Choosing Carry ammo for 9mm... help!

Dark Helmet

well, I'm getting close to the point where I need to decide what I'm actually going to carry for ammunition.

I (will, waiting on permit) carry an HK P2000SK in 9mm, and will be carrying it IWB...

how much of that is relevant? not sure, but what are my best choices for carry ammunition, and as it relates to that, I've noticed a lot of 124gr +P loads and 147gr NOT +P.... I can't seem to find ballistics info on most of them though, so comparing "dead bad-guy" effects is kinda tough...

thanks for any/all guidance on this!

I'm all for the Hydra Shok for carry loads, both in my 9mm and 45:yu: I was in Cabelas today, and it was like a frenzy in the ammo aisles! It was like feeding time at the zoo LOL!

Last edited:
I like Hydra Shoks for both .45 and 9mm.
I got a good deal on some Georgia Arms 115gr +P+ Gold Dots and decided to use it in my nightstand gun.

I have been carrying Hydra-Shoks 124s in my Beretta. The local LEOs carry H/S 40's in their duty sidearms and 9mm in the their Colt 9mm Sub_Guns.
Also Do a search here in this site for Ammo. There are a couple good threads that will help you as well.

Hydra Shoks for me for two reasons. First it works well in all my carry guns and two it is what the LEO here use. Hope this helps.

Right now I have CorBon's for my 9mm and .40, because it was the last of the hollow points when I got them. I was looking for the hydra shoks but the corbon will do the job also.

9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger,9x19mm, 9mm NATO, or simply "9mm")

This is unquestionably the world's most popular pistol round. For this reason it has been the subject of a lot of experimentation, because 9mm ball - used by every army in the Western world - is a mediocre manstopper. Jacketed hollowpoints are a must if one wishes to rely on the 9mm as a defense round. Use ball ammo for practice only.

9mm ammunition is available in two pressure levels: standard and "+P." The latter should only be used in newer guns (made since 1985 or so), and is best used sparingly. I will deal here with only commercially available ammunition: there are specialized loads available only to law enforcement personnel. Civilians should not worry, as there are commercial loads as good or better than anything restricted to law enforcement usage.

I will now tell you the best 9mm Luger load for self-defense: it is the Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint. This is the most powerful and street-proven manstopper available in this caliber. It is a high velocity (1340 fps) and high pressure round, and more effective than any load restricted to law enforcement use (such as the Federal 9BPLE).

Unfortunately, it is also likely to jam many older guns. For this reason I add a table at the end of the 9mm section discussing round suitability for different guns. Modern hollowpoints may either (a) jam, or (b) be too powerful for some older guns. This load is suitable only for First Class pistols (see table).

The best standard pressure 9mm load is the Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP). Its effectiveness and accuracy make it the world standard. Buy several boxes. Other excellent standard pressure 9mm loads are the Winchester Silvertip 115 grain (X9MMSHP), and Federal 124 grain Hydra-shok (P9HS1).

For guns that may jam with the Cor-Bon or Federal 115 grain hollow-points, the Remington 115 grain +P JHP is a good choice (R9MM6). For older guns I would use the Remington standard pressure 115 gr. JHP (R9MM1).

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger,9x19mm, 9mm NATO, or simply "9mm")

This is unquestionably the world's most popular pistol round. For this reason it has been the subject of a lot of experimentation, because 9mm ball - used by every army in the Western world - is a mediocre manstopper. Jacketed hollowpoints are a must if one wishes to rely on the 9mm as a defense round. Use ball ammo for practice only.

9mm ammunition is available in two pressure levels: standard and "+P." The latter should only be used in newer guns (made since 1985 or so), and is best used sparingly. I will deal here with only commercially available ammunition: there are specialized loads available only to law enforcement personnel. Civilians should not worry, as there are commercial loads as good or better than anything restricted to law enforcement usage.

I will now tell you the best 9mm Luger load for self-defense: it is the Cor-Bon 9mm 115 grain +P Jacketed Hollowpoint. This is the most powerful and street-proven manstopper available in this caliber. It is a high velocity (1340 fps) and high pressure round, and more effective than any load restricted to law enforcement use (such as the Federal 9BPLE).

Unfortunately, it is also likely to jam many older guns. For this reason I add a table at the end of the 9mm section discussing round suitability for different guns. Modern hollowpoints may either (a) jam, or (b) be too powerful for some older guns. This load is suitable only for First Class pistols (see table).

The best standard pressure 9mm load is the Federal 115 grain JHP (9BP). Its effectiveness and accuracy make it the world standard. Buy several boxes. Other excellent standard pressure 9mm loads are the Winchester Silvertip 115 grain (X9MMSHP), and Federal 124 grain Hydra-shok (P9HS1).

For guns that may jam with the Cor-Bon or Federal 115 grain hollow-points, the Remington 115 grain +P JHP is a good choice (R9MM6). For older guns I would use the Remington standard pressure 115 gr. JHP (R9MM1).

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

Little guidance is really needed

well, I'm getting close to the point where I need to decide what I'm actually going to carry for ammunition.

I (will, waiting on permit) carry an HK P2000SK in 9mm, and will be carrying it IWB...

how much of that is relevant? not sure, but what are my best choices for carry ammunition, and as it relates to that, I've noticed a lot of 124gr +P loads and 147gr NOT +P.... I can't seem to find ballistics info on most of them though, so comparing "dead bad-guy" effects is kinda tough...

Asking a question like this is like asking 100 people, What's the best candy bar"? Your gonna get a lot of different answers and in reality they all will be right. The best answer I can give is, Any Premium grade hollow point ammo regardless of brand is good. The best thing to do is listen to all the different opinions, Study the specs on the different ammo, read as much "propaganda" that the ammo companies put out and then make a decision, What ever you decide will be right. If you are comfortable with it then it's the "BEST". If you just can't decide, a good rule of thumb is, find out what your local LEOs carry and carry the same.

much thanks folks...

I used to be a "MV first" guy... but going from hunting primarily with a 25-06 to a 35 Whelen (aka 35-06)... uh, heavy and a little slower is just A-OK...

so I'm guessing I'll stick with 124gr +Ps....

I can't imagine opting for a 115... weight is a very effective tool when it relates to energy transfer, at least on game. 'course I'm not throwing 250gr out there at 2400fps... but nonetheless... (talk about bone-destruction at about 200yds...)

thanks again.

There's nothing wrong with 147gr ammo in 9mm. If the COAL is set properly, it should not jam or fail to feed.

147gr is just 11gr shy of 158gr, which is the size of .38s traveling 200fps slower and taking out bad guys for decades.

The tops in 9mm is Corbon, but by the evidence from tests by people like firearms trainer John Farnham, the DPX round in all copper is the way to go. It will track straight thru auto glass and kill the perp behind it. Near perfect weight retention from the all copper construction.

Another great round is the one originally designed for the Luger. 124gr JFP. Speer makes a 124gr Uni-Cor that is essentially that, a soft point with serations in the jacket and an exposed, but flat lead nose with the jacket right up to the rim. No worry about soft lead gumming up the feed ramp, the nose will slide up on the jacket. Picked up 100 the other day, will be reloading them to just over 1330 fps.

Any of the above as well as Hornady TAPS or Hornady Personal Defense would be good choices as long as you have tried them and are certain they feed well in you firearm. There are many good rounds made today as far as expansion is concerned. As I have said before above all else reliability is paramount with any loads.

I use Winchesters PDX1 147gr in my Taurus 24/7 Pro.Have not had any jamming problems! I trust the 147gr as my carry round.

Some of the information you have recieved may be a bit...dated. While it's true that older designs did not do well in real street encounters, the newest generation 147 grain hollow points are much better.

With the right bullet design, there's nothing wrong with the 147 grain loading. Pick the one that works best in your weapon and worry more about training and tactics.

Service Pistol Duty and Self-Defense Loads - M4Carbine.net Forums

Link Removed

The following loads all demonstrate outstanding terminal performance and can be considered acceptable for duty/self-defense use:

9 mm:
Barnes XPB 105 & 115 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal Tactical 124 gr JHP (LE9T1)
Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Partition Gold 124 gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 127 gr +P+ JHP (RA9TA)
Federal Tactical 135 gr +P JHP (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147 gr JHP (P9HST2)
Remington Golden Saber 147 gr JHP (GS9MMC)
Speer Gold Dot 147 gr JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 147 gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester 147 gr bonded JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Cor Bon is the most used.

Cor Bon is the load my brother uses, He is in the S.E.A.L.S. I am in Law Enf. Myself and as far as stopping power and wound channel damage etc, Cor Bon HP'S are the most effective as far as energy tranferred on impact. Has a Very low risk of going all the way through a target, And "shrooms" very well even through heavily dressed targets, (Jackets/ Hoodies etc. Cor Bon is hard to find anymore. If you can not find them Federal HYDRA SHOK is hands downs the second most used brand by citizens as well as Federal branches.

But no matter what brand of rounds you decide on make sure they are Hollow Points Remember you don't want over penetration it takes away from the chances of stopping a threat as well as increasing the threat for friendlies in the background.

Corbon DPX 115 grain solid copper composition Barnes rounds are what I prefer to carry in a 9mm Luger handgun.

I'm also impressed with the Federal HST rounds that are now available to law abiding citizens.

Cor Bon is the load my brother uses, He is in the S.E.A.L.S.

Your brother does not use Corbon while on duty with his issued Sig P226. He uses the standard NATO round M882 hardball. 115 grain. Your sure he's a SEAL or is this carried in his personal CCW gun ??

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back