Colorado

dcummins

This may have already been covered if so I apologize for starting another. However I am leaving for Colorado in June. I know they won’t recognize my Illinois CCW. (No one does because my state is ridiculous and won’t recognize anyone else) Did I read Colorado law correctly? I can leagally open carry anywhere in Colorado with the exception of Denver.

CO is an OC state, except Denver county/city.

There are 20+ states that honor an IL permit, CO just isn't one of them.

This may have already been covered if so I apologize for starting another. However I am leaving for Colorado in June. I know they won’t recognize my Illinois CCW. (No one does because my state is ridiculous and won’t recognize anyone else) Did I read Colorado law correctly? I can leagally open carry anywhere in Colorado with the exception of Denver.

Denver and Boulder that I know of. There may be others.

Denver and Boulder that I know of. There may be others.

I've OC'd in Boulder. They'd like to think they're "home rule," and yes, the cops will give you grief if they feel like they can get away with it. The one I ran into in 2010 said, "You know, you really shouldn't do that around around here."

This is how the conversation went:

Cop: You know, you really shouldn't do that around around here." He gestured to the firearm on my hip.

Me: "You mean open carry?"

Cop: "Yes."

Me: Tilting my head in a philosophical nod. "Why do you open carry."

Cop: "I'm in law enforcement."

Me: "Yes, you are. However, that's your profession. A lot of people in law enforce carry concealed. Why do police officers on the street open carry?"

Cop: "Well, now that you put it that way... Deterrence and rapidity of access."

Me: "Those are the same reasons most people open carry."

Cop: "Ah. Uh-huh. Well... How do you handle gun grabs?"

Me: "Situational awareness, press-turns and block, same as you."

Cop: "Were you in law enforcement?"

Me: "Only on a global scale."

Cop: "Come again?"

Me: "I flew bombers in the Air Force."

Cop: "I see."

Me: "But I have two friends who're in law enforcement. They've shared some techniques."

At that point in time, his order was ready, so he had to go. I thanked him for the chat and bid him a good day and to stay safe. He didn't say anything more about open carry.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back