Clarification

CLAYBROOK

I stopped by a liquor store the other day to pick up a bottle of wine for a get together my wife and I were having. I noticed a sign near the entrance which stated that it was against state law to carry a concealed weapon on the premises punishable by up to 10 yrs and a fine up to $10,000. This sign was right next to another sign stating that drinking on the premises was against the law. Unless I'm reading wrong, the Texas CCL law only applies to businesses who sell alcohol (51%+) which is consumed on the premises. Am I reading the law wrong, or is there an additional law which I am not aware of?

Also, I have seen no mention in the Texas law prohibiting concealed carry in banks and malls. Can someone clarify these issues for me?

I would say it is probably an old sign that has never been taken down. You can also

From Link Removed

Title 10 Chpt. 46 § 46.03
· A place of business that derives 51% or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on
premises consumption
· On premises of a correctional facility
· On the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity
sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a
school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private,
· On the premises where a high school, collegiate or professional sporting event of interscholastic event is taking
place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event
· On the premises of a polling place on the day of an election or while early voting is in progress.
· racetrack; secured area of an airport
· In any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written
authorization of the court.
· *on the premises of a church, synagogue, or other established place of religious worship.
· *On the premises of a Hospital licensed under the Health and Safety Code
· *On the premises of a nursing home licensed under the Health and Safety Code
· *Amusement parks. Amusement Parks means a permanent indoor or outdoor facility or park where amusement
rides are available for use by the public that is located in a county with a population of more than one million,
encompasses at least 75 acres in surface area, is enclosed with access only through controlled entries, is open for operation more than 120 days in each calendar year, and has security guards on the premises at all times. The term
does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other
parking area.
· Public or private premises conspicuously posted with this sign do
· Items above marked * Do not apply if the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
30.06(e)
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned
or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from
carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.
In order to provide notice that entry on property by a license holder with a concealed handgun is forbidden, Penal Code
Section 30.06(c)(3)(A) requires that a written communication contain the following Language: 30.06 Sign.
30.06(c)(3)(B) further states that a sign must meet the following requirements:
i. includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;
ii. appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and
iii. is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

Thank you fall guy, but I have read this numerous times. If I am reading it correctly, Concealed Carry is allowed in Banks, Malls, and Liquor stores(unless properly posted otherwise ie..Sec 30.06) No state laws to say otherwise.

I was curious to see if anyone was interperting this differently than me, or knew somethig that I didn't which is quite possible.

I think you are reading exactly correct.

As far as the one sign at the liquor store. I would still bet it is an old sign. At one time in TN you could not carry into any place that even just sold alcohol, convenience store, grocery store etc.... Many places had signs similar to the one you talked about. Since then the law has changed, but I have heard of some places still leaving the old signs up.

The sign should read the unlicensed possesion of a concealed weapon...If it doesn't have that word "unlicensed" on it,I agree that it may be an old sign.
To the best of my knowledge,it is fine for you to carry in there.Just don't carry into your favorite bar,which you already know.
;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back