Cleaning brass cases, looking for advice

coachdb18

Just wondering what cleaners others might recommend for tumbler additives for brass cleaning. I'm new to reloading, and do most of my shooting with a couple of .357 Magnum revolvers, which do a fair amount of dirtying the cartridges (also shoot some 9mm in a semi-auto). I've seen several, some with good reviews, some not, just wondering about personal experiences. What I'm leaning towards at the moment based on the published reviews is Filtz Tumbler/Media additive (7.99 for 7.2 oz bottle, but another $10 for shipping! - so would need to find a local supplier), and Frankfort Arsenal. Seems that the reviews on Iosso are not so good.

Hope there are some old hands that can offer some good advice!

I use walnut media and Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish (1-2 oz) with each polishing session. Unless you can find a local shop that carries it, I'd suggest ordering it along with whatever else you may need at the same time in order to maximize your shipping charges. I get it from Midway
I've heard of using liquid car wax instead of the Frankford polish, but I have no personal knowledge of how, or if, it works.

I use the Lyman corn cob, I buy locally though at gander mountain usually.

Link Removed

Before I used the walnut and I was not a fan. I run my brass for about 60-90min. Gets the brass about 75% clean. Remember the longer you clean the case the more wear there is on it. Yes it is minimal but it adds up over a few reloads.

I also do not lube my pistol cases. If you use carbide dies no lube is required. But it also doesn't hurt anything to use lube.

I like the Dillon polish. I was able to find it at a local gun shop, buying it from Dillon is rather expensive if you figure in the freight. I use walnut shell to clean range ammo then corn cob to polish. I found the walnut and cob at the pet store for half the price. The cob is a bit larger than the cob at the gun store and is a real pain with bottle neck brass.

Purchased a Hornady ultrasonic cleaner w/ both brass and firearm detergent. I have now obtained clean cartridges inside and out, w/ clean primer pockets as well. And I also got another bonus with the change, I had been getting nearly every round plugged with a piece of media in the flash hole that needed to be pushed thru before I could prime them, an extra step that added nothing. And I also can clean small parts and jewelry, etc. And it's fast by comparison too. Much happier now!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back