Celebrating Christmas in a politically correct world

Wuzfuz, you do not, I repeat, do NOT have to believe in Christianity or Jesus Christ to celebrate Christmas. The holiday, on December 25th, is called Christmas Day. It is a Christian holiday, yet a lot of non-Christians celebrate it. My sister and her family are Jewish, and they have a Christmas tree, and open presents on the 25th. It is true that the date was chosen to coincide with a pagan holiday to make it popular with converts, but for most of history, the day has been called Christmas, and celebrates the birth of Jesus (although His birth was probably NOT on 12/25). So celebrating Christmas doesn't mean anyone is shoving anything down your throat. You don't even have to celebrate it if you don't want to. But may I ask if you have and decorate a tree, hang stockings, or read "The Night Before Christmas" to your kids? Do you have lights on your house? Do you open presents on Christmas morning? Even Santa Claus says, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!"

So chill out and stop acting like anyone is trying to convert you or indoctrinate you. If you're an atheist, so be it. If you're a Buddhist, fine. If you believe in Allah...well, let's not go too far here (although even Islam knows of Jesus as a great prophet). The day is, and always will be, Christmas. Us Christians celebrate it, and invite you to join in on the fun, even if you do want to take it secular. What is wrong with saying "Merry Christmas?" It doesn't make you a Christian, but at least you'll be admitting that the name of the day is Christmas. And if you can't do that, then do not object to the "PC" apellation. Because that is what you will be, politically correct. That is, refusing to accept this day the way it is known all over the world.

And have a Merry Christmas, too. I'm sure Santa hasn't forgotten you.:biggrin:

I would like to add to that whether someone is a Christian or not, if someone says Merry Christmas to them, that's a good thing. The PC crowd doesn't seem to realize that when someone says Mery Christmas to someone else, they're wishing them well. What's wrong with that?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back