Choosing a 1911 to buy

pianomistro

I'd like to know what owners of 1911's would prefer as far as manufacturer and model. I'm interested in buying a custom 1911 .45, and I would like to know of good/bad experiences with them, specifically Sig Sauer GSR Revolutions. Any input would be great.

Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, Sig, Para, it doesn't much matter beyond what feels right in your hand, features and quality being so closely matched. I wandered through several gun shows checking out a variety of .45s and was mildly surprised when I found the gun that "fit my hand" best was a Charles Daley Field model. That was 8 years ago, hundreds of rounds, and the only failures were due to weak side limp-wristing.

Since then, I've grown attached to Para's double-stack 1911's, the PXT and PXT LDA Hi Caps and the Hawg series Hi Caps.

Last edited:
I can only speck on my experience, I have the Kimber CDP Ultra Carry and love it. I feel it is one of the best 1911s out there. I like the way it feels in my hand and the way it shoots. But like was said, you need to look around and fine the one that fits you the best

I'm still a fan of Springfield Armory and Colt.........seems they've lost thier shine with all the others in the market these days but they still make one hell of a 1911!!

Kimber, Wilson, Les Baer, Sig, Para, it doesn't much matter beyond what feels right in your hand, features and quality being so closely matched. I wandered through several gun shows checking out a variety of .45s and was mildly surprised when I found the gun that "fit my hand" best was a Charles Daley Field model. That was 8 years ago, hundreds of rounds, and the only failures were due to weak side limp-wristing.

Since then, I've grown attached to Para's double-stack 1911's, the PXT and PXT LDA Hi Caps and the Hawg series Hi Caps.

+1. I've also heard good things about STI and the Springfield EMP. I personally have a Kimber Ultra carry II and love it. I have yet to have a malfunction and I've run it through the ringer at a few tactical pistol classes. It's also amazing accurate for a compact pistol. Sorry I can not give you more info from the other brands.

Taurus PT1911

The Taurus PT1911 is loaded with high end features for less than $700.00. If you are an a tight budget...(who ain't?), Consider the Taurus. My brother in law owns two Taurus pistols because of the quality and lifetime warranty. My next gun may be a Taurus...Kimber is just too expensive and Wilson Combat is just as spendy!

My daily carry is a Kimber Ultra from custom shop. For full size Wolfhunter pretty well nailed it. But I do like Colt.

So, as far as people's experience is telling me, any gun that feels right will work. So money is the issue. That's one of the reasons I went with wanting a Sig, and not a Kimber. The Kimbers, so I'm told, are awesome guns, and beautiful by the way. And the colt and springfield are functional, inexpensive relatively speaking, but are not as pleasing to the eye. The Sig seems to be in the middle of the two: great quality, looks good, especially custom, and is only about $1100, versus $2500 I've seen for some Kimbers. Thanks everyone for the advice.

1911s

I love the kimber worrior. It handles nice very cofortable in the grips witch is good for me because i have small hands. Now I don't know what your price range is but I also like rock island and springfield is a pretty good modle.

Para Ordnance or Springfield Armory are my choices. I own a Para-Ordnance P-12.45. I have used rental Springfield Armory pistols.

So, as far as people's experience is telling me, any gun that feels right will work. So money is the issue. That's one of the reasons I went with wanting a Sig, and not a Kimber. The Kimbers, so I'm told, are awesome guns, and beautiful by the way. And the colt and springfield are functional, inexpensive relatively speaking, but are not as pleasing to the eye. The Sig seems to be in the middle of the two: great quality, looks good, especially custom, and is only about $1100, versus $2500 I've seen for some Kimbers. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Not sure were you are looking at those prices but aimsurplus.com has three new Kimbers all for under $1000.00.

Kimber Ultra Carry II - $719.95
Kimber Custom II stainless - $ $779.95
Kimber Custom II - $699.95

Even after shipping and the fee for your local dealer to transfer it to you you're still well under $1000.00.

Just an option.

I am not against 1911 styles, but a friend of mine had to draw on a bg last year, and the hammer snagged on his shirt. Adam practiced enough w/ drawing his weapon, but its different when you are a little stressed. he was carrying a colt defender.he liked it up til that point, then traded it for another Glock.
I AM NOT DISSING 1911'S! JUST TRYING TO MAKE A POINT KNOWNThe kid was 17, had a toy gun, & the police caught him. plus, he had possible priors in that park where people were being robbed by someone matching his description. all i am saying is that all you 1911 owners, please just be aware of this potential problem, i would hate to hear of a similar situation that turned out bad for one of us.

I have a lot less personal experience with the 1911 compared with many others on this site. I do not at this time own one although a number of years ago I had a Colt Officer's model. If and when I do buy another I would probably go with something like the little DBL action model from Para Ordnance simply because I myself am not a big fan of the single action auto. I would add like others have said to try out as many as you can before buying because we are all different.

I put Colt at the top with Springfield Armory a close second. These are the only two brands that I own or for that matter would consider owning.
I think Kimber is seriously over rated.

+1 for the Taurus PT1911. It's loaded with features for a great price. The other 1911's mentioned here are excellent, but if it comes down to "bang for your buck", I'd lean towards the Taurus.

1911's to consider

S&W makes some very fine 1911's. I own a full size Govt model and a 4.25 PD Scandium Gunsite model. I love 'em both. Bought both under $1k.

Surfcc

Taurus is a good 1911. I own one and it has never faild to feed or fire. I also have a Kimber ultra carry II and several others that I have paid a lot of money for. I do carry the Kimber all the time but the Taurus is just as good. I sell the Taurus at my shop for about $600.00 and they are total custom. Stay away from ser. 80 colts
there trigers are not that good. Colt is producing a ser. 70 again on public demand. Rock Island and other cheap 1911 clones are not worth the shipping.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back