Choosing between deep conceal pistols, need help please..

danielbyars

Well friends, I need some direction in choosing the proper deep conceal pistol to be worn in a lower back waistband holster. Weapon will be worn daily for 8+ hours and I will be active. The following are my choices:

After a day at the range it will be either the Ruger LCR or the Ruger SP101 with bobbed hammer. Shot the LCR and WOW it is a mule. I just do not trust polymer. I really did feel like it would fall apart under the heavy loads. The size is almost identical. I trust stainless. Any suggestions for a holster that will STAY in place under activity (like jogging)?

Last edited:
Taurus Model 651 CIA Protector in .357 Magnum
Kahr Arms CM9 in 9mm
Ruger LC9 in 9mm
Beretta M&P Compact 9mm
Taurus Model 709 Slim Compact 9mm
For a 9mm I like the Ruger LC9 and the Beretta PX4 Storm sub-compact. Another nice gun for deep concealment is the Kimber Solo.

OMG I saw aa youtube video where a guy wears a kydex paddle holster and gets it taken off his hip by a guy behind him. he just tore it off took the gun and holster away. he pushed down and twisted it and the holster and gun were taken from him and he had the in the pants backing still in his pants I was thinking about getting one not now.!!!!! it was a over the pants paddle holster.. 2 seconds and its gone. watch the video on youtube.
wow.

Well I narrowed it down. It is between the Ruger LCR in .357 and a stainless Ruger SP101 with a bobbed hammer. I rented the LCR today and WOW what a mule with full power ammo. After 50 rounds at 7 yards my hand was unhappy. The LCR just does not feel right. I feel like it is going to fall apart.

If you like .357 caliber, you should have a look at some of the revolvers put out by Charter Arms.
Looked at a Charter Arms .357 Mag Pug the other day, very impressed. I've been looking for a smaller second carry, and haven't found one that really impresses me. The pug isn't all that small, but I am certainly impressed and considering it for CC. :biggrin:

Personally, I'd go for one with a longer barrel. Should have thought of this when I wrote the post - but the problem with a .357 snubbie is that the bullet never reaches its maximum possible velocity. A significant portion of the extra powder in the magnum shell burns up past the end of the muzzle - so you get a big flash, big bang, and big kick. With that caliber (and with a number of others), you really need 4 inches to get the bullet up to speed.

Something else to consider - if you're using the smaller firearm for pocket carry: One big advantage of pocket carry is that you can shoot from the pocket. However, this advantage is negated with any semi-automatic (won't eject properly and the round will "stovepipe" in the ejection port). Also, the advantage is negated with a traditional revolver (pocket fabric will bunch under the hammer). Your best choice hands down for pocket carry is a hammerless revolver, which Charter also makes. You do sacrifice accuracy with a double-action-only revolver...but if you're getting to the point of needing it...you're not exactly shooting for bullseyes.

I carry a Taurus 85UL(Paid $249.00 NIB) & a Keltec PF-9 (Paid $239.00 NIB). Both have performed flawlessly for me. I'm sure there are "better", more expensive choices. However, these two "fill the bill" for me.

I have chosen!!

Thanks for all of the advice friends. I must be getting older because back in the day I would read an article about a weapon, then purchase. Now I spend so much time reading and testing rentals that I confuse myself. Regardless, your advice on the .357 barrel length is sage. It would be a tough choice if I had a longer barrel to choose from. But I must say I have settled on the SP101 with the 2 1/4 inch, bobbed hammer spur, hogue grip and a Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe. Now I need range time and practice, practice, and more practice. Choosing ammo is part I most enjoy. Once again, thanks for all the help!!

I don't think you need to worry about the LC9 ever falling apart on you, but the SP-101 is going to give you a better choice in self-defense round in the .357 Mag or even the .327 Federal Mag. If you prefer the 9mm but don't trust the polymer frame of the LC9, don't worry about it...go ahead and get the LC9. (Or...you could just get both.) In either case, get it with the Crimson Trace laser sight.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back