacp002-800x600.gif

What do you have on the front of the grip???

I've got Pachmayr's on my guns now. I like the rubber grip because it is easy to grip. I cut the front strap cover rubber off. I've heard of a blown case splintering wood grip and that doesn't sound nice in the palm.

I've seen some nice looking Micarta and carbon fiber which makes sense.

Aliminum grips, hot in the summer and frozen finger in the winter.

oacp002-800x600.gif

A sharp center punch and a small 4 oz. hammer.

I might borrow a checkering file, but that front strap has worked well for over 20 years at zero cost.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

2870obn.jpg

Did you then put bluing inside the punch marks???

I'd have to wait till I got a really good deal on a .45, and have NO emotional attachment before I felt I could do such a thing to the handle..

I'm glad it worked for you, but I just don't think I cold do it...

2870obn.jpg

I'd have to wait till I got a really good deal on a .45, and have NO emotional attachment before I felt I could do such a thing to the handle..

+ 1

No way i'd be able to do it lol. If I found so good a deal on a .45 that I felt i could possibly wreck it and not feel bad- then it means I got an amazing deal and can afford to have a pro add the checkering...

2870obn.jpg

You should try taking a hacksaw to the frame on a pre-70 series Colt to fit a beavertail.
DSCF0015Large.jpg

DSCF0011Large.jpg

Just a hacksaw and a file done freehand.

you're good!
I was slow, took at least 2 hours to fit the beavertail. I stripped te frame and set teh beavertail on the frame with the thumb safety pin and used the safety itself to scribe a line on each side. Then it was just a matter of using 32 tooth hacksaw and cutting just outside the line. Then it was just file and trial fit until the safety could be installed. Then of course, the safety had to be filled to work properly on the trigger.

I expect to win te lottery Wednesday, then Ill have a nice shop.

I was slow, took at least 2 hours to fit the beavertail. I stripped te frame and set teh beavertail on the frame with the thumb safety pin and used the safety itself to scribe a line on each side. Then it was just a matter of using 32 tooth hacksaw and cutting just outside the line. Then it was just file and trial fit until the safety could be installed. Then of course, the safety had to be filled to work properly on the trigger.

I expect to win te lottery Wednesday, then Ill have a nice shop.

I can only imagine the quality of work you'd produce with a pro shop..

Some nice work..
Could be a lot faster with an angle grinder!!!

:eek:

:lol:

Obviously - Out of my league!!!
Faster is better only when opening a safe at 3 AM in a place you don't belong.:hang3:

A hacksaw and files and some drills, hand operated are all the tools that can be used by an apprentice gunsmith to make his Masterpiece double barrel shotgun action.
A lathe, drill press and milling machine are nice to have, but they just make manufacture quicker and repeatable.

Of course I don't have any pictures of the guns that I butchers during the first 20 years of my life. :blink:

update:

Crimson trace installed & range tested 200 rounds.

Amazed at how close the laser came sighted in - about 1" left of POI...I'll be honest I only used the laser for about 75 rounds because it felt like cheatin' lmao..very comfortable

Custom wood grips from Craig Spegel out in Oregon. He does nice work. Two of my guns are outfitted with his grips. Cocobolo wood.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back