Cleaning a Nickle 29

442js

I unexpectedly picked up a 4" 29-2 Nickel made in 1980 (at least per the serial number). The gun was in a batch of confiscated guns by the sheriff, and it is in reasonably good shape. I haven't seen a nickle 4" model before so I decided to pick it up. Unfortunately the criminal who had the gun previously didn't take great care of it, and I need to clean it up.

I have used CLP on my blue and stainless guns. Is it okay to use on the nickle finish? I also have to clean up the forcing cone, and I know the polishing cloth for stainless will damage blued guns. Can I use it on nickle without any damage?

The grips are marked up as well, but I think I might be able to clean them up. Any suggestions on how to clean the wood grips? I attached some pictures of some of the problems.

Thank you.

nickle 29

If you are on good terms with one of your local jewelers, you can take it in to them and have them clean it in the ultrasonic jewelery cleaning machine. and while you may not get the entire firearm in the machine, you can still place it and rotate as needed.

Kroil works well on nickel plated pieces, will not harm the plating and will clean up the fouling.

I've used Fast Orange hand cleaner and an old toothbrush on wood before. In fact, that's the recommended way of cleaning wood after cutting or engraving with a laser.

Link Removed

Last edited:
There's a special cloth for nickel! I can't think of it right now! Ask at a gun store or try Gander Mt. I know they carry the cloth. I have a 6in Model 27-2.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back