Colorado inform and alcohol?

JerryM

My wife and I are planning to go to the Durango, CO area later this month. I have been trying to determine if I can carry concealed in a restaurant which serves alcohol? I have been unable to find out.

As I read the law there is no requirement to volunteer that I am carrying if approached by LEO unless asked. I am not sure what would be the question if stopped unless it was whether I had any firearms in the car. I would answer and state that I have a CHL license from NM.

I seem to recall that the now defunct Packing.org had a list of each states off limits areas and the requirements to notify a police officer if stopped. Handgun laws site does not address such, and the individual state's laws are difficult to wade through to find the info needed.

I will appreciate any help. Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry

Colorado has no restriction on CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Of course you should not be dirinking while CCing, but htat is just common sense . As far informing an officer when contacted, there is no requirement to do so, but all of the officers that I have asked, would prefer that you inform them just so they know you may be armed. If stopped for a traffic stop it is simple to hane them your DL and CCW permit at the same time. They then know that you are being up front with them and they can be fairly certain that you intend them no harm. If you had been intent on doing them harm you would not have notified them until it was too late. JMHO. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Colorado has no restriction on CC in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Of course you should not be dirinking while CCing, but htat is just common sense . As far informing an officer when contacted, there is no requirement to do so, but all of the officers that I have asked, would prefer that you inform them just so they know you may be armed. If stopped for a traffic stop it is simple to hane them your DL and CCW permit at the same time. They then know that you are being up front with them and they can be fairly certain that you intend them no harm. If you had been intent on doing them harm you would not have notified them until it was too late. JMHO. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi

Hi elkhuntCO ,

Thanks for the reply. I have always thought it would be best to inform and not have the officer surprised if it came to that. I don't drink at all, but my state, NM, prohibits carrying into any restaurant that serves alcohol.

I don't mind not carrying when I can plan on it, but when you are out of town and are carrying it sometimes is cumbersome to store your gun.

Hopefully NM will change that in time, but not sure how long. I think we have one or more powerful politicians who are opposed. It was difficult to get the change that permitted us to CC in such places as WalMart or the 7-11s where alcohol is sold.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.

Regards,
Jerry

Here's a link to the Colorado State Shooting Association's site, with a list of FAQ's.

Link Removed

According to this source, it is not illegal to carry firearms while in an establishment that serves alcohol, nor is it illegal to drink while carrying. However, if involved in a situation where you have to defend yourself with your firearm, any drinking that you did will come into question (whether you were intoxicated, how your judgment was affected, etc.). Always a good idea to not drink while carrying.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back