Cheaper to buy a gun at a store or at a gun show?

tquadeer

Hi everyone, its my first time buying a gun, would it be cheaper to buy it at a store or to buy it at a gun show, and what are the price differences on average?

This would have been a great question in the General Firearm Discussion sub forum. Your question will likely get lost down here in the state-specific forum.

There is no general answer to your question. I am sure others will have a different opinion and will claim that one is better than the other. The best option is to compare prices of what you actually want.

I would suggest you decide the gun you want and get prices from several dealers. It will give you a range of prices. Don't forget to add in background check fees and sales taxes.

Then shop at some gun shows on the last day of the show and near closing time. Have cash on hand to cover the price ranges you have gotten before the show. You may be surprised at the money you can save by doing it this way. The dealer or dealers may have had a bad show and want to move something and having cash in hand can move some to accept offers.

Too many variables for a definitive answer.

Like other posters, I agree that you need to do consumer research and comparison.

Keep in mind, new guns come with warranties and used ones do not. A gun shop might give you some follow-up service but a gun show will not. If you're a newby gun owner you might want to develop a relationship with a full-service gun shop.

Check out the independent reviews for the gun you want. Try to find a shop that will let you handle the model you're interested in.

One thing we've done is go to the gun manufacturer's website and printed out the MSRP for a particular gun. We took it to the gun shop where it's priced higher, and they reduced their price to the MSRP.

Your location makes a difference, too. I live in an area with several convenient, competitive gun shops and frequent gun shows. Not everyone has those options.

Thank you guys! i have posted it in the general firearms discussions as well, i have found the sig p226 that i like, i shot it a few times, and really liked it, but the msrp is really high. so was hoping to find it at the gun show for cheaper, theres one somewhere almost every weekend, i will be going tomorrow for the show in Bloomington, IN.

Hi everyone, its my first time buying a gun, would it be cheaper to buy it at a store or to buy it at a gun show, and what are the price differences on average?

At a gun show you're most likely to pay full retail compared to a gun store like mine where I won't anything anywhere near MSRP. Not all gun stores are alike, that's where you have to know your prices don't let sale signs fool you. Let me know what you're looking at and I'll give you a price in the morning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back