Cleveland School Shooting

rabywk

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SCHOOL_SHOOTING?SITE=MOSTP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

CLEVELAND (AP) -- A gunman opened fire in a downtown high school Wednesday before killing himself, and five people were taken to a hospital, authorities said.

Mayor Frank Jackson said three young people and two adults were hurt. The extent of their injuries was not immediately known.

Police said SuccessTech Academy had been secured and that the lone suspect had fatally shot himself.

I've been watching it. The gunman turned out to be a student that was expelled yesterday. He had a criminal record of domestic violence. Sounds like another student mental time bomb! If either teacher had a CW then it would have been over before it got out of hand...

[dark irony]

He must not have read the "No Guns" sign. They need to make those in bigger letters so that the homocidal maniacs can read them.

On the bright side, at least no teachers were armed, or they would have shot themselves and the students by accident. Gun laws save lives!

[/dark irony]

More news

Link Removed

CLEVELAND - A gunman opened fire in a downtown high school Wednesday before killing himself, and five people were taken to a hospital, authorities said. After the shooting, shaken teens called their parents on cell phones, most to reassure but in at least one case with terrifying news: "Mom, I got shot."
ADVERTISEMENT
Click Here

Mayor Frank Jackson said three teens and two adults were hurt. He said the children were in "stable, good condition," and the adults were in "a little elevated condition."

Police said SuccessTech Academy had been secured and that the lone suspect had fatally shot himself. Students said he was enrolled at the alternative school but did not attend class Wednesday.

Student Doneisha LeVert, who hid in a closet with two other students after she heard a "Code Blue" alert over the loudspeaker, said the shooter had threatened students Friday.

"He's crazy. He threatened to blow up our school. He threatened to stab everybody," she said.

Ronnell Jackson, 15, said he saw a shooter running down a school hallway.

"He was about to shoot me, but I got out just in time," he said. "He was aiming at me I got out just in time."

Tammy Mundy, 38, who has a son and daughter at the school, told The Plain Dealer that her daughter called when the shooting started.

"She said, 'Mom they're shooting in here, kids are running out, I'm hiding in the closet,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Then she called her 18-year-old son, Darnell Rodgers, on his cell phone, and he told her he had been shot in the arm.

"He said, 'Mom, I got shot,'" Mundy told the newspaper.

Rodgers' girlfriend, 17-year-old Lateisha Riddlehill, who hid in a bathroom during the shootings, confirmed that Rodgers had been shot in the elbow. She said he told her he was going to be fine.

The mayor said two boys, ages 14 and 17, were hurt, as were two men, ages 42 and 57, and a 14-year-old girl he said fell and hurt her knee while running out of the school. It was not immediately clear if the 17-year-old he referred to might actually be Rodgers.

The 57-year-old is a teacher and was in good condition, said Eileen Korey, a spokeswoman for Metro Health Medical Center. She said the older teenage student was in stable condition, and that conditions on the other patients were not being released.

Students stood outside the building, many in tears, hugging each other and on cell phones. Others shouted at reporters with TV cameras to leave them alone. Family members also stood outside, anxiously waiting for their children to be released.

"I'm scared. I'm hoping no more people got hurt," Ronnell Jackson said.

The shooting occurred across the street from the FBI office in downtown Cleveland, and students were being sent to the FBI site.

"There are a lot of emergency vehicles," said spokesman Scott Wilson. "They're just trying to sort things out right now."

Wilson said he had no information on the shooting.

SuccessTech Academy is an alternative high school in the Cleveland city school district that emphasizes technology and entrepreneurship. It is is housed on several floors of the district's downtown Cleveland Lakeside Avenue administration building.

"It's a shining beacon for the Cleveland Metropolitan School System," said John Zitzner, founder and president of E City Cleveland, a nonprofit group aimed at teaching business skills to inner-city teens. "It's orderly, it's disciplined, it's calm, it's focused."

The school has about 240 mainly black students with a small number of white and Hispanic students. All the students are considered poor under federal poverty guidelines.

The school, opened five years ago, ranks in the middle of the state's ratings for student performance. Its graduation rate is 94 percent, well above the district's rate of 55 percent.

It's a real same when law abiding citizens are not allowed to protect themselves. My wife is about to graduate with an elementary education degree and I would really like her to be able to carry her handgun. I am afraid, however, this will never change. I hope I am wrong.

My 2 cents!

It's a real same when law abiding citizens are not allowed to protect themselves. My wife is about to graduate with an elementary education degree and I would really like her to be able to carry her handgun. I am afraid, however, this will never change. I hope I am wrong.
What's a shame is that our lawmakers use incidents like this to try and show reason why handguns are bad in the first place, yet they seem to disregard the fact that it's troubled people who've obtained them and misused them, not those of us who have gone through training and FBI background checks to get our licenses to legally carry.

I do agree with one thing though, guns are too easily available to too many kids, and they're being used way too much in gang shootings or in the illegal drug trade. My own son is in prison now because he was dealing meth and carrying a firearm, something I most definitely did not teach him, yet I totally agree with his sentence because of his actions. Unfortunately they can easily find and buy these weapons from about anyone on the streets and these are the ones the lawmakers use against the rest of us law abiding citizens in effort to try and make an example of what's wrong with handguns. How unfortunate.

For some reason I've never liked the idea of my firearms being registered, I think that goes back to the fears that if our country ever tried to take our guns they'd know exactly where to go to get the registered ones, yet all the while the unregistered ones will still be out there in the hands of the criminals and that doesn't solve the problems at all! That only makes things worse and much more dangerous for the responsible people they've taken the guns away from.

As I get older I see more and more things that I feel need to be corrected in our country, I find it sad that it's easier to get an audience with a foreign leader than it is with our own president. I'm disabled now due to a trucking accident, I'm forced to live on Social Security, which I paid into all my working life, but when I need dental care Medicaid only covers "pulling, filling, or cleaning". They don't pay for crowns or implants or anything cosmetic, yet our country funds the US Navy to send the USS Comfort, a hospital ship, around the world to 3rd world countries and offer what they call "humanitarian operations", giving them free specialty medical treatment and operations that are sometimes unavailable to Americans who need them.

It's not that I begrudge other countries for getting this aid, BUT I feel it should only be available to them after our own citizens are taken care of first. Isn't that how it should be? I also find it sad that decent married couples find themselves making decisions to divorce after decades of marriage only in effort to get medication paid for because Medicaid or Medicare refuses to cover it any longer due to their joint Social Security income being over the Social Security limit. Why have "In God We Trust" on our money if you're going to force citizens to live together out of wedlock in this manner?

Believe me, Social Security Disability or even regular Social Security is no free ride, it's survival only, just an existance. I paid into the system to cover me incase of an accident, it's like any other insurance, but living like this is no picnic, I'm getting by but only barely, I'm forced to live in Section 8 housing and what I get paid is so far below minimum wage it's not even funny! In fact minimum wage for me would be like finding a gold mine.

I don't mean to sound greedy, I'm not honestly, but I do want to see the system work for all. What's sad for me to see is that I can't even get help from the very agency I was forced to pay into all my working life though mandatory payroll deductions, yet they cruise around the world giving it away to other countries for free while I can't get the help I need? To me this is backwards thinking, it just doesn't make sense to me!

Oh well, so much for my two cents on world events.

SnowCajun

Another defenseless killing zone.
The right to carry has proven to be a deterrent to crime.
A lot of people are not very smart, however if you knew that those in a school could be armed, and could legally carry a firearm would you logically be more or less likely to try and shoot someone there? Go figure.
The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed!
School shootings will never be stopped by gun control, unless that control requires every one to carry a gun.

the police can not stop it.:(
the legistators can not stop it.:(
legally armed citizens can stop it.:D

JPFO has a story of a young man wanting to carry on campus. The school sent him to a shrink. He must have some problems if he wants to carry a gun on a Christian school campus. I carry in Church. Church shooting are not uncommon. I mean people getting shot at Church.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back