Colorado laws/Best city to live in

d@v3

Hi all, I'm looking for firearm friendly places to move. I've lived in [upstate] New York my entire life and, although it's absolutely gorgeous here, the politics suck.

I'm tentatively looking at Colorado Springs or Denver. From what I've heard it looks like Denver isn't as gun friendly as Springs. However, I have a few questions:

1) What's the deal with CO reciprocacy? I have a resident unrestricted CCW for New York (NOT easy to get) and I have a non-resident CCW for the state of Pennsylvania.

2) What about open carry? I've read in Denver it's illegal yet other places it is? Isn't it a state law?

3) I've read (and correct me if I'm wrong) that you can open carry without a CO CCW license, but you can't carry concealed without a CO CCW?

Thanks for the advice!

(1) What's the deal with CO reciprocity? NY law prevents your NY license from being good in Colorado. If NY recognized CO permits, NY permits of NY residents would be recognized here.

2) What about open carry? I've read in Denver it's illegal yet other places it is? Correct. Isn't it a state law? There is no state law prohibiting open carry; for complex reasons, Denver can prohibit open carry.

3) ...you can open carry without a CO CCW license, but you can't carry concealed without a CO CCW? Yes.

Another excellent feature of CO law is that loaded handgun carry for self-defense is legal in your vehicle without a permit anywhere in the state including Denver.

Thanks for the reply! So my next question is this... I've never been to Colorado, but I have family who lives in Denver. In my opinion the best place to live in Colorado would be Colorado Springs. Is Colorado Springs the best place (in terms of gun friendliness)? Are there any advantages or disadvantages such as the Open Carry legality issues (like in Denver)?

Basically anything outside off the city and county of denver. Denver had a couple complications, but a colorado ccw is recognized. Compared to what you are use to denver is a dream. A good reference for colorado is rocky mountain gun owners. Rmgo.org I think.

Open carry is legal, however is not that simple depending on certain cities you are in, like denver . A good reference is rocky mountain gun owners. RMGo_Org. If you have any other q's just message me.

Open carry is legal, however is not that simple depending on certain cities you are in, like denver . A good reference is rocky mountain gun owners. RMGo_Org. If you have any other q's just message me.

Respectfully, Denver city/county is the only place open carry is not simple. Everywhere else in Colorado falls under Colorado's preemption laws. Because of Colorado's preemption laws, outside of Denver there is no city/county that is any better than the other for fireams possession/carrying.

Concealed carry with permit= okay everywhere.
Open carry= okay everywhere except Denver.
Carrying in your car is fine anywhere.

The comparison between NY laws and Denver is unfair. Sure, open carry isn't legal in Denver, but buying a weapon here is a breeze compared to NY.

Brush up on your Spanish and move to AZ
Its still the old west you only need a permit if you want to carry concealed but you can open carry all you want

yeeee haaaaa

The comparison between NY laws and Denver is unfair. Sure, open carry isn't legal in Denver, but buying a weapon here is a breeze compared to NY.

Well there's one positive.:pleasantry: If it weren't for the current CO shall issue laws Denver would still
be the most suppressive in the state.

Thanks for the reply! So my next question is this... I've never been to Colorado, but I have family who lives in Denver. In my opinion the best place to live in Colorado would be Colorado Springs. Is Colorado Springs the best place (in terms of gun friendliness)? Are there any advantages or disadvantages such as the Open Carry legality issues (like in Denver)?

I live in Colorado Springs and I'd rather live up in the mountains or out in the prairies or maybe Pueblo but if Co Springs and Denver are your only two choices, Co Springs

Brush up on your Spanish and move to AZ
Its still the old west you only need a permit if you want to carry concealed but you can open carry all you want

yeeee haaaaa

Concealed carry without a permit is now legal here (with few restrictions). I don't recall what restrictions apply; I got my CCW before the law changed.

Last edited:
Well there's one positive.:pleasantry: If it weren't for the current CO shall issue laws Denver would still
be the most suppressive in the state.
Very true. That's the great thing about Denver being less of a real city and more of a cowtown on steroids... we're not too big for the state to keep us in check! :biggrin:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back