Colorado Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to our Colorado Concealed Carry page.

Let me know if I missed anything or if you have something to add.

Last edited:
Thanks Luke--I appreciate the update
Does anyone know the procedure for kicking Denver out of Colorado?lol

Colorado & castle doctrine

Your information in Permit Info by State mentions that Colorado is not a castle doctrine state. I submit that CO Revised Statute 18-1-704.5 qualifies as castle doctrine:

18-1-704.5. Use of deadly physical force against an intruder.

(1) The general assembly hereby recognizes that the citizens of Colorado have a right to expect absolute safety within their own homes.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-704, any occupant of a dwelling is justified in using any degree of physical force, including deadly physical force, against another person when that other person has made an unlawful entry into the dwelling, and when the occupant has a reasonable belief that such other person has committed a crime in the dwelling in addition to the uninvited entry, or is committing or intends to commit a crime against a person or property in addition to the uninvited entry, and when the occupant reasonably believes that such other person might use any physical force, no matter how slight, against any occupant.
(3) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from criminal prosecution for the use of such force.
(4) Any occupant of a dwelling using physical force, including deadly physical force, in accordance with the provisions of subsection (2) of this section shall be immune from any civil liability for injuries or death resulting from the use of such force.

from Link Removed

Last edited:
open carry

Your statement that open carry is unrestricted by state law is correct. There is a state law permitting limited restriction of open carry on public property by local governments (29-11.7-104 below).

There is also an infamous court case which resulted in Denver (and only Denver) being allowed to enforce a general prohibition of open carry contrary to state law. It might be helpful to list Denver's open carry ban under "Localities with Varying Laws".

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

(can be seen via link listed in my previous post)

Last edited:
Traveling to CO

I will be flying to CO the week of May 25-29, 2009. I have a NC CCP, and I understand that CO honors my CCP. Anything else I should be aware of concerning CC in CO?

Thanks, 'Dennis.' I'm looking forward to the trip. I'll be in Colorado Springs, so no Denver for me this trip!

Only thing I can think to add is under "Off Limits Places". Private property owners/tenants can restrict carry on their property.

The map showed that Colorado recognized CCW permits from Utah, but it's only if you're a resident of Utah. I have a Utah CCW but live in Nevada, across the state line.
PHdDoc

I currently live in California, but will be retiring from the Air Force around the end of this year and planning to move to Co. Springs. I am hoping the laws in Co. are not near as strict as what I am dealing with now. I live in Kern County which is a very good about issuing CCW permits, but if I cross into L.A. County, I can't carry. I'll be glad to leave this communist hole, sorry excuse of a state!! Can anyone enlighten me on what nice things I have to look forward to when I move?

I currently live in California, but will be retiring from the Air Force around the end of this year and planning to move to Co. Springs. I am hoping the laws in Co. are not near as strict as what I am dealing with now. I live in Kern County which is a very good about issuing CCW permits, but if I cross into L.A. County, I can't carry. I'll be glad to leave this communist hole, sorry excuse of a state!! Can anyone enlighten me on what nice things I have to look forward to when I move?

Shall issue chps, Garden of the Gods, Barr trail, O.C. The Sky Sox, no CCW badges 300 days of sun a year, just enough snow to look pretty, good gun ranges.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back