Clint Eastwoods new movie "Gran Torino"

Templar

I'm a square
Ok, maybe not completely off topic, there are guns in the movie. Not sure how much "gun safety" will be emphasized :cool: but looks like classic Clint. This link should go to the movie trailer....

IMDb Video: Gran Torino: Trailer

In my opinion, he's one of the five greatest actors of all time. Just because of him, this should be a pretty good movie.

Is this kid of a Charles Bronson, Death Wish type of movie? If so I will like it. I like most of Eastwood's movies anyway.

Clint Eastwood

I see he refers to himself as ppolitically incorrect, but we should all be that incorrect. From the promos I have seen, I get the impression he gets involved with a bunch of gangbangers who try to steal his car, hence the name of the movie. What gets me, is that he has to do it, because, as in real life, the police don't dseem to be able to do anything. It shows we must defend oursellves, as the police won't, or can't, really.

Yes, Sir

Yes, I have heard good things about this one, too. When watching, Keep in mind it was shot last summer around Northeast Detroit.:cool:

Gran Torino wins box office battle in its first weekend of wide release

I can't wait to see this movie. This news comes as no surprise to me.

Link Removed

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Clint Eastwood set a new personal best at the North American box office on Sunday as " Gran Torino " sped to No. 1, hoping to grab the attention of Oscar voters a day before nominations ballots are due.

The light drama, in which the 78-year-old actor/director plays a grumpy old man who takes on some neighborhood thugs Dirty Harry-style, earned $29 million during the three days beginning Friday, distributor Warner Bros . Pictures said.

Eastwood's previous best weekend was " Space Cowboys " with $18 million in 2000.

It was the first weekend that "Gran Torino" was in wide release across the United States and Canada. It spent the past four weekends in fewer than 100 theaters and has earned $40.1 million to date.

Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc , hopes "Gran Torino" will score with Oscar voters even though it has largely been ignored by other awards groups. Ballots must be received by the close of business on Monday, and nominations will be announced on January 22, a month before the awards ceremony takes place in Hollywood .

Another potential influence on Oscar voters is the Golden Globe Awards , which will kick off later on Sunday in Beverly Hills at 8 p.m. EST (0100 GMT). The top Globe contenders are " The Curious Case of Benjamin Button ," "Doubt" and "Frost/Nixon," with five nominations each. "Gran Torino" received one, for original song.

"Benjamin Button" is the only one in the Top 10, falling two places to No. 5 with $9.5 million in its third weekend. The total for the Paramount Pictures rose to $94.3 million. Brad Pitt stars as a man who ages backwards.

Miramax Films ' Catholic drama "Doubt" has earned $23 million after five weekends, and Universal Pictures' journalism drama "Frost/Nixon" $7.7 million after six.

The No. 2 movie at the weekend box office was the 20th Century Fox comedy " Bride Wars ," starring Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson , with $21.5 million in its first weekend.

Also new were the Rogue Pictures /Universal Pictures supernatural thriller " The Unborn " at No. 3 with $21.1 million, and TriStar Pictures ' faith-themed drama " Not Easily Broken " at No. 8 with $5.6 million. Their respective studios said the openings exceeded expectations.

After two weekends at No. 1, Fox's canine saga " Marley & Me " fell to No. 4 with $11.4 million. The film, starring Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson , has earned $123.7 million to date.

Paramount Pictures is a unit of Viacom Inc . Universal is a unit of General Electric Co's NBC Universal. Rogue is a unit of closely held relativity Media. Miramax is a unit of Walt Disney Co . Fox is a unit of News Corp . TriStar is a unit of Sony Corp .

I've been very impressed at Eastwood's ability to both shape a personality for himself as an actor, and produce, direct and act in a variety of movies. Gran Torino sounds very good like his others and I'll have to see it sometime.

I watched it this weekend. I really liked the movie, Clint is his grumpy ol' self! :smile: Don't want to say too much at this point, no spoilers here!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back