Class III License

G

gpbarth

Okay, guys, here's a new one (I think so):

Anyone up here personally experienced in obtaining a Class III permit? Now, I'm not talking about buying ONE firearm (that Thompson submachine gun), but getting a license as an FFL, to purchase guns, including automatic weapons, ship guns (send and receive through the mails), and sell guns.

I have looked into this somewhat with mixed results. This is the "condensed list" of needed items:

• Is 21 years or more of age;
  • Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;
  • Has not willfully violated the GCA [Gun Control Act] or its regulations;
  • Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
  • Has premises [which in most cases can be your home] for conducting business or collecting; and,
  • The applicant certifies that--
(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premise is located;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met; and,

(4) the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises are located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license.

(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees ("secure gun storage or safety" defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (34) ) .

Now, I can do all of this with very few problems. What am I missing? It can't be this simple. Do the local cops usually make this extremely difficult? I'm in Florida, and I can't find any state laws stating that I can't do this. Granted, this is a FFL application, not a Class III permit per se, but if you have an FFL, how much leeway does that give you toward Class III purchases? Does an FFL give you access to automatic weapons, or do you have to jump through more hoops?

Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one does!

seems alright, from what i can tell your probably already on file with a personal license so you have a track record, depending what state you are in it might be a lil tricky to get a license, so i wish you the best of luck. as for that ship gun, would look good on the roof.

Okay, guys, here's a new one (I think so):

Anyone up here personally experienced in obtaining a Class III permit? Now, I'm not talking about buying ONE firearm (that Thompson submachine gun), but getting a license as an FFL, to purchase guns, including automatic weapons, ship guns (send and receive through the mails), and sell guns.

I have looked into this somewhat with mixed results. This is the "condensed list" of needed items:
  • Is 21 years or more of age;
  • Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition;
  • Has not willfully violated the GCA [Gun Control Act] or its regulations;
  • Has not willfully failed to disclose material information or willfully made false statements concerning material facts in connection with his application;
  • Has premises [which in most cases can be your home] for conducting business or collecting; and,
  • The applicant certifies that--
(1) the business to be conducted under the license is not prohibited by State or local law in the place where the licensed premise is located;

(2) within 30 days after the application is approved the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of the business;

(3) the business will not be conducted under the license until the requirements of State and local law applicable to the business have been met; and,
This is one of the big ones. You need to have a local business license or a letter from your local business licensing authority that you are obtaining one pending issance of a FFL. Many jurisdictions will not issue such a license for home based FFLs. They are out there, we have two in Henderson Nevada. If your can't get a local business license then you must have a brick and mortar location where you can get a local business license.
(4) the applicant has sent or delivered a form to the chief law enforcement officer where the premises are located notifying the officer that the applicant intends to apply for a license.
Another big one. Your local chief of police or sheriff must sign off on the application. Probably not as big of a deal in Florida. It is in southern Nevada.
(5) secure gun storage or safety devices will be available at any place in which firearms are sold under the license to persons who are not licensees ("secure gun storage or safety" defined in 18 U.S.C. 921 (a) (34) ) .

Now, I can do all of this with very few problems. What am I missing? It can't be this simple. Do the local cops usually make this extremely difficult? I'm in Florida, and I can't find any state laws stating that I can't do this. Granted, this is a FFL application, not a Class III permit per se, but if you have an FFL, how much leeway does that give you toward Class III purchases? Does an FFL give you access to automatic weapons, or do you have to jump through more hoops?

Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one does!
It isn't.

A caveat with machine guns. You can only deal and have post-86 dealer samples if you have letters from law enforcement agencies authorizing you to stock demonstration inventory otherwise you are limited to pre-86 machine guns.

The other bad thing about FFLs even C&Rs is that you can only receive packages at the physical location where you are licensed. No receiving at a UPS Store or other commercial mail and package receiving facility. Everyone ships firearms adult signature required so you either need to be present to receive them or deal with the hassle of will calling them from FedEx or UPS. Sometimes the items are shipped with special instructions where it cannot be will called until all initial deliver attempts are exhausted. This was the case with the FFL who handles my interstate transfers with my S&W M&P15R purchase last month. He couldn't get it until all three UPS delivery attempts were made and it was being held for a week pending return shipment.

If you're going to deal in a high volume of machine guns then it might be worth it. If not, then just pay the $200 a firearm transfer tax.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back