Choosing a new Safe

towboater

Wife and I will be buying a house in a year or so. First big purchase will be a big, heavy, safe. Right now we live in a 3 story apartment, on the top floor. I do have a locking metal "security cabinet." :rolleyes:Due to weight and space allowable, that's it. Gives my wife peace of mind, that the guns are locked. Provides me with room to store and organize. I'm curious to know, what brands are among the best in the business. I know that I need a 35+ gun safe, with a two hour fire rating. Any expertise on this would be appreciated.

I won't say that Cannon is the best.. but they do make a good safe.. knowing that I will be needing to expand in the future,, I will probably be looking at their Armory Series.
Something else you can consider is that if you are going to build it into a walk-in closest, you can provide greater fire protection completely around the cabinet through the use of lining the floor with fire-brick, extra fire-stop sheetrock lining the walls where it will be setting and then using fire-rated insulation between the walls and the cabinet, before builing the facing wall. Thus making the safe very hard to get out of your house and the door the only exposed surface that fire will effect. If you go this way.. think well ahead as you might not be able to change safes easily.
Link Removed

I second Liberty Safes (Residential Security Containers as some may call them). They have a wide selection to fit both budget and space and at least with my local store, the sales people and installers are first class.

Now that I think of it, if you want an actual gun SAFE, check out AMSEC. They make safes that are actually classified as safes and not residential security containers (RSC's) as most all "gun safes" are. Not that there's anything wrong with a Liberty, Cannon, etc. but they can be defeated in rather easy ways most people don't think about despite what the sales people will tell you. Of course you also pay a super premium for a true gun safe so it really comes down to finding a balance of budget and security. I look at RSC's as stopping the typical smash and grab type person and they do a decent to really good job of protecting from fire depending on the model and build materials. For a bad guy who has good knowledge of the typical gun safe, they can be inside in 5 or 10 minutes and you would be surprised how easy it is to move that 1200 lb safe that's bolted to a floor to another location where they can work on longer if needed. Again, it's about finding a balance...do some research, narrow your choices and then go check them out in person. Long winded but hope it helps.

I would look for a safe with external hinges and live bolts on the hinge side. It is sooooooo much easier to move a safe if the door comes off and a thief can spend all their time attacking the hinges and it won't compromise the safe.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back