Church Carry

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
I just got out of church and had something interesting happened today. Let me explain.

My brother and I have been attending the same church together for the past two and a half years. Both of us have LTCs, but every time we go to church together (it's always in his car) he leaves his gun in the car. Until today we never talked about it; my reasoning was if that's what he chose to do, then let him. Today, after church let out, he told me that he saw my gun printing against my sweater and asked me why I was carrying my gun in church. When I told him that I always carried there, his eyes grew big and he asked me if I was crazy. I guess since it never came up, he must have always either not thought about it or assumed that I kept my gun at home. He asked if I would continue to bring my gun to church or if I would start leaving it at home; when I told him that I have been armed at church all this time with no problems (church carry is legal here in Indiana) and that I would continue to carry there, he just sorta went silent. I hope that he doesn't use that as a reason not to continue taking me to church with him. I'll just have to wait and see what happens next week. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Well, after spending about almost 5 hrs outside snowblowing and now I'm burnt out (having a drink right now of course), I came back to my favorite forum! Lot's of replies from........who else....tattedupboy, of course :lol:! Man, your computer stuck to you or what :lol::lol::lol::lol:??!!
Anyways, I think this church thingy came up once on here somewhere if I remember. I think someone mentioned that it is not illegal to carry in a church but You should mention it to the Pastor that You are carrying and if it is "ok" with Him then that's fine but if not, you must abide by His request. Other than that, I do not see any reason why not to carry in a church. All in all, You don't even have to say anything to anyone! I'm just repeating something I read on here back awhile ago. CCW is more the better I think in that cituation anyway. Again, use Your better judgement.
Answering your question, as far as your Brother, if You're driving, then bring your weapon in. If He is driving then leave it in His car OR tell him you'll catch up with Him later.
Now I'm ready for another drink!

It's illegal here in VA. I think there are provisions, but there is some hoops to jump through. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to carry personally anyway. But my opinion rarely gets listened to anyway

When I told him that I always carried there, his eyes grew big and he asked me if I was crazy. I guess since it never came up, he must have always either not thought about it or assumed that I kept my gun at home. He asked if I would continue to bring my gun to church or if I would start leaving it at home...
Ask him why he doesn't carry in church. Somehow, I doubt he will be able to verbalize a logical reason. If guns are incompatible with one's faith, then carrying outside of church would be a sin.

It's illegal here in VA. I think there are provisions, but there is some hoops to jump through. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to carry personally anyway. But my opinion rarely gets listened to anyway
Your opinion rarely gets listened to anyway? Yeh, I'm married.

If your hand gun is with you in church there is no way someone passing by the church can walk up and steal your gun. Thieves have no boundaries!!

Hmmm, as said above if it's legal then carry.

I always carried in my church up in WA no problems ever came up or crossed my mind. Wife would carry a .32 in her purse, also no problem. I think God was okay with it.

tattedupboy, it doesn't seem that your Brother had a problem with whether it was legal or not to carry in a church, but instead just chooses not to carry in church, right?
Article after article I read and stories from folks here, I realize things go bad EVERYWHERE including inside churches!
BUT, on another note....can a Pastor ask the said person if they're carrying and if they are can the Pastor ask them not to carry in the church next time??

Look on the web for the story of the shooting at Wedgewood Bapt. Church in Fort Worth. That happened about a mile from my house. My daughters best friend saw the whole thing. A few storys like this one should be enough to change his mind. Evil can strike anywhere. As I have said before unless one can see the future it is best to carry everywhere.

Sad Story

I heard a story in my CHL class about an LEO who didn't carry in his church because CCW was illegal in churches. There weren't many details, but apparently a shooter came in and shot several people, including his son who died from his wounds. He now carries illegally into church, and must live with that loss for the rest of his life.

Heartbreaking how these laws protect us, isn't it?

Thank you, gdcleanfun for the posts on church shootings. Another one that happened recently should be noted. What about the church of Scientology, where a guy went bananas with some kind of sword, and had to be dropped by a church guard. I would never have thought of a church security guard, but then, I worked as Lead Security Supervisor at a homeless shelter, in charge of a 23-man force. When I was injured, I was basically deprived of any means to protect myself, by the regulations of the shelter and the sttate of Caliiphony.

Carrying in Church

Hey Tatted,

It seems to me that shootings in church are not all that UNCOMMON lately! Not attacks by the parishoners themselves, but by a stranger coming in and cutting loose on the congregants with one weapon or another. There have been several such instances over the past few years it seems....

I'd do it too.

upanchor

Just because my brother somehow thinks that bringing guns into church is somehow immoral, that's not going to stop me; a gun is nothing but an object and objects are not evil, people are. If anything, I'll just make sure I'm doing a better job of concealing from now on.

As for the earlier question, yes, although I can't be arrested for carrying on church property, I can be asked to leave if the pastor doesn't want me carrying there, as is the case for any place the law doesn't specifically mention as being off limits.

Just because my brother somehow thinks that bringing guns into church is somehow immoral, that's not going to stop me; a gun is nothing but an object and objects are not evil, people are. If anything, I'll just make sure I'm doing a better job of concealing from now on.

As for the earlier question, yes, although I can't be arrested for carrying on church property, I can be asked to leave if the pastor doesn't want me carrying there, as is the case for any place the law doesn't specifically mention as being off limits.

Check with Link Removed for input on Christians and guns.

Then just make sure he does not know you are carrying and there is no problem. My guns are always well concealed. Nobody knows unless I want them to know.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back