Choosing a concealed carry when neither really fits the grip.

yellowroses

Not sure if this forum is active since the dates are all one to two years old. Here goes, anyway.

I have decided to conceal carry a double stack mid-sized 9mm pistol. I have checked out the Glock 19 recommended by the men in several gun shops, including the a shop where I know the owner. This sounds like a simple choice because the pistol is highly rated and known to be a good gun. However, I just sold the Glock 23 .40 cal. these same people recommended three years ago because it never fit my hand and I hated to shoot it.

The Glock 19 doesn't fit my hand any differently than the hated Glock 23, but it does fit the under arm holster in my tank top holster. One of your other threads listed a "Top Ten guns for Women" list. Most of them were Glocks. The Abrams tank seems the finest choice, but it is harder to carry than a cop and too difficult to conceal.

My other choice is a CZ P-07 that is the same size as the Glock 19. I have looked at a minimum of 60 articles, reviews, and YouTube videos on both pistols and comparisons of them and then held both in the gun shops. Almost invariably the reviewers will declare the CZ fits their medium sized male hands better and feels wonderful. I have a woman's medium sized hand. The CZ is minimally easier to hold because of its texturing, but does not really have a smaller grip. It seems I will have to learn to handle a pistol with an over sized grip for my hand.

Are there any women who have experience with the mid-sized CZ P-07?

Thank you for any response.
Kate

Rent and try different guns, and if a Glock doesn't 'feel' right in your hands, then it is the wrong gun for you. Don't buy into the "buy a glock, cause everyone has them" nonsense. There are too many other great guns on the market.

My wife carries an XD9 sub-compact, or a Sig P238, and shoots both well.

Thank you for your response, XD40scinNC. Those sub compacts may be very fine guns, but I am set on a mid-size double stack. Specifically interested in the CZ P-07. It has a polymer frame, but it still has some weight to it and therefore has a bit smoother recoil. I am looking for feedback from women who have shot this pistol. I have a feeling the Glock 19 is not going to be a good choice for me and I am hoping my other choice in a mid-size will work out.

Once again, thank you very much for your input.
Kate

Thank you for your response, XD40scinNC. Those sub compacts may be very fine guns, but I am set on a mid-size double stack. Specifically interested in the CZ P-07. It has a polymer frame, but it still has some weight to it and therefore has a bit smoother recoil. I am looking for feedback from women who have shot this pistol. I have a feeling the Glock 19 is not going to be a good choice for me and I am hoping my other choice in a mid-size will work out

Kate

I wouldn't piss away 600+ bucks on a gun that doesn't fit just because I'm "set on a midsized double stack" if you can properly run the gun you're carrying then capacity is meaningless.

Have you tried the M&P line? Did you try the small grips on the Glock? Have you looked at some of the Third Generation S&Ws (6906/915)? I'd do a lot more research before I settled on "the lessor of 2 evils".

BTW The M1A1 gets crappy mileage but it's THE BOMB in traffic

Thank you for your response, XD40scinNC. Those sub compacts may be very fine guns, but I am set on a mid-size double stack. Specifically interested in the CZ P-07. It has a polymer frame, but it still has some weight to it and therefore has a bit smoother recoil. I am looking for feedback from women who have shot this pistol. I have a feeling the Glock 19 is not going to be a good choice for me and I am hoping my other choice in a mid-size will work out.

Kate

The XD is a double stack, and with the extended mag has the capacity of the "full sized" XD, just a shorter barrel. Look at the XD9, if you insist on the "mid" size.

Never buy a gun that you don't like how it feels in your hand. Every bought shoes that just didn't feel right, but figured they would break in or you would get used to them. Sat in your closet unworn didn't they?

Thanks, XD40scinNC, for the Springfield Armory XD-9 suggestion. I will try out the grip this week.

I like the mid-sized for the extra weight and the reduced recoil effect as well as the extra capacity. I have shot other people's pistols at the range and was pleased with the smoothness compared to my guns- two of which are very small and lightweight with strong recoil (S+W 642 38 special revolver, Beretta Nano). I like my revolver, which was my first gun, but will likely sell the sub compact Nano once I find the right mid-size. The "perfect for the little lady" Nano is easy to conceal and lightweight to carry, but I don't like to shoot it in practice.
Kate:smile:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back